7385 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+5 more
doru says

Again, let’s put this in perspective. Instead of not telling the community anything, Michelle has kindly introduced herself and is willing to keep communication channels open to the community here.

looks like there’s a bit of misunderstanding. we are saying we don’t like other people items on our item page.

first, there’s no dialog here. the comment that start this thread doesn’t state:

“Hi folks! we were thinking about adding related items thumbnails on your item page, what do you think?”

it states:

“on the item pages under the item description you will find thumbnails for similar items related to your search”

I think there’s a big difference.

1770 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says
“You may also be interested in these other items” works on pretty much all major e-commerce sites.

Yes, sure, works for Envato, NOT for the authors. Lots of us do advertising, only to end up sending clients to our competitors? On our own money?

Sure this works in an excellent way on a shop, but NOT on a marketplace, where different people sell their stuff. It’s like going into an Apple store and seeing “Hey! You don’t like our Macbook Pro? How about you try Sony Vaio? Or Dell?!”

Btw, I’m not sure if I’m the only one, but I think this kind of threads are absolutely useless. Nobody listens and if they listen, they only take what they want and do what they planned. There were features requested for years and still when they started to modify them, they still did what they wanted. They did a few changes that, in my point of view, had no priority, instead of some small ones that were suggested for months, years.

Same thing with the reviews, they started asking us what, when, why and it’s like 6 months and we didn’t see anything from what Envato collected, they don’t really care about us, sadly.

And I’m not saying this in order to blame Envato, I’m saying this in order to get some attention, to let us, the authors, have a word in what you do, we are part of this website, in fact our work runs this marketplace, is it that hard to actually listen to us at least a little bit? Have more detailed info? Like what’s going to happen in the next weeks, what can be changed, what’s the current status, what’s the next thing to do, etc.

2268 posts Bird is the word..
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
jonathan01 says

Btw, I’m not sure if I’m the only one, but I think this kind of threads are absolutely useless. Nobody listens and if they listen, they only take what they want and do what they planned. There were features requested for years and still when they started to modify them, they still did what they wanted. They did a few changes that, in my point of view, had no priority, instead of some small ones that were suggested for months, years.

+1

The argument that all other successful ecommerce sites have suggested products isn’t correct because they are not the same structure as a marketplace of thousands of authors – it’s one company selling products bought from vendors which is a different fish completely.

88 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Europe
PixelPuzzel says

I agree with ppl saying that showing similar items of competitors on on heir own item landing pages is a bad idea. I strongly suggest that this should be “similar items of this author” only. And that’s all.
About anything else…we need facts, then we can talk more about what’s missing from evanto’s marketplaces. We need to see that our feedback is not treated like trash…and that’s only up to you, Envato!

86 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
wp_workshop says

Sure this works in an excellent way on a shop, but NOT on a marketplace, where different people sell their stuff. It’s like going into an Apple store and seeing “Hey! You don’t like our Macbook Pro? How about you try Sony Vaio? Or Dell?!”

+1000

360 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
QBKL says

Totally hear you, thanks, Alex.

Thank you Scott, appreciate it!

Instead of not telling the community anything, Michelle has kindly introduced herself and is willing to keep communication channels open to the community here.

Not to sound like a hater, but that’s the recipe for success of a business. Communication. I applaude Michelle and you for being here, but so are we. None of us gets a medal for it, we just need to work issues out together. Couples therapy like someone said a few days back. We all need to work together cause everyone makes a living out of this, us and you the staff too.

