• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Heya folks. In last couple of days I switched from PC to Mac. My Production Premium 5.5 is now useless because it’s for windows only, so I had to get CS6 upgrade for Mac. I ordered one via reseller here in Sarajevo and I’m waiting for that. Since I wanted to test out the Mac and I still didn’t receive my CS6 package I downloaded AE CC to test it out.

Man it’s slow. Sure, cache is a great thing, but working in it, for example, zooming with camera, or moving 3D layers, horrible! And, no, I’m not in raytraced comp, just normal 3d comp. Not to talk about raytraced stuff, that’s horrible. Then, when you want to use multiprocessing, you have to switch off all the effects and stuff which are not supported by it, and once you do that, multiprocessing needs quite some time till it starts working, then it goes pretty well. Although, the RAM previews are not as much as a problem as workflow is. Just painfully slow. I’ve also read some forum threads on adobe’s website, people having same problems.

Now, what I need to know, since I ordered already my CS6 package, is AE CS6 also like this? Please, anyone who has CS6, could you tell me more? Thanks in advance.

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • United Kingdom
+5 more
felt_tips Volunteer moderator says

Classic 3D shouldn’t be any slower, although because the frame-caching now reads ahead for the whole comp, interaction can be somewhat scuppered by the global cache, that’s designed to speed everything up. One way to overcome this is to turn Show Cache Indicators off in the comp settings. This is annoying if you’re used to working with them, but I generally work with them off these days.

As for ray-traced. It’s fundamentally slow. There’s a very specific way to work with ray-traced to get it to work decently fast.

Check out my Overview tut for Awesome text presets. There’s some stuff about working faster with RT in there. Even so, I do find that if you split RT into two segments with a 2D breaker for instance, everything starts to crawl.

I’d love to see Adobe optimize the ray-tracer. There’s tons they could do to speed it up IMHO. Simple stuff like back-face culling / non-self-shadowing / self-reflecting option etc.

2254 posts Small, but tough
  • Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Felt, you are talking about CS6, right?

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more

Felt, you are talking about CS6, right?

CS6 and CC. The global cache and ray-tracing both work more or less identically in both.

339 posts
  • United Kingdom
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
StencilMedia says

I’ve noticed that. I’m a big fan of the old ‘page up’ and ‘page down’ action… although there’s easier ways to do it, if I want to move forward 20 frames then I’ll just tap page down 20 times. That’s the way I like it.

In CS6 I’d tap it 20 times, wait half a second or so and then the time indicator is where it should be. Now in CC, I do the same thing and I’m waiting about 5 seconds or more for everything to update. Also, there can be a second or so from clicking on file/edit/window etc for the menu to open. Sure, 1 second is no big deal, but it can get a bit frustrating when you’re pressing something and waiting for stuff to happen.

This happens in a standard comp, 2d or 3d, no plugins, minimal layers/effects etc etc. Just seems really sluggish.

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more

I’ve noticed that. I’m a big fan of the old ‘page up’ and ‘page down’ action… although there’s easier ways to do it, if I want to move forward 20 frames then I’ll just tap page down 20 times. That’s the way I like it.

In CS6 I’d tap it 20 times, wait half a second or so and then the time indicator is where it should be. Now in CC, I do the same thing and I’m waiting about 5 seconds or more for everything to update. Also, there can be a second or so from clicking on file/edit/window etc for the menu to open. Sure, 1 second is no big deal, but it can get a bit frustrating when you’re pressing something and waiting for stuff to happen.

This happens in a standard comp, 2d or 3d, no plugins, minimal layers/effects etc etc. Just seems really sluggish.

Same advice: Turn off “Show Cache Indicators”.

• Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Where is that exactly?

4792 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Community Moderator
  • Beta Tester
  • United Kingdom
+5 more

Where is that exactly?

On the right-hand-side of the timeline, there’s a little triangle which brings up a drop down menu. It’s in there.

• Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

That helped in scrolling trough timeline, great tip! But, I still have problems. I’ll record and post here, so you guys can see what’s the problem.

• Elite Author
  • Bosnia and Herzegovina
+4 more
EFEKT_Studio says

I recorded a video so you guys can see whats going on… any help would be much appreciated.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhbVRSoFTWE&feature=youtu.be
by
by
by
by
by
by