• Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • India
+3 more
VF says

How’s that sound to everyone? Any further ideas on how this might work?

My suspection is why Envato is so serious about “similar items” as of now? Sooo desperate that Envato wants to implement that section at least with an “opt out” feature?

Is that the cherry of cake when it comes to search section? Can’t that be postponed until remaining major works of search area completed and we see the results for atleast 2-3 months? Most serious authors awaiting for many years to see such a result and many buyers are still waiting from the fence.

I am not attacking. If the staffs able to see the years of feedbacks and expectations from the authors and buyers, and what is lacking here for years, then you can see why my questions are inevitable as an author. Any new additions surrounding the search will blur and smudge the genuine / straight forward results of search feature – which is not even showed to us as of now.

1397 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
Bedros says

What about if we have a Similar Competitor Marketplaces Banner at the bottom of the ThemeForest Page?

Friends , why are you continuously trying to make our (authors) lifes harder. I’m against the similar items , no matter if it will be eliminated if I have an AD at some other site or not. Almost Any fellow themeForest Author would be against this process.

317 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Romania
QBKL says

Michelle,

With or without the opt-in/out deal, the “Similar items” is still going to break the (already poor) balance of this market. As GravityDept said, unless these results will be completely random (which will virtually be useless in the end), some products will end up being “promoted” more than others and will be given focus.

It’s just a model that’s meant to fail. And it can be worked to some people’s advantage. Not to say that my – maybe paranoid – mind thinks of possible future situations when Envato might ask us to pay for a Similar/Promoted items at the end of files. :) If that’s a possibility, we’re virtually screwed.

I said this can be worked and thing is, yesterday when pointed out that this already lives on AudioJungle I went there and clicked a few items to see it in action. On one of the items, all the similar items returned were all from the same author, the author of the product viewed. I find it hard to believe that he was the only one in that niche and only his product were related to what I was currently viewing. So the system WAS sort of hacked right there and I was seeing two rows of that author’s products. The algorithm is nowhere near close to sustain such a thing.

As already said, mostly because there is absolutely no proof that this is a good idea yet there are a lot of issues and concerns to prove the contrary, I don’t want an opt-in/out about it. I just don’t want it AT ALL on ThemeForest. No URL parameters, sniffing if it came from advertising or anywhere else. It will unbalance the market and that’s a bad thing.

You guys should really focus on finding ways to push the new content more. There was a topic here 1-2 months ago – but with this poor search relevancy I can’t find it, tried for 30 minutes – that was gathering some statistics about the Envato Markets and that pointed out that quite a big chunk of the generated income comes from the small fish. Well, imagine the income boost if you start feeding those small fish. People are talking about featuring new items more prominently, adding popular new items, maybe featuring authors not for a week, but rather only for one day and have many more spinning in that area. Do some round-ups on “Notes” and add some Notes spotlight on marketplace homepages.

There are about a hundred ways to improve this experience, showing competing items on our products is not a fair one of them.

Friends , why are you continuously trying to make our (authors) lifes harder?

I swear to God that’s how it feels. We keep asking for help and improvements and it seems like all we get are restrictions, we take steps back or we’re simply given some features that are far from being relevant and are merely dust in the wind. “I know you guys wanted this and that… but look, we changed the background color on the items page… how cool is that!?”.

Time to show back some love Envato! :inlove:

Alex

1044 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
dotnpix says

+1… :)

My top 5 are:
1) searching item’s comments
2) searching for an item by tag
3) searching for an author by name
4) searching an item by color (TF, AD, CC, GF, PD, VH)
5) searching an item by keyword & updated date <3 months

2823 posts
  • Australia
  • Community Moderator
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Contributed a Blog Post
+10 more
dtbaker Volunteer moderator says

It will be interesting to see how competing items are sorted. Most sales, ratings, newest, popular, – I don’t think there is a perfect way (maybe the visitor can have options to sort the competing results for a better experience? eg: what items are similar to this but with the highest rating)
Assuming this is an extension of the user’s original search, logically it would be the next 7 search items. So if the user searches “ice cream”, and clicks on your item which is ranked #20 for “ice cream”, the 7 thumbnails would be results #21-27 from the original search listings. Hopefully this is how it works. Because that truly adds value to the user’s search experience, and is also an unbiased method that I think we’d all be satisfied with.

Yep that makes sense and would be fair ( and also a improve the users search experience )

2022 posts
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Serbia
+1 more
urbazon says

It will be interesting to see how competing items are sorted. Most sales, ratings, newest, popular, – I don’t think there is a perfect way (maybe the visitor can have options to sort the competing results for a better experience? eg: what items are similar to this but with the highest rating)
Assuming this is an extension of the user’s original search, logically it would be the next 7 search items. So if the user searches “ice cream”, and clicks on your item which is ranked #20 for “ice cream”, the 7 thumbnails would be results #21-27 from the original search listings. Hopefully this is how it works. Because that truly adds value to the user’s search experience, and is also an unbiased method that I think we’d all be satisfied with.
Yep that makes sense and would be fair ( and also a improve the users search experience )

+1

Plus, it should be only displayed if a customer visits item page through search, and not by other means.

6784 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

we don’t ask much but can you do the search on the same level of quality as google :D

https://www.google.com/#q=typography+after+effects+projects+5.00+stars+item+details+site:videohive.net&safe=off
5544 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • India
+3 more
VF says

@michellerobinson,

A question on different aspect about search. 5 months back, we got improvements on rating system. But those changes are still pending to go live with search section. In fact those changes have major benefits on search results only. Can we get an idea about when it will be covered?

6784 posts
  • Italy
  • Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
doru says

Example search on CodeCanyon for “video player”
  • First result is a lightbox
  • Sort by sales and the first 5 items aren’t video players at all
  • My jQuery video player, found on the second page (ranked #39), with 257 sales and 5 stars, is ranked below:
    • 6 items void of a star rating (averaging a whopping 13 sales)
    • Two items with 2 stars, Four items with 3 stars
    • 5 items that aren’t actually video players
This is just one case study I conducted today, but over time I’ve seen many similar cases.

the first item ( the one that is not a video player) have “video” as tag and also “video” in the description and, is also placed in Images and Media category and also a lot of sales

so the search works like this.

sales number? – high, points earned.

have “video” as tag? – yes, more points

description have “video” word? – yes, add points

category? – media, couple of more points

check internal dictionary. video can also mean video player? – yes, points, points.

check number of ratings and value – points there also

add them up and get a number

there may be also be some algorithm to push unknown items in this list (low sales but good pertinence)

154 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
SkillLine says

Amazing!!! Wish you the best.

by
by
by