• Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
+1 more
doru says

yes indeed, but I need to open my clients files that are made with flash or other programs like after effects or photoshop. We are trapped, is a monopoly of the design tool market.

Considering the alternative to a monopoly is multiple vendors each with equally popular products, your point seems to have zero validity. If that were the case you’d have to buy more different versions of software to be able to make sure you could open all your client’s files, not less…

The only good that typically comes from any monopoly is consistency, and you’re complaining about the consistency of software version usage not being to your liking and saying it’s the fault of a monopoly. That’s like saying “Having a slow car sucks because of all the speeding tickets I get.” ....yeah, you can still get speeding tickets in your old clunker, but I hardly think that the car is the cause of the effect…in fact if anything it’s stopping you from getting even more tickets.

Same with adobe’s monopoly. Complain about having to update to a new software version every 2 years all you want, but the alternative is buying 5 different company’s software versions each on a 2 year cycle. Are there other valid arguments for why a monopoly is bad? Absolutely!...I’m just saying this is definitely not one of them.

It appears to miss the obvious advantage in a competitive market, the price drop. Instead of costing 1000 euro one software, if the competition is genuine, a piece of software will cost way less. Being a monopoly the big player can ask for whatever it wants and deliver bad and unoptimized software. Did you not notice that Adobe starting working on a 3D flash player with hardware support after the rise of unity? If unity have not been around do you think adobe will have worked on this molehill api? I think not.

There are no advantages in a monopoly, for nobody than the owner of that monopoly.

1660 posts
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
+4 more
flashedge says

I remember that hardware acceleration was announced something like 5 years ago. Let’s hope it’s about time, otherwise flash will be devoured.

556 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United States
ThemeScience says

I remember that hardware acceleration was announced something like 5 years ago. Let’s hope it’s about time, otherwise flash will be devoured.

Everything Is Modular now, and RSL (Runtime Shared Library Based) now, and things have tremendously improved over the last 3 years.

Its truly a new era of web on the horizon.

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+1 more
RimmonTrieu says

@doru: why do you have to pay up to 1k euro for Flash pro ? Don’t you have any previous version because the upgrading cost is much less then that. I’m not willing to spend money for buying new software either but paying 200$ after 2 years is not the end of the world to me !

http://www.adobe.com/products/flash/buying-guide.displayTab3.html

I don’t know where do you got the idea of Unity force Flash to support hardware acceleration, Unity player on the web is minority why do they have to be scare of it. In fact, number of Flash developer start experimenting with Unity is the most reason that make it more well known among developers. You also seem to misunderstand that Unity compete directly to Flash, pretty much like the FUD of html5 vs Flash.

5761 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@doru: why do you have to pay up to 1k euro for Flash pro ? Don’t you have any previous version because the upgrading cost is much less then that. I’m not willing to spend money for buying new software either but paying 200$ after 2 years is not the end of the world to me !

Price is not important for already established individuals / businesses but for new users (web based) with present image of Adobe and Flash not a good business strategy. And they proven that going to charge for minor upgrades. Anyway, I am seeing a titanic started sinking and what we can do is just watching! :D

I wouldn’t be surprised if Apple releases a competitive photo editing software with windows support. They know the business, marketing and technology and their timing of releases are so good. Adobe doesn’t looks like having in-depth industry vision. Their only plus point is they are established in few industries but proven that they can be easily shaken.

7185 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

You are speaking about dollars, price of software in Europe is way higher. But the price of the upgrade is determined by the full price. So if one pay the full price or the upgrade is the same argument anyway. I s not that I’m speaking exclusively about me, and I’m not angry only for myself. I’m referring to the general condition we are in.

I don’t know where do you got the idea of Unity force Flash to support hardware acceleration, Unity player on the web is minority why do they have to be scare of it. In fact, number of Flash developer start experimenting with Unity is the most reason that make it more well known among developers. You also seem to misunderstand that Unity compete directly to Flash, pretty much like the FUD of html5 vs Flash.

Well, I do not need to get an idea from someone :) I can combine knowledge and draw conclusions by myself.

Unity competes with flash in the game market. It allows a game developer with some experience to make the jump to something way more professional than what adobe offers. Then there’s the html 5 hype that you point it out that competes on some level with flash. We throw in the competition from Apple and you get what VF said “titanic started sinking”.

May not see that much now but give people a couple of months and then check how unity is doing.

check this game list:

http://unity3d.com/gallery/game-list/

a year ago was like three games there and now look at that :)

not that I’m a fan boy of unity, I’m just analyzing the elements we have. Like we are 7 billion people and we should be happy we only have flash?

1633 posts fueledweb.com
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
+1 more
RimmonTrieu says

not that I’m a fan boy of unity, I’m just analyzing the elements we have. Like we are 7 billion people and we should be happy we only have flash?

No I don’t hate Unity, html5 or any ongoing web technology, I just hate the fact that I don’t have any spare time to play with them.

The point is people tend to be so conservative about their favourite technology and much likely to abuse the other one if they don’t satisfy with some aspect, regardless any positive thing about it. I’m neutral and always see each one have its own use. I’ll never make a heavy text content website with Flash but I won’t try to bend html5 video capability to replace Flash video api ever.

There is also so much thing to argue about company’s monopoly. For me it’s just the way it is, they are company and making money after all. Apple’s monopoly is the most ugly one that no one have ever mentioned, to develop iOS app natively I’ll have to buy a $3k MBP at first, then software IDE and their developer program fee every year. I can whine a full day about Apple pretty much like your unsatisfying with Adobe.

And why would you think Unity developers want to implement a cross platform solution to export unity app to Flash ? It’s the large market that Flash offer and Unity will get much popularity among Flash developers, I don’t see any competition I just see a various choice of technology.

1234 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • United States
MBMedia says

I disagree that the price would lower by the amount necessary to make up for having to buy multiple company’s software packages. I just really doubt that if there were 5 competing companies that all 5 would be selling their products for considerably less than 1/5th of the current prices.

I never said monopolies were good (in fact I believe I said the opposite). I’m just saying that your particular point you’re trying to argue for why monopolies aren’t good doesn’t really work, pick one of the other arguments to back :)

7185 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
+1 more
doru says

I disagree that the price would lower by the amount necessary to make up for having to buy multiple company’s software packages. I just really doubt that if there were 5 competing companies that all 5 would be selling their products for considerably less than 1/5th of the current prices.

well you can have your opinion, but the facts are facts. I will give you a real example. Here, on activeden. There is a lot of competition going on and the price of a template that normally should cost some couple of thousands of dollars, is ridiculous low. So when there’s competition price tend to drop, heavily.

by
by
by
by
by
by