• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
brainbuzzmedia says

My new theme has 128 sales. Of those 128 people, most don’t ever contact me about anything. Of the people that do contact me, the majority are for support but there are still several that send me an email or a comment just to say that they really liked the theme.

There have been at least two dozen people that have told me how much they like the theme and the majority of those have thanked me for my fast / helpful support.

The theme has only 6 ratings.

It has three stars.

The only people that have had problems are people who are doing something wrong completely independent of my theme such as:

- having server problems
- customizing the theme and breaking things
- installing the entire file they get from tf and saying the theme doesn’t work
etc.

There has been a guy who has posted comments about things not working, then threatened to get a refund, then a day or so later came back and said that it was actually their fault because it was a problem with the server and that the theme looks great. I was helping this guy politely the entire time.

There are no problems with the theme whatsoever that are unsolved and plaguing customers.

There is no system in place to even remotely encourage buyers who are satisfied with what they buy to rate the product.

The only system that is in place is an outlet for buyers who are disgruntled for any reason at all to give a 1 star rating completely anonymously, and give absolutely no feedback as to why.

Oh well, what can you really do but start a new file and hope you don’t get screwed on the new one.

1950 posts Do the Needful
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has attended an Envato Live event
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Beta Tester
+6 more
JamiGibbs says

I agree with you, brainbuzzmedia. I think at the very least, purchasers who give a low star rating should at least provide some feedback as to why they’re rating it that way.

This has been discussed on the forums many times before and the staff is aware that authors are interested in an improvement to the ratings system. No word yet on when it will change though.

Moving this over to ‘Site Feedback’. :)

328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
CLINE123 says

I agree. Just checked and I have purchased 40 items and rated about 10. Of those 10 most were as a result of the excellent support of the authors who responded to my issues when I really needed them resolved, which I felt so appreciative in the moment that I immediately went to show my appreciation.

The others were just in passing when I felt in the mood, and the rest that I didn’t rate were because I had absolutely no problems.

Yes I agree I had absolutely no problems and was completely satisfied and I should have rated but I didn’t.

A theme with high sales but no ratings do not affect my decision to buy it. But a theme with less than 4 stars, I don’t even bother to look at as I don’t want to take the chance. I’m buying themes for clients and I have no time to risk on a a theme with issues. real or imagined but the stars make the difference for me.

So stars are important and may be affecting sales of really good themes which is a shame as there are probably many other buyers like me (and this is my opinion of myself) who has a good working knowledge of WP to try to figure things out first before contacting the author and would only contact them if absolutely necessary.

307 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
brainbuzzmedia says

Yeah thats what i mean, the requirement of only 3 votes before a rating is shown is so low as well that even one spiteful rating could ruin your sales. I know it has been discussed before but in my opinion there no amount of threads about it is too much until it becomes a top priority to fix.

328 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
CLINE123 says

@brainbuzzmedia & JamieGibbs- This issue has been raised time and again on these forum I’ve observed but sadly not resolved. Hopefully Envato is working on something.

I think a review system should include comments with the rating. Just like the theme comments, one would be able to easily distinguish between a genuine or spiteful rating. Additionally the ability to rate the review (a la Amazon) would be helpful. I would put more stock in a review by one of my fellow commentors on TF who I respect and see regularly on these forums and be more inclined to buy, bookmark or suggest to a client.

A good review from a top commentor would do a lot for a up and coming author who who’d probably get missed and not necessarily an obscure author and this goes to show how this forum is useful—> I missed the Clockstone theme (not bookmarking it and then forgot) until Tonvie pointed it out in a thread and it so happened that I have just the client for it and will buy this week.

That being said, a review feature should be looked at in some form or fashion as well in addition to the rating system.

@brainbuzzmedia- I bookmarked your Class theme :).

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

I have a solution for those who are not web friendly and cannot hover the stars and they click and click for everything => YOU GET ONE STAR . Make the rating system using a drop down with the stars on the right and the quantity written on the left. Will be simple and will be a big improvement, trust me!

30 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • United States
PleaseR says
1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
contempoinc says
86 posts
  • Belgium
  • Exclusive Author
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
BrentChesny says

Would be nice to get an official word on this, other than ‘stay tuned’.

271 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
KiaJavid says
duotive said
I have a solution for those who are not web friendly and cannot hover the stars and they click and click for everything => YOU GET ONE STAR . Make the rating system using a drop down with the stars on the right and the quantity written on the left. Will be simple and will be a big improvement, trust me!

+1 Good thinking and simple to implement.

by
by
by
by
by
by