607 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+10 more
Siddharth Envato team says

Three weeks is a joke really. We sometimes need months for a new theme as we don’t do it fulltime. Basically we can start from scratch for our current theme now because it won’t be finished in three weeks. Give us more time!!
I’ll definitely see if we can push things a little further back.
3538 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

:D

92 posts Be different!
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+3 more
UnitedThemes says

Hi,

the Submission Requirements definitely needs to be overworked.

Themes are required to eliminate REQUIRED, INFO and RECOMMENDED notices from the ‘Theme-Check’ plugin except the following: ? Warning: Found base64_encode() Warning: Found base64_decode()? Warning: Found fwrite()? Warning: Found fopen() ? Warning: Found fclose()? Info: Found include_once() Including the above, rare exceptions can be made at a reviewer’s discretion.

So does it mean, that for example add_theme_support( ‘custom-header’, $args ) is now mandatory? I mean every Theme has a concept, but not each concept has an image inside the header. Is this a case for a reviewer “discretion”?

Same with the_post_thumbnail, I’m pretty sure lots of people using for example this tool here AquaResizer to create more advanced image output than the standard post thumbnail support delivers.

Inadmissible shortcodes: maps accordions and toggles boxed contents column contact forms charts.
Well from my point of view it’s absolute legal to turn a map into a shortcode, because the initial code to create a map is far more complex than a single shortcode. So as long as you can turn something complex into a simple shortcode it’s OK, isn’t it? I mean that the intention of a shortcode. So why is a freaking “html list” inside the admissible part?

And about the code quality, would it be wrong to use this code here:

echo empty($test) ? 'dosomething' : 'dosomethingelse';

For me this is code quality too, but it’s a bit less readable than the standard if else stuff. Only a few points out of the crowd. I would really like to know what other author think about this.

Best Regards UT

13 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
THBThemes says

Scalability concerning what, exactly? Our duty and commitment is to be scalable compared with WordPress, which is the core platform of all of our products, and the plugins we intend to support for the theme.

It’s illogical to be scalable compared with other themes, that work on other frameworks, that implement other functionalities, and implement the same features in a dramatically different way, simply because they’ve been built by people other than us.

If establishing scalalability is, as we understand, the core of the creation of these guidelines to guarrantee some sort of seamless switch between themes from the marketplace, then centering on the shortcodes topic is a waste of time.

If you want to tackle that topic, and we’re not argumenting about its correctness here, the main concern shouldn’t be shortcodes, but rather frameworks (e.g. how options are saved, for instance), custom post types, custom post types fields, and how post formats are implemented, since even WordPress developers are having a hard time figuring out how they should work (this goes for the 3.6 version as well).

Concerning the presence of guidelines, it’s granted that technical consistency regarding JS and PHP is out of question.

237 posts themesdepot.org
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
  • Has referred 10+ members
+6 more
ThemesDepot says

Some of the changes are a good step forward, however there’s something that it’s not clear to me. Are the shortcodes included into the “Inadmissible” list, admissibles into a plugin shipped with the theme when on sale here on Themeforest ?

22 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
ModSter says

From a month ago to today, I started to become a WordPress theme, if my functions and shortcodes is not in accordance with the rules, to change? :( Fresh Today i finished convert

244 posts Premium Website Design
  • Has referred 1000+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
ThemeFusion says

First of all, 3 weeks is a joke and even further grace period is a joke for existing themes. We simply needs MONTHS to apply these changes gradually.. like a few per update.

“Inadmissible shortcodes” will not be allowed in “shortcode” plugins If that’s true do you know how buyers will react?

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

The goal is to have a consistent, public standard so every customer has a seamless experience using our products.

Do you expect that forcing authors to move features from theme to bespoke plugins will allow end users to switch from this to this seamlessy ?

More likely, each theme will include its own set of custom plugins that would need to be mandatory installed to replicate the demo and to mix them with previous themes custom plugins will lead to anything but a seamless experience for buyers and authors.

Who’s going to deal with raging buyers when everything will break horribly (because it will) ? Who’s going to bear the burden of support ? old theme author ? new one ? you think buyers will accept “we can only support our own theme/plugins when used together” kind of answer ?

Who asked for this changes ? buyers ? I doubt so, having dealt with thousands of them myself and not yet having found one who cares about the issues you’re trying to address with these new rules.

You’re trying to enforce wp.org rules on TF when TF products are anything like wp.org ones.

32 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
lollum says

Ok. But, are page builders allowed?

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

First of all, 3 weeks is a joke and even further grace period is a joke for existing themes. We simply needs MONTHS to apply these changes gradually.. like a few per update.

Three weeks was our initial thoughts before we start applying all these to newly submitted themes. We’re happy to take your feedback into consideration on this though, of course!

As for existing themes, we know it’s going to take months, and you’ll have them :)

“Inadmissible shortcodes” will not be allowed in “shortcode” plugins If that’s true do you know how buyers will react?

That’s not what we said, so let’s assume it’s not what we meant ;)

These will be inadmissible in the theme. Shortcodes should be in plugins, not the theme itself, as much as possible.

by
by
by
by
by
by