• Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+2 more
purethemes says

Message to buyers: If you get an error when updating your theme, it most likely means your theme author done something wrong. You should not need to get confirmation from your theme author that it’s okay to update your copy of WordPress.
+100
3058 posts
  • Community Superstar
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
wickedpixel says

Message to buyers: If you get an error when updating your theme, it most likely means your theme author done something wrong. You should not need to get confirmation from your theme author that it’s okay to update your copy of WordPress.
I think it’s common sense to make sure the update does not break the site. For both user and dev. At the end it’s more important to have the site working rather than knowing who’s fault it is, if something goes bad.
Safety first! :)
3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

True. We had some buggers, that where totally my fault :))

707 posts
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Exclusive Author
ChillThemes says

Sound advice. I’m already running 3.6-alpha locally.

2 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
struth says

Don’t update to WordPress 3.5 when you don’t have any confirmation yet from us Authors. Ask first before you update to avoid errors Thanks.
I am using WordPress 3.4.2 I just payed for Bounce and tried to install it in a fresh default install of wordpress CMS, I get the “Are you sure you want to do this?” please try again, what a waste of time and money!
278 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
scrnjakovic says

Yeah, because authors live in future and they just come here to make themes for 5 versions in advance… :S Seriously, if something is made to work on 3.4 and when you bought it, it never said it’ll work with future versions, you don’t come here crying and go all-caps rage on authors because your template doesn’t work after you updated WP without even bothering to find out whether the template is compatible with latest version of WP or not. Though I don’t know how goes this whole migration thing with WP, but this was generally speaking…

308 posts
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
SyamilMJ says

WordPress has this sort of thing for their plugins for the longest time I can remember:

It serves as a warning to the user that they should probably wait until the plugin is confirmed to be working correctly with the WP version they have on the server. This is pretty much standard, and in the word of Wickedpixel, common sense. It would be foolish to tell users to ignore this warning.

2 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
struth says

Don’t update to WordPress 3.5 when you don’t have any confirmation yet from us Authors. Ask first before you update to avoid errors Thanks.
Sorry it was my mistake, all working fine on version 3.4.2 I am using WordPress 3.4.2 I just payed for Bounce and tried to install it in a fresh default install of wordpress CMS, I get the “Are you sure you want to do this?” please try again, what a waste of time and money!
707 posts
  • Exclusive Author
ChillThemes says

Yeah, because authors live in future and they just come here to make themes for 5 versions in advance… :S Seriously, if something is made to work on 3.4 and when you bought it, it never said it’ll work with future versions, you don’t come here crying and go all-caps rage on authors because your template doesn’t work after you updated WP without even bothering to find out whether the template is compatible with latest version of WP or not. Though I don’t know how goes this whole migration thing with WP, but this was generally speaking…

If a WordPress theme has been properly coded and follows the guidelines set by the creators of WP itself then no theme should break when updating unless WordPress changed something drastically, e.g. decided to deprecate a function in favor of an improved version.

278 posts
  • Serbia
  • Exclusive Author
scrnjakovic says

If a WordPress theme has been properly coded and follows the guidelines set by the creators of WP itself then no theme should break when updating unless WordPress changed something drastically, e.g. decided to deprecate a function in favor of an improved version.

Okay, I said I’m not familiar with either of versions, so I don’t know whether 3.5 brings enough changes to require migration or is it just a minor update. I was more generally speaking, e.g. when Joomla 1.7 came out, many components and themes made for 1.6 worked on J1.7, but were really buggy, while none of 1.5 stuff worked on 1.6…

by
by
by
by
by
by