41 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Germany
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
Caldazar says

Hi,

I’m planning to sell some of my applications on CodeCanyon but have a question regarding the licencing model being used here.

I’m an advocat of the GPL and up to now use it exclusively. Is there any way how this is compatible with CodeCanyon’s licencing model?

If not, would it be acceptable to tell people to just pirate my stuff if they want to test and/or improve it? Also, can I host my applications on github for example and still sell it on CodeCanyon?

670 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+1 more
Typps says

Hi,

I’m planning to sell some of my applications on CodeCanyon but have a question regarding the licencing model being used here.

I’m an advocat of the GPL and up to now use it exclusively. Is there any way how this is compatible with CodeCanyon’s licencing model?

If not, would it be acceptable to tell people to just pirate my stuff if they want to test and/or improve it? Also, can I host my applications on github for example and still sell it on CodeCanyon?

So what your saying is that you’d like to provide or already provide GPL’d products hosted on github. You then want to sell more commercial friendly licenses and support to those products here ?

You will only know after submitting your item for review. Make sure you explain this in your submission. They will notify you on acceptance or rejection.

Does your product that is already available freely, provide enough incentive to further spend money on for a much broader license ? It sounds like a hard sell IMHO but depends on the product and who your target audience is.

One has to keep in mind that GPL is already free and the only reason to buy a commercial friendly license at this point is only for support or if one plan’s on combining the code in a commercial product. This limits your audience heavily.

This means the marketplace gets penalized because there is no incentive for them to provide a place for it ( there are no sales, because everybody is getting it from your github page). Meanwhile, other authors providing an item with similar functionality will suffer. End result, nobody makes a sale, but your github page gets popular :P

41 posts
  • Located in Germany
Caldazar says

Thanks for your reply.

So what your saying is that you’d like to provide or already provide GPL’d products hosted on github. You then want to sell more commercial friendly licenses and support to those products here ?
Actually I’d want to keep it GPL’d here too, which would factually render CodeCanyon’s licence as “won’t enforce” (which I wouldn’t do anyways).

I thought there might have been a precedence here, as I can’t imagine being the first developer on CodeCanyon thinking about that and not being that cool with unfree licences.

Regarding the drawbacks you mentioned: Let’s face it, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out where I could pirate most of the packages sold here. So I’m not creating any new facts on this field.

All I am doing is to provide the users of my software with certain freedoms which allow them in return to cooperate more effectively with me.

Being the copyright holder and the guy who knows the ins and outs of his software means I am still the source and the center of all the action. Except I end up with a much better product for me to sell to those who are willing and (only) able to contribute with their money.

I’m not going Stallman here, I’m not talking idealism. All I’m saying is if your business model as a software developer depends on prohibiting such freedoms – in the internet, in 2013 – you’re screwed anyway. I won’t even try to go down this path.

670 posts
+1 more
Typps says

Actually I’d want to keep it GPL’d here too, which would factually render CodeCanyon’s licence as “won’t enforce” (which I wouldn’t do anyways).

In this case you have a license compatibility issue which you seem to be already aware of.

Regarding the drawbacks you mentioned: Let’s face it, it took me about 5 minutes to figure out where I could pirate most of the packages sold here. So I’m not creating any new facts on this field.
There is a difference between downloading software to which you have rights and downloading software illegally. This would be illegal and is a bad example to use. I’m not going to expand on this further as there isn’t anymore to add.

All I am doing is to provide the users of my software with certain freedoms which allow them in return to cooperate more effectively with me. Being the copyright holder and the guy who knows the ins and outs of his software means I am still the source and the center of all the action. Except I end up with a much better product for me to sell to those who are willing and (only) able to contribute with their money.

I’m not going Stallman here, I’m not talking idealism. All I’m saying is if your business model as a software developer depends on prohibiting such freedoms – in the internet, in 2013 – you’re screwed anyway. I won’t even try to go down this path.

I don’t want to provide kindling for some religious debate so I’ll just limit myself to saying that the GPL is fine if you like it, but just because you prefer GPL does not make the business model here obsolete. In fact, it’s quite successful and you wouldn’t be inquiring here otherwise. So why try to change a model that is actually working and quite well for the rest of us?

