27 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
postream says

Hi everybody!

With my second theme I decided to give the client the ability to inspect the code (both xhtml and css), the readme.txt file and the folders structure too.

So I prepared a page and linked it to the product description.

Here it is: http://www.maverick.it/smartcomp/ What do you think?

2529 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+11 more
JeffreyWay says

Not a bad idea! Gives the buyer the chance to see exactly what he’s buying.

61 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
ne-design says

Really nice! I did think of that, but the problem is that people can just copy the source without buying the themes. I wish there is a good way to tell about the theme without any risk.

171 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+4 more
clarklab says

Yea, nice idea, but its got some holes in it. I know a live preview really isn’t any more secure, but this is just serving the source up on a platter.

39 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Located in Canada
+2 more
simonk says
Really nice! I did think of that, but the problem is that people can just copy the source without buying the themes. I wish there is a good way to tell about the theme without any risk.

Their is only part the CSS file, only includes one html page, and you can’t download any of the images. What are you going to be able to recreate with that?

27 posts
postream says

It’s not the full code, just one-fifth. It’s more secure of a live-preview indeed. The xhtml is not really important, but give the client the opportunity to saw how it’s coded. Css is crucial, and in fact I show only the first part of it. So, rebuilding the full template from this is impossibile.

I think this choice is not only a service for the buyer, but an assurance for the seller too.

My theme is quite small in content, so I don’t want to disappoint my client and obtain negative comments because someone misunderstood.

Now, if someone complains I can say: “I told you so!”

Sidenote: yEs, My iNglisch iS horRible! ; )

323 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 7 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
shadow66142000 says

@poststream – I agree with your concern however I quickly learned that by not providing a live preview will cost you buyers. I have had lots of people send me emails regarding changes or jobs and many of them are beginners to which just showing them code will look foreign. As this marketplace has grown there is several things you are competing with and one of them is “live previews”. So if the buyer is looking at two sites and one has a live preview and the other has images, they will will probably decide on the live preview. Just my thoughts.

27 posts
postream says

@shadow That’s true. I used to think live-preview was foundamental. But actually it seems that themes without a live preview sell quite well too. Looking at the most “Popular Files Last Three Months”, one-third of them has no live-preview. But you’re right: if a buyer can choose from two similar sites, he will choose the one with live preview.

145 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
+3 more
JJenZz says

I really like this idea, particularly the ability to see the folder structure. I found myself typing out the folder structure of my first template into it’s description but thought I might have been going overboard so removed it lol.

A separate URL with this sort of information is great… I think I may end up doing a similar thing soon :)

35 posts
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
zachlebar says

i think depending on your audience, this might work. if your doing an admin skin, or a portfolio, or something that a fellow theme designer may be interested in buying, if they are your target demographic, then this could be sweet. but if your targeting a business or restaurant or real estate office or something, and the owner of the business may be here looking for a site on the cheap, they may be befuddled, and like shadow said, go with a theme that has a version they can see and play with. (wow, i use a lot of commas…srry :P)

by
by
by
by
by
by