228 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Brazil
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
devotchkah says

IMO a better search engine will encourage non popular authors to create bigger and better projects, right now not everyone can afford to spend a long time on a project that will not have enough sales

397 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
juanmita says

Thanks for the update Michelle!!!! ;)

2180 posts aspire to create - create to inspire
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+8 more
Creattive says

Hey Michelle,

welcome aboard. As you are “only” around for 2 months, you might be surprised by this question, but ARE YOU FREAKIN KIDDING US?

What is needed is to be able to filter search results by parameters, this has been requested for YEARS. And now you “dedicated search team”, that finally arrived after this long time thinks the most important thing to do is to add concurring links to our item pages?

What the hell are you dreaming at night?

Give us a working system like all of your competitors have: sort by category, plugins used/required, length, software version, last update, minimum-maximum sales…

You are so driving this car to a wall…

1401 posts
  • Member of the Envato Team
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+9 more
lucafrancini Envato team says

Hi Michelle and welcome! Thanks for letting us know that finally someone is working on the Search system :)

I disagree with adding other authors’ links on item’s page.

Instead, it would be cool if a buyer could browse our personal portfolio in a smarter way, with more options. (Example. Now ordering by category is not that useful, because you can’t understand which category you are seeing and what other categories are available from that user)

2678 posts
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Secondly until recently we didn’t have a dedicated search team.

you do understand that any official update from envato staff means nothing for me from now on?

is years staff official announce they work on search and now we find out they don’t?

Hi Doru, I think you may be missing the point. Search has always been worked on. Take a look at this Elasticsearch article from November 2012. Consider how the 3DOcean faceted search was tested and launched. Those are just a couple of examples but the point also needs to be made that, just because something might not be visible or launched, it doesn’t mean that it’s not being worked on.

What Michelle is announcing is, search is obviously so important that it warrants its own team for it to be done thoroughly and properly. Which is why she and her team are now here to not only help improve search, but to get the project finally out the door.

I think we are all in agreement here however – improvements to search are long overdue and literally everyone can’t wait to see how this will manifest itself in the near future. Let’s try to put things in perspective – sales are bigger and better than ever and the Marketplaces are growing all the time so nothing is intrinsically broken per se, but we totally agree that the search project is hopefully going to take things to the next level. Here’s a great opportunity to share ideas and feedback with Michelle and her team. :)

346 posts
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
MeGustaMusic says

Well, I know that everyone was asking for this and it took longer than expected, but in this case is better late than never! All our good thoughs go for the search team!

5968 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

Here’s a great opportunity to share ideas and feedback with Michelle and her team. :)

It is actually a tiresome job already done by the community for more than couple of years. The missing part is just implementing the obvious features – not new ideas. Please verify things with the long list of feedbacks available from KingDog.

Of course lets share new ideas after seeing a productive first step; instead of portraying the “similar items” section as search improvement. I say this because few things like Rating system, Support tab and License text are taking too long to jump from its Phase 1 to Phase 2.

2678 posts
  • Joined an Envato Football competition
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
  • Helped several times protecting Envato Market against copyright violations
+16 more
scottwills Envato team says

Here’s a great opportunity to share ideas and feedback with Michelle and her team. :)
It is actually a tiresome job already done the the community for more than couple of years. The missing part is just implementing the obvious features. Not new ideas.

As someone who has been part of the Marketplace community for 7 years, VF, I share some of your frustration with where search is. But that said, I think your comment above is the wrong attitude to take. This thread is not saying, “Hey! Give us all your ideas, we’re working on search!” it’s actually, “Here’s what’s happening, and expect more things to come, keep talking to us.”

So by using the word “opportunity”, everyone here, including yourself, has an opportunity to keep talking to us. Opportunities are voluntary, taken them and be part of them or not, your call, but we encourage everyone here to embrace a great opportunity here to talk to a team that is now dedicated to an incredibly important project that our entire community are interested in.

839 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
PhilLarson says

This is great news.

I would like a New Popular Items feature, that shows an always-updating list of the most popular items submitted within the last 7 days (items are 0-7 days old). I think it would help new quality items get found and reach popular items page easier.

I also like the idea of a “just bought” section on the home page (maybe only showing only 2 items at a time) of the most recent purchased items since updating the page to help other items get discovered. This may not work as well with ThemeForest as the top items get bought like every second it seems. ;) This idea was mentioned to me from a prominent staff member at a meetup in Nashville during Summer 2012.

Good luck! Thanks for wanting to hear our suggestions!

5968 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

@scottwills, just added next para that explains why new ideas are absolutely not necessary for this particular thread (you might be missed to read as I added it with an edit). We had abundance of ideas and requests but what we see as of 1st implementation is something that is not an author expected to happen = similar items section.

by
by
by
by
by
by