• Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
tansh says

Just for info :

Recently received 2 star rating for my theme with main reason that theme needs multiple plugin to get it work :) .

Out of 4 basically required plugins two are for slider and page builder. Other two are made according to phase 2 requirement (for shortcodes and CPT). I’m aware, phase 2 is not finalized yet, still did so just to avoid extra work when new guidelines are enforced.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

Just for info :

Recently received 2 star rating for my theme with main reason that theme needs multiple plugin to get it work :) .

Out of 4 basically required plugins two are for slider and page builder. Other two are made according to phase 2 requirement (for shortcodes and CPT). I’m aware, phase 2 is not finalized yet, still did so just to avoid extra work when new guidelines are enforced.

Very interesting!

Assuming we’re talking about your most recent theme, you have 5 required plugins and 3 recommended plugins.

I very much appreciate you embracing the idea of moving functionality into plugins.

The feedback you’ve gotten from this particular customer is definitely unfortunate. I think it’s likely more a reflection of what the customer has become accustomed to than anything else, which is something we need to deal with as we progress.

It would be good also if we could find a better way of handling the dependency installation than the TGM Plugin Activation class. Something that guides the customer through the process better.

For example, a change of terminology perhaps? “Enable or Disable X Functionality”, the customer shouldn’t need to care if it’s in a plugin or not, that’s for the developer to care about.

86 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
tansh says
It would be good also if we could find a better way of handling the dependency installation than the TGM Plugin Activation class. Something that guides the customer through the process better. For example, a change of terminology perhaps? “Enable or Disable X Functionality”, the customer shouldn’t need to care if it’s in a plugin or not, that’s for the developer to care about.
+1
83 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ThemeChills says

Hi everyone,

Approaching the completion of my first WordPress theme and had a question in relation to submission.

When you submit your theme to the Review Team, do you bundle all plugins within it? By this I mean both third party and your own custom ones?

OR…

Do you only include your own and provide references within your documentation that explain to the customer where to download the third party plugin(s) (e.g. Contact Form 7).

Would appreciate your feedback.

Thanks,

Leo

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

When you submit your theme to the Review Team, do you bundle all plugins within it? By this I mean both third party and your own custom ones?

OR…

Do you only include your own and provide references within your documentation that explain to the customer where to download the third party plugin(s) (e.g. Contact Form 7).

Hi Leo,

As mentioned in the WordPress Theme Submission Requirements, it’s encouraged that you use something like the TGM Plugin Activation class to prompt users to install both third-party and bundled plugins.

In this case, for plugins that are hosted on the WordPress.org plugin directory, there’s no need to include them in your theme, as TGMPA can simply install them direct from WordPress.org.

Does that make sense?

83 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeChills says

OR…

Hi Leo,

As mentioned in the WordPress Theme Submission Requirements, it’s encouraged that you use something like the TGM Plugin Activation class to prompt users to install both third-party and bundled plugins.

In this case, for plugins that are hosted on the WordPress.org plugin directory, there’s no need to include them in your theme, as TGMPA can simply install them direct from WordPress.org.

Does that make sense?

Hi Japh,

Sort of…

I will need to familiarize myself with the TGMPA in more detail. That being said, I was reading in the requirements that you can also include your custom plugins (that are outside of the WordPress.org directory) without the need for TGMPA, is this correct?

Thanks for the prompt reply.

Leo

83 posts
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
ThemeChills says

Hi everyone,

This may sounds like a silly question however the submission requirements state the following:

File naming and structure must follow WordPress best practices. For example, do not use category-header.php, custom-header.php etc.

I’ve been using underscores as my starter theme (created by the guys at Automattic) and this exact naming convention is used for that specific feature (i.e. custom header support).

Considering the above, what am I mean to change this too?

Thanks,

Leo

2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
oksamyta says

I would like to include Advanced Custom Fields into my theme. If it will be included via TGMPA user will have to import ACF plugin data manually via Wordpress Import functionality. It is not really user-friendly.

On the other hand ACF allows inclusion directly into theme and import of required fields in functions.php also it allows “silent” mood when user doesn’t see ACF as a plugin but it is a part of theme. It is much more user-friendly as theme will be functional out of the box and will not require any extra configuration.

So, is it allowed to include ACF directly into theme source code without TGMPA? It is a question of better user experience.

The second question is How is it possible to import plugin settings if TGM is used?

by
by
by
by
by
by