In fact, Michelle has already posted a response…

I read that response as soon as it was posted. I’ve been following actively this thread since it started. I’ve also replied to it. On the things so indicate as worthy of being noted:

a. “It’s an experiment” – The feeling flowing heavily from those involved in this topic is that authors really don’t like/want/need this experiment and pretty much feel like lab rats.

b. “To help the wider community” – Kudos to Envato for listening that we need this taken care of, but it’s Envato’s job to sort it out, not my job. In all faireness, it’s a free market with extremely heavy competition. I respect each and every author and I’ll offer my help and advice in forums, but when it comes down to the sales and my items, I don’t owe that to anyone. It’s your job to help the little fellas grow and get you more money, not mine. My job is to put out great products that earn ME and YOU money.

c. “Will be tested with a subset of authors” – Who are these authors? What criateria are you using to pick them? Is it an opt-in? It’s a huge deal and maybe it wouldn’t be bad to set up an opt-in page for it.

This is something that is already live on PD and AJ and I can honestly say that it has not changed my volume of sales at all.

Sadly, and I’m saying this with a really heavy heart, maybe with the exception of CodeCanyon, no other market can and will bring in the bucks that ThemeForest does. This will affect a much larger scale of authors that generate and expect and invest much more resources than what happens on other markets. Follow the monthly sales topics and see which market authors complain about barely surviving. You might not feel 1-2-3 sales that have been redirected, but on a 1000/month sales volume, losing 1-200 sales means A LOT. It’s a matter of scale. And those 100-200 sales lost mean probably money invested in support teams, publicity etc, not money for a beer or an icecream.

In fact, it actually works to an author’s advantage because there’s a greater chance that my/your item can now be promoted on someone else’s item page.

I am sorry but I am a skeptic when it comes to Envato. I love you guys, I really do, but it feels like the love for someone you really got used to. We authors change, improve, the items get better, follow trends, you set standards that we follow. But Envato doesn’t change much on its own. It changes through our changes. What I meant by all this is that I do not trust the algorithm or those related/similar items. There hasn’t been any proof in any form that the search got better and right now I just feel like on my items I’ll up-sell the same heavily promoted items that continue to sell thousands of copies anyway. Kudos to them for that, but they don’t need my help right now. Not on my page. The upsell works on e-commerce sites without authors. TF is not such a site and it will create ripples that don’t need to exist. Show some proof that you guys are ready with a good search, a good relevancy algorithm and it might make it easier for you to get authors to digg experiments on their own skin. I know I’m pretty harsh, but it’s only because I’m a straight-shooter. The kind of tough-love guy. It’s a matter of trust that Envato kind of fails to deliver lately.

As you say that we should “reserve judgement” until “the car is test driven” I can honestly say that some things in life WE PEOPLE reserve the right not to want to ever test like: cutting myself, jumping from a 10 story building without security straps, test-driving a car into a wall at 100mph and so on. You catch my “drift” (to keep it automotive)?

Again.. it’s conversation and feedback and thank your for taking the time to read these probably annoyingly long message. Much respect and hope it’s mutual.

Alex

PS: There’s a guy on PD with 1006 items and only 3 sales. Tell me how did this algorithm help him. And his photos are far from junk. Some are really amazing.

1445 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Pack
+3 more
WebSmacker says

I understand that showing related items will assist the buyers as they are browsing, but I agree that if I’m paying to send someone to my page, like via google adwords, I don’t want to showcase ANY items except my own.

IDEA!!! What if you add a URL parameter that we can use to hide the suggested items? This would ensure that if I send someone to the page through my advertising, then I can add a parameter to the URL that will hide the “other suggested items” at the bottom. BUT, if someone is just browsing the marketplace and they come accrossed my page, then I don’t mind if you show the suggested items as I didn’t have to pay for that customer.

Hope this makes sense… Thanks for listening to our concerns.

1263 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
Pricop says
on the item pages under the item description you will find thumbnails for similar items related to your search

Who wants other author’s items on their product page? I agree with others, -1 to this..

8248 posts Community Moderator
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+9 more
MSFX Volunteer moderator says

yeah, starting with Activeden rocks, it’s where the party started baby :sunglasses:

5977 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+8 more
VF says

yeah, starting with Activeden rocks, it’s where the party started baby :sunglasses:

Only in ActiveDen, no one can sense the damage. :P A great place for nuke test!

by
by
by
by
by
by