68 posts
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
rblalock says

There’s several templates I would love to use for other things BUT it’s only for Wordpress.

I’ve already bought one and re-converted it for my uses…..but I think you could increase your sales if you don’t just make it for one system.

When I build website templates, I always build an HTML version of the PSD first, then convert it to whatever system it’s for (usually Joomla).

As a result, it takes me around 5 hours total (depending on the complexity). 3-4 for converting the whole design, and about one more hour to port it to whatever system it needs to be in.

So, if you’re already making the template in HTML , why not release it that way?

Also, why not release it in other systems like Joomla? The Joomla templates need some love on this site too. I was planning on releasing more for Joomla, but just haven’t had time (plus it doesn’t look like they are selling alot here).

26 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
joshharbaugh says

I was actually thinking about doing this for pretty much the same reason. If someone doesn’t want to use WordPress, then at least they can buy the code/design for use on whatever CMS / blogging software they choose. It might be a bit excessive to try and port over the designs for every CMS , but sticking to the 2-3 big ones is not a bad idea.

I imagine WP gets so much love because it’s probably one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, blogging platforms out there right now. Movable Type, Drupal and Joomla are probably close too.

152 posts
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
wppowered says

Well i do it the other way around.

Im a wordpress coder/designer and i make it into wordpress first then i make it into a HTML template, i know it’s backwards but it works for me. ;)

2529 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Blog Editor
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
+6 more
JeffreyWay says

I think that’s a fantastic idea. I can promise you that your sales will benefit from the flexibility.

145 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
JJenZz says

I had planned to do exactly that and release Night Media as a Wordpress theme but have been completely bombarded with freelance work recently.

I’m kinda sad that I haven’t been able to mess with templates for a while, but at the same time I’m not complaining.

I definitely think it’s a good idea and I’m sure I’ll find out if I’m right or not eventually…

by
by
by
by
by
by