2206 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+4 more
Nitro_Themes says

I honestly think that there should be a full desktop site and have a secondary site for mobile devices.

I personally tried and made a bootstrap template but i do not like the layout at all you are kinda stuck with the same thing.

I like my own creations and they are not responsive because i just do not like to work like that.

Cheers

Lester

689 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+5 more
cooledition says

Well I can see that hating or loving responsive design is a matter of taste. I just would like that every responsive website have the “Change to desktop version” option.

4670 posts Love & Light
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
digitalscience says

The problem with responsive sites is the layout has to be quite simple, and in a format that can be broken up into blocks to be rearrange on screen – there’s a lot more logic going into design these days… gone are the days of completely abstract, original and creative layouts. Now everything is giant icons so looks good on “mobile” devices….. overall I feel like the whole web has been dumbed down creatively and really boring, besides for the occasional parallax effect – wooo. I do think this whole responsive flat design thing will be short lived, and users will want more engaging web experiences in the future – we should be seeing more cool stuff with touch technology and 3D engines.. like something out of Minority Report… we need that WOW factor – that’s what made webdesign cool

223 posts We're here to serve
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Contributed a tutorial on Tuts+
+5 more
isoarts says

The problem with responsive sites is the layout has to be quite simple, and in a format that can be broken up into blocks to be rearrange on screen – there’s a lot more logic going into design these days… gone are the days of completely abstract, original and creative layouts. Now everything is giant icons so looks good on “mobile” devices….. overall I feel like the whole web has been dumbed down creatively and really boring, besides for the occasional parallax effect – wooo. I do think this whole responsive flat design thing will be short lived, and users will want more engaging web experiences in the future – we should be seeing more cool stuff with touch technology and 3D engines.. like something out of Minority Report… we need that WOW factor – that’s what made webdesign cool

My feelings exactly, but I am not sure this time will come. There a to many devices today where a site has to function, not much room for creativity. :-(

6026 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

My feelings exactly, but I am not sure this time will come. There a to many devices today where a site has to function, not much room for creativity. :-(

You can say there is no much room for decoration but not about creativity. Creativity is something more relative to problem solving – not just raising the appearance / design.

I think any designer/developer who makes a responsive framework to cover wider devices as well as manages to provide better user experience is doing a creative job. The point is creativity here stays in a hidden form and it can be observed only from developers who deeply researches usability and the amount of work it requires.

Well, if a webdesign work that can be accessible only by a small range of audience but looks rich in design and interaction, can we call it as creative work? It all matters how much the output is accessible as well as how much unique techniques utilized to make it efficient.

161 posts Lord of the SEO Realm
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
SaijoGeorge Envato team says

Blame the implementation not the technique. Most of those complaints aren’t problems with responsive design. They’re just poor implementations.

+1 My thoughts exactly

377 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
pixelgrade says

This is the same discussion that most people probably had when seeing cars and car drivers for the first time. Or the people that saw paper when stone was so much better for writing. Or two legged walking when walking on four legs was so much fun.

Ok enough with the clever remarks :) What I am trying to say is that this is a futile discussion. Mobile phones/smartphones/tablets, however you like to call mobile devices with internet capability, are here to stay and we can’t create sites with a desktop first attitude when more people are seeing them on a small screen. It just doesn’t make any sense. It won’t be long until we will see sites that won’t give a dam about desktop. They will only care about how they look on a smartphone or tablet or … Glass :)

Just my two cents on this…

1661 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+9 more
flashedge says

12 years ago we came up with something called fluid layouts built with Flash. Call me biased but those were even better than nowadays responsive webdesign which renders a one column, stacked website that takes ages to scroll. But it’s a standard now, like HTML5 and we need accept it. Just like the clunky parallax sites galore, the jumpy tweens, the inconsistent rendering among browsers and all these neat things. :)

326 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
-bianca- says

Blame the implementation not the technique. Most of those complaints aren’t problems with responsive design. They’re just poor implementations.

+ 1
However whether you like or displike responsive it’s not always the natural route to follow.
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-5-oW-UPrZrA/UaXijKHVeKI/AAAAAAACGrI/0cy-P6p2Ff4/s1600/Mobile+Strategy+mobile+site+vs+native+app+vs+responsive+web+design.png
Maybe this will come in handy
:-)

115 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
Aether-Themes says

I like responsive designs as long as they are mobile first. It is always better to add more advanced stuff and content going up the viewport pixel count, than simply trying to fit your desktop site in a mobile device.

by
by
by
by
by
by