You say the business model here prohibits freedom, yet, the licensing allows certain freedoms you cannot get with GPL software. There is a reason why MYSQL got successful, later aquired by Oracle. They weren’t just selling support. They also choose to go the Quid Pro Quo route, something you are unwilling to do.

Since your software is GPL and you have no plans to commercializing it, i.e. selling a license why eyeball this marketplace at all ? IMHO, for the kind of collaboration you speak of, [github/codeplex/sourceforge/google code] are better equipped to handle your scenario.

Good luck with your project :)

41 posts
  • Located in Germany
Caldazar says
No religious debate here, fret not.
So why try to change a model that is actually working and quite well for the rest of us?
That’s not my intention at all. My question aims to whether also including the GPL in my packages to let the customer chose which one to use would be acceptable for CodeCanyon and the community here.
Since your software is GPL and you have no plans to commercializing it, i.e. selling a license why eyeball this marketplace at all ?
Again, you misunderstand my intention. I actually make a living commercializing my GPL’d software.

I want to sell my software either under CodeCanyon’s licence or under the GPL, however the customer chooses. I neither need to remove the former nor display the GPL in a similarily prominent place on this website.

So figuratively speaking: I want to sell my tomatoes the same way you do. I’m just asking whether I’m allowed to allow my customers to take the seeds in it and grow their own tomatoes if they choose to.

670 posts
+1 more
Typps says

So figuratively speaking: I want to sell my tomatoes the same way you do. I’m just asking whether I’m allowed to allow my customers to take the seeds in it and grow their own tomatoes if they choose to.

You’ll have to write a support ticket. That’s the only way to get an authoritative answer. Generally speaking, if your item is also available else where, you lose your exclusivity. What you can do is provide a better/more current version to your product here with Envato. This should guarantee that you remain an exclusive author and your github page could serve as a demo version ( try before you buy sort of thing).

Sadly I have no authority in the matter and know of no precedence. If you happen to contact support, keep us posted!

41 posts
  • Located in Germany
Caldazar says

Thanks again for your answers. I’ll contact support and keep you informed.

As a sidenote regarding github: This doesn’t necessarily mean to bundle an application there the same way I’d do here.

I always develop modular, meaning that most application have dependencies. Those dependencies normally aren’t included in the same repo as the application depending on them. Here a different approach is needed. I’d have to bundle the application with all its dependencies in one package.

Taking other hurdles into consideration like having to do some git stuff, cloning, etc., my selling point here wasn’t affected at all: convenience (the reason people still buy tomatoes or go to restaurants or bakeries). So the exclusivety point is quite debatable too. The previews here are by far more threatening to this policy, whether you want to take piracy as a matter of fact into consideration or not.

But yes, support ticket …

670 posts
+1 more
Typps says

So the exclusivety point is quite debatable too. The previews here are by far more threatening to this policy, whether you want to take piracy as a matter of fact into consideration or not.

Yeah, put that way it does indeed, but you have to also consider that you are directly making code available when it’s on a source code repository, while on a preview, the intention is to only give a demonstration. But I see your point :P

Anyway, I hope you get a positive response from support.

41 posts
  • Located in Germany
Caldazar says
Ok, now I have officially what I already suspected.
Sorry for our delay while this was looked into further but essentially, you will need to stick with our licensing requirements if you want to sell the item with CodeCanyon. As for posting the item elsewhere, that’s not allowable as an exclusive author.
That’s quite clear and unmistakably.

So now I’ll have to look how I deal with this, meaning how I’m going operate in a place sadly being so unnecessarily self-doubting about the quality of its service and its competitiveness. However, your place, your rules.

And, btw.: No need to be sorry for any delay, as there wasn’t one. There were never more than 2 working days between receiving updates on the topic. Thanks Curt for your effort.

670 posts
+1 more
Typps says

Hey, thanks for the update! I’m sure you can find a compromise, so hopefully we’ll see you as an author soon :)

by
by
by
by
by
by