4128 posts Community Mod Building awesome stuff for your mobile devices!
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Won a Competition
+9 more
Enabled Volunteer moderator says

The word mobile comes from the word: mobile telephone.. iPad is not a mobile, its a computer, just because you can move it around, doesn’t mean it’s a mobile… a laptop you can move around, but it’s still a computer. Think of the iPad as a keyboardless laptop, which you can hold. The correct term is tablet… if an iPad could make calls and fit in your pocket.. then it would be called a mobile. (but that’s basically the iPhone lol)
This probably ranks as one of the stupidest things ever said.

By the former top seller of the marketplaces! ... really now?! DS has a valid point that was elaborated on the first page quite nicely!

198 posts JoomFX.com
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Bulgaria
joomfx says

Blame the implementation not the technique. Most of those complaints aren’t problems with responsive design. They’re just poor implementations.

Perfectly said, I couldn’t agree more :)
There is a reason for the Responsive Design to “appear”. Actually, a well developed Responsive Website is such a sweet thing and such a nice experience when you are browsing the Web with your Smartphone. And the other way around – a non-responsive website can be a real pain in the **s :)

The thing I hate about Responsive Design (my items) is when a customer customizes the template so much that I barely recognize it as a product from my portfolio and then he says “Hey, it doesn’t look good on my Iphone” :sick:

4359 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

The word mobile comes from the word: mobile telephone.. iPad is not a mobile, its a computer, just because you can move it around, doesn’t mean it’s a mobile… a laptop you can move around, but it’s still a computer. Think of the iPad as a keyboardless laptop, which you can hold. The correct term is tablet… if an iPad could make calls and fit in your pocket.. then it would be called a mobile. (but that’s basically the iPhone lol)

Haha not sure if I’m worthy of that honour ;) Ok I’m aware some people call handheld devices mobiles – regardless whether they’re able to make calls or not… point is, a couple years ago, most handhelds were mobile phones / cell phones.. that’s where the term mobile comes from e.g. “hey man whats your mobile” replies “0343434434” Not “uhmm I have an iPad2GS”. Now the term “mobile” is basically applied to any device you carry around which has “mobility” (although in my opion an iPad isn’t that mobile, it’s as big as some laptops out there and you can’t exactly put it in your backpocket, can you?), and then the line also gets blurred with tablet / laptop hybrids with detachable keyboards – “is it a tablet, is it a laptop?! lets just call it a mobile lolz”.. The thing is the iPad can’t make calls, and people don’t hold it like a phone and therefore its not a mobile, it’s in a totally different category ie tablets. The term mobile needs to exists for phones only, to differentiate between landline and mobile phones… then everything else is classed based on how it’s used… ie desktop (on desk), laptop (on lap), palm device (on palm), table (held with two hands) Mobile essentially means a phone that is portable.

148 posts
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
loveetc says

Haha not sure if I’m worthy of that honour ;) Ok I’m aware some people call handheld devices mobiles – regardless whether they’re able to make calls or not… point is, a couple years ago, most handhelds were mobile phones / cell phones.. that’s where the term mobile comes from e.g. “hey man whats your mobile” replies “0343434434” Not “uhmm I have an iPad2GS”. Now the term “mobile” is basically applied to any device you carry around which has “mobility” (although in my opion an iPad isn’t that mobile, it’s as big as some laptops out there and you can’t exactly put it in your backpocket, can you?), and then the line also gets blurred with tablet / laptop hybrids with detachable keyboards – “is it a tablet, is it a laptop?! lets just call it a mobile lolz”.. The thing is the iPad can’t make calls, and people don’t hold it like a phone and therefore its not a mobile, it’s in a totally different category ie tablets.

Have you thought why these phones are called ‘mobile phones’`? Because these are the phone devices which offer you mobility.

4359 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Have you thought why these phones are called ‘mobile phones’`? Because these are the phone devices which offer you mobility.

Yes that’s the origin of the word “mobile”, since we have landlines and cellular phones. So that’s basically my whole point… phones that you walk around with are called “mobiles”. But now the definition has changed so that essentially all handhelds can be called mobiles. But when someone says whats your mobile…. then we assume phone number :D Anyways in South Africa we call mobile phones – cell phones so we don’t have this problem.. but I haven’t heard anyone call an iPad – a mobile.

148 posts
loveetc says

Yes that’s the origin of the word “mobile”, since we have landlines and cellular phones. So that’s basically my whole point… phones that you walk around with are called “mobiles”.

... and I’m trying to tell you that you are wrong in saying that the origin of the term ‘mobile’ comes from the mobile phones. The phones are called mobile because they are ‘mobile’. If anything else offers mobility, it will be called mobile too. Now please check the dictionary for the definition of the term mobile or just see the above image.

Your definition of mobile, ‘being able to call, and fit in the pocket’ is really wrong. You cannot call from the ‘mobile police’, neither you can put them in your pocket but you still call them ‘mobile police’ :)

4359 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Yes that’s the origin of the word “mobile”, since we have landlines and cellular phones. So that’s basically my whole point… phones that you walk around with are called “mobiles”.

... and I’m trying to tell you that you are wrong in saying that the origin of the term ‘mobile’ comes from the mobile phones. The phones are called mobile because they are ‘mobile’. Now please check the dictionary for the definition of the term mobile or just see the above image.

Your definition of mobile, ‘being able to call, and fit in the pocket’ is really wrong. You cannot call from the ‘mobile police’, neither you can put them in your pocket but you still call them ‘mobile police’ :)

I’m saying in terms of using the word “mobile” relating to devices originated with mobile phones since before that invention we couldn’t move phones around… so mobile was coined as the name for portable phones. Also what i meant with what defines something as a “mobile” in terms of devices… is something that can make calls, and you hold it like a phone and its small enough to carry on your person ie pocket.. The word “mobile” outside of the world of devices is irrelevant to what I’m trying to say haha… ofcourse the word “mobile” didn’t originate from phones, this word existed for centuries, im strictly talking in terms of the classification of electronic handheld devices.

4359 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

iPhone is a “mobile” because it’s a phone that’s not fixed to a line and you can be mobile while making calls. That’s the definition of a mobile device… we don’t call an iPod a mobile, yet we now call iPads a mobile, but it can’t make calls lol – it totally loses the meaning of what a mobile device is which originated from the split between landline and cellular phones.

148 posts
loveetc says

iPhone is a “mobile” because it’s a phone that’s not fixed to a line and you can be mobile while making calls. That’s the definition of a mobile device… we don’t call an iPod a mobile, yet we now call iPads a mobile, but it can’t make calls lol – it totally loses the meaning of what a mobile device is which originated from the split between landline and cellular phones.
Since I’m too lazy to argue with you. Here’s a link for you: http://techcrunch.com/2010/02/23/tim-cook-apple-mobile-device-company/

and here’s the image from the same page:

4359 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author
  • South Africa
+3 more
digitalscience says

Ok I can see what’s happening… just like when portable phones were invented, they were labelled “mobile” phones and now computers became portable and smaller, and now they’re “mobile” computers… So I guess this happened when tablets came out, because we use to always call a portable computer a “laptop” and a portable phone was a “mobile”... But now Apple calls any type of portable device whether it can make calls or not, a “mobile” haha..

I’m just gonna call a mobile phone – a cell, makes life easier :D

by
by
by
by
by
by