236 posts Marketplace Developer
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Located in New Zealand
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
madlep Envato team says

For example, is there any chance the search will have a filter something like following:

Item Uploaded:
+ Within 3 months
+ Within 6 months
+ Within 1 year
+ More than 1 year

Not only the above example but there are numerous filters might be needed different ways for all the 8 marketplaces (with technical contexts to filter items). Is this something already in plan?

Totally doable. The whole design of the new consolidated search platform and team is to allow for features like that to be created.

At a high-level, I can say “yes, we’re able to technically build that now, and it’s not too hard”. If you’d asked me a few months back before we’d done the consolidation work, I would have said “no, too hard, there’s a whole lot of mess we have to fight through first before we can even start to build something like that”.

I’ll handball, and leave the exact decision making and communication of what we do end up building to @michellerobinson though ;)

7385 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

I’ll handball, and leave the exact decision making and communication of what we do end up building to @michellerobinson though ;)

let him know that KingDog have a list of features proposed by the community

5976 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

For example, is there any chance the search will have a filter something like following:

Item Uploaded:
+ Within 3 months
+ Within 6 months
+ Within 1 year
+ More than 1 year

Not only the above example but there are numerous filters might be needed different ways for all the 8 marketplaces (with technical contexts to filter items). Is this something already in plan?
Totally doable. The whole design of the new consolidated search platform and team is to allow for features like that to be created.

Thanks madlep! :)

@michellerobinson, can you please confirm search filters like above is part upgrade when it comes to front-end implementation?

1445 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

@michellerorobinson and staff – I put together a site where we can all go to submit ideas, vote them up or down, and add comments to them. It will make it easier for everyone, authors and envato staff, to keep track of what’s needing fixed/improved and the progress of what you guys are working on without having to sift through the pages of the forums. It will also make it easy to see how many people like or dislike the idea, which would make it easy for you to prioritize.

When ideas are being worked on, the status can be changed to show that. When they are finished and put live they can show that as well. Is this something the staff would be interested in using as a tool? There’s been a few ideas submitted by the community (and one staff member) already…

Check out http://nvato-ideas.websmacker.com

michellerobinson
michellerobinson Recent Posts Threads Started
49 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
michellerobinson Envato team says

Item Uploaded:
+ Within 3 months
+ Within 6 months
+ Within 1 year
+ More than 1 year

@michellerobinson, can you please confirm search filters like above is part upgrade when it comes to front-end implementation?

Hey VF, I can’t confirm this will be the case at the moment, I can only confirm that we understand search filters are of course very important. We also have a long list of important things which we and we will be prioritising what we do, how we do it and the order of things based on evaluation of implicit and explicit feedback, including site metrics, forum threads, KingDogs list and the new site by @Websmacker (thanks) :)

I always take the view of user needs/ user goals first, solution to follow – would you mind explaining this in a bit more detail, e.g. would the main goal be looking to identify newer items or would you be looking to find something you saw 1month ago etc? (Sorry if this seems an obvious question just don’t want to make any assumptions).

michellerobinson
michellerobinson Recent Posts Threads Started
49 posts
  • Located in Australia
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
michellerobinson Envato team says

@michellerorobinson and staff – I put together a site where we can all go to submit ideas, vote them up or down, and add comments to them. It will make it easier for everyone, authors and envato staff, to keep track of what’s needing fixed/improved and the progress of what you guys are working on without having to sift through the pages of the forums. It will also make it easy to see how many people like or dislike the idea, which would make it easy for you to prioritize.

When ideas are being worked on, the status can be changed to show that. When they are finished and put live they can show that as well. Is this something the staff would be interested in using as a tool? There’s been a few ideas submitted by the community (and one staff member) already…

Check out http://nvato-ideas.websmacker.com

Thanks Websmacker for putting this together – great tool and design :bigsmile:! I’ll need to discuss further with my team in terms of if/how we could use it on going though.

1445 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

Sounds great, thanks for checking it out. I didn’t create the design but it was easy to customize and I think it would be a great tool for everyone.

5485 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Located in Australia
+4 more
Australia says

+1 a centralised location such as Dans solution is an absolute must

5976 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

I always take the view of user needs/ user goals first, solution to follow – would you mind explaining this in a bit more detail, e.g. would the main goal be looking to identify newer items or would you be looking to find something you saw 1month ago etc? (Sorry if this seems an obvious question just don’t want to make any assumptions).

Yes, certain marketplaces need specific filters that helps buyers to see upload-date based results.

For example, if a buyer wants to purchase a very latest mobile tablet friendly plugin/themes and a normal search result shows 100+ results, a quick solution would be to just list recent 6 months or 3 months items. (While the listing still sorts with relevance or date “within” that filtered group). So with single click they can shortlist just 10-20 most fit items among 100+ items. Of course some old items always get updated by authors for new devices but from buyer’s point of view, finding such an updated item among 100+ list would be impossible – in other words, we currently have no ways to do so while searching (if the author doesn’t add related keywords).

The above is just an example related to technical aspects. Some buyers may prefer item designs that sharply reflects recent trends. This case, a 3 or 6 month result would shortlist better – while without sacrificing the relevance within that group. I see there is almost no harm for old items as long as old items contain keywords related to latest trends or versions. 3 and 6 months are just my opinion but it can be more rough like just 1 year, 3 years etc

Also for regular buyers who repeatedly searches with specific keywords occasionally, they always need to omit older huge / results that already went through. So the recent 3 months etc should help those cases.

I think this particular thing is already in plan – in VideoHive, the filter can be added based on resolutions such as 1920×1080 etc. So the buyer spends zero time for those aspects and just concentrates on keywords and relevance.

24 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in India
+2 more
CompDesigns says

Thanks For Update :)

by
by
by
by