5 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
westick says

I’m trying to outsource the full process of setting up my website. After I bought a theme from ThemeForest.net, what will I need to get the website up and ready to handle my products and be a fully operational website?

I was told that the developer will require additional setup of coding and MYSQL database installation for the website to be fully operational? Is that true? Can someone put it in simple words after buying a theme what will be required from scratch?

Thank you

3885 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 500+ items on Envato Market
  • Nominated Community Superstar of the month
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
charlie4282 says

It totally depends on what the file was you bought and what you are trying to achieve.

If it is just HTML then you probably would not need to get involved with MySQL. If it is Wordpress or some form of commerce then yes you will need to make some further modifications.

Either way you will need your own domain and hosting and if you are new to it then it may be worth hiring a freelancer to help you and save time and stress.

5 posts
westick says

Thank you for the reply Charlie. Yes, its an eCommerce by Magento. I bought this theme from ThemeForest ” http://themeforest.net/item/breeze-responsive-magento-theme/4119267 ” and thought as it is responsive I will save on a mobile site as well.

From what you said, I will need further modifications on MYSQL etc to get the above theme fully operational right? Including the mobile site, they have to do some modifications as well?

1612 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Contributed a free file of the month
+9 more
DaniMun says

A Magento setup requires access to an SQL database in order to work. If you already have bought a domain name along with a hosting package, then you most likely already have at least 1 SQL database ready to be used tied to that hosting package.

3885 posts
+1 more
charlie4282 says

Hi, OK Magento is a little more complicated as it is a very powerful solution. Yes you will need to set up Magento as a platform and install the theme on there, then input all of your copy, images, products and their details etc to populate it.

As far as a mobile site goes you will not need to do anything. Responsive means that the site itself resizes and shapes to optimize for mobile browsing.

Its not overly difficult (although a little time consuming with commerce!), BUT if you are new to it then it is more complex than say Wordpress so hand on heart if you have the budget then you will be grateful long term to hire some help at least to get it installed and set up properly and then for them to either populate it for you or show you how it is done so you can become accustomed yourself.

As w esaid first of all you need a domain and hosting of your own on which to install it all.

Hopefully that helps feel free to ask nay other questions

1612 posts
+9 more
DaniMun says

In regards to the mobile site, the Breeze theme is already responsive, that is, will self adjust to provide the best visual and interactive experience for the visitor when open on a mobile device. You can read more about responsive design here.

1612 posts
+9 more
DaniMun says

LOL Charlie beat me to it :D

3885 posts
+1 more
charlie4282 says

ha ha DaniMun – too tired after your detective work earlier! That was awesome stuff. Sorry @westick digressing from topic temporarily!

5 posts
westick says

Ok because I’ve outsourced the task and they are charging me around $675 for the task to install it and some modifications that I requested but now they are saying that they need to do coding to integrate with Magento and setup the SQL while I have a my domain and a good hosting plan that includes SQL database and they are asking me to buy the wordpress version of Breeze theme as it is easier to setup?

What do you think? Should I insist on Magento or will wordpress do the job as well? I want a good user experience, my products will be satisfied with any setup not needing a very very professional platform as im only starting up a wall decals business.

What will be the difference between a Magento setup and a Wordpress setup?

1612 posts
+9 more
DaniMun says

@charlie LOL I guess you’re right :D

@westick if you wanna hire a freelancer to help you with the setup and teach you the basic stuff, feel free to drop me an email via my profile page.

by
by
by
by
by
by