5177 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Helps us moderate the forums
  • Provided great contribution to our forums
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

Filed. But I kinda doubt they’ll fix it. I mean CS5.5 (in my case) is not on their list of priorities.

Yeah… but you’re using CS5.5 because you find CS6+ too slow. So if they fixed that, everything would be fine. :-)

1042 posts Massfocus
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has referred 500+ members
+7 more
Massfocus says

Without opening a new thread, was just wondering the following. Can i still add items to the exchange or is it disabled for After Effects? I somehow can’t access the exchange panel through CC. Sorry if it’s too off-topic.

2353 posts Small, but tough
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Filed. But I kinda doubt they’ll fix it. I mean CS5.5 (in my case) is not on their list of priorities.
Yeah… but you’re using CS5.5 because you find CS6+ too slow. So if they fixed that, everything would be fine. :-)

btw, there is a probability that I’m one of the minority of people who find CS6/CC slow… What do you say, felt?

1042 posts Massfocus
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+7 more
Massfocus says

btw, there is a probability that I’m one of the minority of people who find CS6/CC slow… What do you say, felt?

If that’s the case i’m in that minority as well. CS6 and CC just feel very sluggish compared to older versions, and i’m talking slower even when i launch it with a fresh install without a single plugin + script VS an older AE version with dozens of plugins and scripts running.

Odd but sadly true in my case.

5177 posts
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I don’t think I’ve got it as bad as you, but my experience is that CC and CS6 behave very sluggishly in certain situations. Ironically, I’m pretty certain it’s to do with the global performance cache in many instances – and often enough, turning off the little green/blue cache indicator bar for a comp can work wonders with speeding things up.

Long expressions are certainly slower to process. 3D scenes where the 3Dness is split by 2D layers seems to be exceptionally sluggish. Paint can be slow too.

I’m very much hoping that the Adobe team will concentrate on streamlining After Effects in the future and making sure it runs as fast and as smooth as it should do in this day and age. I can live without some bells and whistles for that.

In the interim, I would very much like to have a switch to turn the global performance cache off completely.

105 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
ToddKopriva says

felt_tips reported some bugs that in this area (caches and expressions), and we recently got fixes in, which are due for release in a few weeks. The specific bugs that I’m thinking of were actually because some third-party plug-ins weren’t doing what they were supposed to be doing, and we got fixes from the makers of those plug-ins.

And the menu/shortcut slowdown (a separate bug much talked about on this thread) was one that was introduced because of a component that After Effects incorporates from another group in the company, so it took a little more wrangling to get that fix.

My point is simply that we are working on these bugs, but sometimes the fixes take a little longer than we’d like because we’re dealing with a complex system. This is not meant as an excuse, but rather to explain that some fixes can’t be turned around by us instantaneously.

+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says
105 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
ToddKopriva says

The majority of the issues that you list there (as well as many more) are fixed in the After Effects CC (12.1) update, due out in a few weeks.

Also, the After Effects CS6 (11.0.3) update – which I’m finishing testing on this morning – fixes more than a dozen problems in After Effects CS6, including the most frequent causes of crashes and several slowdowns (such as a couple reported by felt_tips).

The claim is not that the recent releases are problem-free; no software is. But the rate of crashing and the percentage of users encountering bugs has been dropping steadily over the past few versions. I’m sorry that you’ve been hit by some of the remaining problems, but this does not mean that overall the software has gotten worse. And, as I’ve said several times, the problem that started this conversation has been fixed, and the fix will be out soon.

@felt – I don’t think I’m minority. There is a bunch of people with bad experiences in AE CS6 and CC: * AE CC Slow after latest update? * Clogged up memory * After Effects CS6 Crashing – RAM Preview + Streaming Audio/Video * After Effects CC really slow in response * Weird glitching problem with AE CC [video] * Numbers effect keeps crashing After Effects CC * Possible Solution to AE CS6 and CC Slow Performance, Multiprocessor Rendering and Disk Cache Issues * etc…
5177 posts
+12 more
felt_tips Moderator says

I can certainly confirm, that the vast majority of bugs that I’ve ever submitted (and I’ve submitted quite a lot) have been fixed in the following release. If you report ‘em and can create a reproducible case (that’s the hard part) the Ae team will fix ‘em.

+9 more
EFEKT_Studio says

Thanks for the info Todd. There would be no happier person from me to have AE working properly. I look forward to fast, bug free (or at least minimum) after effects.

by
by
by
by
by
by