897 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
uziiuzair says

Buying my first Macbook next week. But I need advice on which one to get.
After reading the specs on both the devices, I realized both Macbook Air and Pro 13inch fit my needs. But lets talk about long term.

I would be using the new laptop for web designing (basically) but since I’m going to college after a few months, (Where I would be studying Animation) I would need a laptop for that too. Luckily The Macbook Air comes with either 4GB or 8GB of memory. But the processor is not very good.

Which is why I need help deciding which one to buy. I need it for long term. And I would not be gaming on it. So yes, Any help? :/

7769 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has referred 10+ members
+4 more
doru says

me take will be to buy a similar priced notebook but not from apple.

4 Gb is nothing and 8Gb is not so great also. If you can find one with 16Gb it will be great. For webdesign you may get away with less ram but for animation is really a problem.

Depending of what you will do off course.

4343 posts ThemeForest Reviewer
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
Ivor Envato team says

If you can afford it get a MacBook Pro Retina Display.

98 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
bluexmusic says

If you’re trying to future-proof yourself…you should go with the Pro.

My Macbook Pro is still going strong after 5+ years. I don’t do animation, but I work as a professional video editor (HD, loads of rendering, etc.), and wrote music with it on the side. I brought it back & forth from the office every day for over 4 years (setup, tear down), and it hasn’t given me any issues.

It has now become my backup computer (it stays at my workplace) – as it only has 4GB of memory and a small hard drive (250 GB).

I now use a new 21.5 iMac with 16GB memory & a fusion drive for all of my music! Quite happy with both purchases.

Good luck in your decision! :)

60 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
GiraffeJiujitsu says

In my experience it is better to spend the extra cash and get the more premier item – especially something that will be a tool, entertainment, and work device for you for a few years to come.

Go with the Pro!

1678 posts Building the Web.
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+7 more
ZoomIt says

Pro with Retina Display. It’s not much thicker and heavier but it’s more powerful, more crisp and more smooth, even more professional looking. In the long term you will need the more powerful one, especially for Photoshop.

897 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
+4 more
uziiuzair says

Hmm, I think I’ll get the Pro then :)

I was looking through some other options, Does anyone have experience with a Mac Mini?

1485 posts LoveThemes
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
LoveThemes says

If you can afford it get a MacBook Pro Retina Display.

+1

Also, a 13” Air is just too small for design/dev work. I bought the 15” MBP Retina, never looked back, great machine.

304 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
Endat says

I was told to get a Pro. But I got a 13” Air and it is the perfect size. Very good battery life and it is not as bad as people told me, it is’t slow and the screen isn’t too small. In fact, there is nothing the Pro has that I am missing out on by having the Air. It is 4 years old now and the Air hasn’t changed (and probably won’t). It has the latest software and still fits my Mac needs just fine.

Also if I need a bigger screen, I plug it into my 42” TV.

But why Mac? Do you not know a lot about computers?

163 posts World Director
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+6 more
dedalx says

Air is perfect and its not so hot as PRO. All MBP is hot (even newest with new CPU) and this is very bad when you work in hot countries or in summer. This is impossible to work on MPB in hot days or under hot sun. Air is cold, light and easy to take with you (and cheaper). And its extremaly fast for work for Envato (I think you will not use your macbook for 3DSMAX animation rendering or so, so you don’t need MPB). I have both and iMacs, and can say that Air is better for outdoor work.

by
by
by
by
by
by