68 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
sidigrid says

Hi everyone, Well,i am new to TF and have been really excited to participate in putting my designs forward. But alas, after a few trials my three templates got rejecting. (PSD templates). I trust in TF’s capability of judging a templates value.Hence i am also sure that my designs lacked something that TF really looks at. Everytime my template got rejected with comment that its not upto the aesthetics. Now,i really dont know what all factors would be important while designing a template. A few things i know are:

To be original To use limited fonts,colors. To be creative.

But are there any other aspects that need to be kept in mind? Like the functionalities or additional features?....hmmm…Please help out guys..I really want to design something worth TF’s approval.Atleast i can rise to its standards..Please do guide…

Thank You..

Three templates i designed.(only the home page links)

http://picasaweb.google.com/sidigrid/Work#5361902514768574082

68 posts
sidigrid says

hmm,no replies yet….Do post back something to help me out people..

101 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
LoewenWeb says

Hi sidigrid, I’ll just comment on the first 2 as the third is too much like an existing PSD design uploaded recently. Here’s a few suggestions:

- Your designs have effects that detract from the content. Scale back on the large drop shadows and glows. If you want to keep them, take a look at some shadows around you, and try to match how they look. Still, stay away from them at first.

- Try out some different fonts. Using Myriad Pro can look great, but most visitors wont have it installed, so its better to use Arial, Verdana, Lucida Sans, and other web safe fonts for your body text. Also size down your main text and increase leading to help the readability.

- Overall attention to detail. Keep margins and padding consistent throughout, and re-use design elements. An example of this would be using the same type of border for your thumbnails as the featured header image. Also, design with flexibility in mind. Your navigation buttons are very large, so buyers won’t have much room to add extra links.

I think it would help you to take a look at well established designers like jasonsantamaria.com, subtraction.com, snook.ca, among others to see how they treat typography. A solid background in graphic design priciples really, really helps produce a pleasing design.

Hope that helps.

68 posts
sidigrid says
Hi sidigrid, I’ll just comment on the first 2 as the third is too much like an existing PSD design uploaded recently. Here’s a few suggestions: - Your designs have effects that detract from the content. Scale back on the large drop shadows and glows. If you want to keep them, take a look at some shadows around you, and try to match how they look. Still, stay away ….....

Thank You LoewenWeb. I now understand the faults. On a whole, the template is not polished to look neat. So, i will have to work on fine tuning everything and alter it so that it enhances the usability. Hmm…

by
by
by
by
by
by