49 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Staff
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
michellerobinson Staff says

Hi everyone!

My name is Michelle Robinson and I’m the Search Product Manager here at Envato. I’ve been aboard the Envato ship for about 2 months and I thought it was time to let you in on some of the things we’ve been working hard on behind the scenes.

What have we been working on? Building a completely new platform from the ground up. We have put all sites on our new search platform which is powered by the Elasticsearch with some pretty cool services and libraries of our own. This new platform means we can get our ideas and improvements out the door much quicker.

When will we see search improvements on the site? Over the next 1 – 2 months we will be rolling out the new platform to all the sites starting with ActiveDen. We’ll be starting with a small set of test users and rolling out to everyone soon after. We’ve been building a solid foundation for improvements so initially things will look much the same. A couple of improvements you will notice:

• you will be able to search by author name
  • on the item pages under the item description you will find thumbnails for similar items related to your search

We are also tweaking our search algorithm so you will see a few changes to the ordering of results. Please let us know if you see anything strange.

We’ve been waiting ages for search – why has it taken so long? Well that’s a good question. Two main reasons; we had three different engines across all the sites, each have had their own idiosyncrasies, long indexing times and so forth, making improvements and maintaining all three was pretty difficult. Secondly until recently we didn’t have a dedicated search team. Now we have a new team, a brand new, flexible platform and we are very excited about what’s on the horizon!

What’s next? We are focused on getting the new platform live and starting to deliver some cool stuff. We are currently tackling item comments search and a few other interesting things – stay tuned!

Who is the Search Team? Three awesome Devs – Glen Stampoultzis, Julian Doherty and Sean St Quentin, our UX guru Cath Hills and me as Product Manager.

Looking forward to bringing you more search news in the near future until then I’m keen to hear what your top five search related features/improvements are, would love to hear your feedback…

279 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
PrimaThemes says

great!!! thanks for this update…

2447 posts Community Officer
  • Envato Staff
  • Community Ambassador
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Won a Competition
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Beta Tester
+14 more
contrastblack Staff says

Thank you for the update Michelle! Great news indeed :)

2931 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says
We are currently tackling item comments search
* big hugs *

When searching Comments, would it be a combined search on Comments and FAQ? Since most people would search to look for support, their question may be answered in the FAQ or in the Comments area. Might be better user experience if they don’t have to search two places before asking a q

5364 posts
  • Australia
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Forum Superstar
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
Australia says

That’s some explanation on the Elasticsearch ( never heard of it before ) thanks

5729 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

Welcome michellerobinson, much appreciation for the update.

Secondly until recently we didn’t have a dedicated search team.

:confusedsad: Grrr….

@Collis & Decision making team:
Without dedicating a team for search, it is shameful to dedicate a team for new services like Microlancer. To be frank, search is the most important section (next to payment system) for any marketplace. Mis-matching priorities are killing the user experience and twists the sales trends for the past ~4 years.

569 posts Magento Elite & Gravity Maker
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
GravityDept says

#1 Search Want: Deeply faceted navigation. Users need to be able to go from hundreds of products to a short list by filtering on any attribute tracked for a theme (version compatibility, last updated by, browser support, documentation rating, item rating, layout type, elite author or not, etc). The discovery experience is pretty awful for buyers unless you only buy new/popular items.

on the item pages under the item description you will find thumbnails for similar items related to your search

Yeah…I don’t think any author wants to have Envato up-selling other products if a user visits their item’s detail page.

1541 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Russian Federation
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
AndrVlad says

Thanks for the update Michelle!

Best Regards, Andrey

901 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
greenline says
Thank you for the news!
[...] until then I’m keen to hear what your top five search related features/improvements are, would love to hear your feedback…

My top 5 are:
1) searching item’s comments
2) searching for an item by tag
3) searching for an author by name
4) searching an item by color (TF, AD, CC, GF, PD, VH)
5) searching an item by keyword & updated date <3 months

UPDATE: Oh…and Michelle – I love your profile picture :)

319 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

on the item pages under the item description you will find thumbnails for similar items related to your search
Yeah…I don’t think any author wants to have Envato up-selling other products if a user visits their item’s detail page.

Envato authors consider and treat their item’s pages like landing pages. Many promote and link to those specific item pages through social media and even paid promotion.

Rule number one of landing page design, do not link outside. Do not take the user off the sales page. Even more so to link to a competitor item. This is not YouTube or MySpace with related music or “you might want to listen to this song too”.

Upselling other authors’ items on my page (particularly forced upon) wouldn’t make me a really happy man.

Other than that, looking forward to see the new more relevant search results in place and keeping fingers crossed for some filters added to marketplaces. Good job guys!

by
by
by
by
by
by