• Blog Editor
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Forum Moderator
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
+9 more
Siddharth Reviewer says

Three weeks is a joke really. We sometimes need months for a new theme as we don’t do it fulltime. Basically we can start from scratch for our current theme now because it won’t be finished in three weeks. Give us more time!!
I’ll definitely see if we can push things a little further back.
3428 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

:D

91 posts Be different!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
UnitedThemes says

Hi,

the Submission Requirements definitely needs to be overworked.

Themes are required to eliminate REQUIRED, INFO and RECOMMENDED notices from the ‘Theme-Check’ plugin except the following: ? Warning: Found base64_encode() Warning: Found base64_decode()? Warning: Found fwrite()? Warning: Found fopen() ? Warning: Found fclose()? Info: Found include_once() Including the above, rare exceptions can be made at a reviewer’s discretion.

So does it mean, that for example add_theme_support( ‘custom-header’, $args ) is now mandatory? I mean every Theme has a concept, but not each concept has an image inside the header. Is this a case for a reviewer “discretion”?

Same with the_post_thumbnail, I’m pretty sure lots of people using for example this tool here AquaResizer to create more advanced image output than the standard post thumbnail support delivers.

Inadmissible shortcodes: maps accordions and toggles boxed contents column contact forms charts.
Well from my point of view it’s absolute legal to turn a map into a shortcode, because the initial code to create a map is far more complex than a single shortcode. So as long as you can turn something complex into a simple shortcode it’s OK, isn’t it? I mean that the intention of a shortcode. So why is a freaking “html list” inside the admissible part?

And about the code quality, would it be wrong to use this code here:

echo empty($test) ? 'dosomething' : 'dosomethingelse';

For me this is code quality too, but it’s a bit less readable than the standard if else stuff. Only a few points out of the crowd. I would really like to know what other author think about this.

Best Regards UT

9 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Italy
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
THBThemes says

Scalability concerning what, exactly? Our duty and commitment is to be scalable compared with WordPress, which is the core platform of all of our products, and the plugins we intend to support for the theme.

It’s illogical to be scalable compared with other themes, that work on other frameworks, that implement other functionalities, and implement the same features in a dramatically different way, simply because they’ve been built by people other than us.

If establishing scalalability is, as we understand, the core of the creation of these guidelines to guarrantee some sort of seamless switch between themes from the marketplace, then centering on the shortcodes topic is a waste of time.

If you want to tackle that topic, and we’re not argumenting about its correctness here, the main concern shouldn’t be shortcodes, but rather frameworks (e.g. how options are saved, for instance), custom post types, custom post types fields, and how post formats are implemented, since even WordPress developers are having a hard time figuring out how they should work (this goes for the 3.6 version as well).

Concerning the presence of guidelines, it’s granted that technical consistency regarding JS and PHP is out of question.

233 posts themesdepot.org
  • Elite Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
ThemesDepot says

Some of the changes are a good step forward, however there’s something that it’s not clear to me. Are the shortcodes included into the “Inadmissible” list, admissibles into a plugin shipped with the theme when on sale here on Themeforest ?

21 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
ModSter says

From a month ago to today, I started to become a WordPress theme, if my functions and shortcodes is not in accordance with the rules, to change? :( Fresh Today i finished convert

230 posts Premium Website Design
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
  • Power Elite Author
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
ThemeFusion says

First of all, 3 weeks is a joke and even further grace period is a joke for existing themes. We simply needs MONTHS to apply these changes gradually.. like a few per update.

“Inadmissible shortcodes” will not be allowed in “shortcode” plugins If that’s true do you know how buyers will react?

1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

The goal is to have a consistent, public standard so every customer has a seamless experience using our products.

Do you expect that forcing authors to move features from theme to bespoke plugins will allow end users to switch from this to this seamlessy ?

More likely, each theme will include its own set of custom plugins that would need to be mandatory installed to replicate the demo and to mix them with previous themes custom plugins will lead to anything but a seamless experience for buyers and authors.

Who’s going to deal with raging buyers when everything will break horribly (because it will) ? Who’s going to bear the burden of support ? old theme author ? new one ? you think buyers will accept “we can only support our own theme/plugins when used together” kind of answer ?

Who asked for this changes ? buyers ? I doubt so, having dealt with thousands of them myself and not yet having found one who cares about the issues you’re trying to address with these new rules.

You’re trying to enforce wp.org rules on TF when TF products are anything like wp.org ones.

31 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
lollum says

Ok. But, are page builders allowed?

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
Japh Staff says

First of all, 3 weeks is a joke and even further grace period is a joke for existing themes. We simply needs MONTHS to apply these changes gradually.. like a few per update.

Three weeks was our initial thoughts before we start applying all these to newly submitted themes. We’re happy to take your feedback into consideration on this though, of course!

As for existing themes, we know it’s going to take months, and you’ll have them :)

“Inadmissible shortcodes” will not be allowed in “shortcode” plugins If that’s true do you know how buyers will react?

That’s not what we said, so let’s assume it’s not what we meant ;)

These will be inadmissible in the theme. Shortcodes should be in plugins, not the theme itself, as much as possible.

by
by
by
by
by
by