• Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
ThemesDepot says

What happens, if the plugin that includes the shortcodes, works only if a specific theme is enabled? When the theme enabled is not “compatible” (means not one of mine) i’d just display a message into the admin saying the theme doesn’t support those shortcodes. An author on themeforest already does that so i guess it should be fine ?

91 posts Be different!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
UnitedThemes says

Functionality will need to be added via bespoke plugins instead of via shortcodes as much as possible.

this isn’t clear to me. Do you mean shortcodes should be avoided in general or just moved into a plugin ?

Also, what about custom post types / custom metaboxes ?

Very very good point! I would also like to have some feedback on this question.

100 posts Norris & Tanita
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
ThemeVillage says

Essentially, the longer you’ve been earning money on Envato, the more work you have to do now if you wish to hold on to that income. If you have a dozen, two dozen, three dozen themes up on TF, you’ll be facing busy times indeed.
You could hire somebody to clean up after you. If you have three dozen themes up on TF, you can afford it. And for the most part, you should have used most of the best practices all along. The only difference is that Themeforest wants to ramp up the quality of their items, so authors are asked to clean up the code.
Norris
100 posts Norris & Tanita
  • Elite Author
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
ThemeVillage says
include_once "file.php" == bad
require_once "file.php" == ???

Just making sure.
Is file including bad, or is “unimportant file” including bad ?

7207 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Beta Tester
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
doru says

17 pages thread already

AND

I have nothing to say about this subject :)

136 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Estonia
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
BonfireThemes says

Essentially, the longer you’ve been earning money on Envato, the more work you have to do now if you wish to hold on to that income. If you have a dozen, two dozen, three dozen themes up on TF, you’ll be facing busy times indeed.
You could hire somebody to clean up after you. If you have three dozen themes up on TF, you can afford it. And for the most part, you should have used most of the best practices all along. The only difference is that Themeforest wants to ramp up the quality of their items, so authors are asked to clean up the code.
Norris

:) I wasn’t referring to myself but expressing what I’m sure could well be a general concern (anyway, check my follow up posts as well). I don’t have a dozen themes yet, and my stuff is already clean and proper, though I’m sure an update here and there will still be necessary as the list covers things not brought up before.

1 post
wpspeak says

What about custom post types? Obviously using custom post types within the theme will make the custom posts go away when the user switches to another theme, we need to add the custom post types in plugins as well?

Completely agree with you. Never… include… CPT… in… theme…

90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

Siddarth and Japh you need to tread finely here.

Page builders are just as functionality as the appointment managers, calendars and music players in my themes. It would be sad for me to see a different rule for my “functionality” just because I’m a minority on the forest.

I’m confused a little.

Currently i have functionality on my themes that users use every day, appointment managers, calendars music players and more.

I write now a theme pack plugin to house that functionality.

But nothing changed….........

I just move some code to comply with a rule and my buyer is the one that will suffer, because now they need to first install the theme and then the plugin in stead of just the theme.

Nothing changed, the same set of code in a different set of folders and increased work and frustration for the buyers.

Come update time and you’ll see a real mess, because the Envato updater will update the theme but not the plugin, so it’s useless for any purposes.

If you said “AJ” you can write an accordion shortcode but here’s the rules: 1. all accordions use the same classes. 2. all accordions use the same structure, 3. all accordions use the same shortcode terms and labels then if the buyer move to a different theme we did him a favor, his shortcode will still work.

That would make sense to me.

I have a lot of buyers out there, and a massive amount of them did their “special brand” of customization to the themes.

if i write everything to comply with the rules, I’ve just created crap for my buyers because I force them now to recode their themes.

Now my buyer becomes my “worker” just because i need to move the same functionality to a different set of folders to comply with rules?

Either way I force them into additional time and costs or face their investment becoming useless.

I have no problem with compliance with code validators, hinters, linters, prodders, diagnosers, confumifiers, dingamajigs, watchamacallits, fuckemagits or any thing you want to point me to.

Point me in the direction and i’ll comply, but the other stuff…................ my mind boggles.

So here’s my suggestion:

I need to write my code in such a way that i can prove that if I take away my custom functionality, my theme will still run as a theme albeit with reduced functionality and a little wordpress.org style.

I need to write a instruction for my customer to delete the “app functionality”, and if he deletes it, the theme should still be a useable theme.

I need to prove that my custom functionality is actually a plugin, and the only reason that it’s not a plugin is that it’s stupid to include it as a plugin. and if needed i can delete one folder and all custom functionality will be gone and the theme will still be useable.

Leave the old themes alone please, we’re opening a can of worms here.

AJ

62 posts WordPress Themes Like Never Before
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • United States
+3 more
Astoundify says

Shortcodes, contact forms, SEO options should never be included in a theme. Your absolutely crazy if you do that!

But unfortunately a lot of ThemeForest authors do this because they think it will help sell themes, but in the end your only making the theme BLOATED with options, making it harder for you to update all the themes as there is a ton of code and making it harder for customers to switch themes as the shortcodes, options are inside of the theme and not apart of a plugin.

Most customers looking for shortcodes, contact forms, SEO options etc in the theme may not be aware of the plugins available, how easy they are to install, and how big of a pain it would be if they switched themes and had to go through all of their content again to re-input Shortcode info, Contact Form info, SEO info, . SEO, analytics, and contact forms have nothing to do with a theme’s appearance, therefor they shouldn’t be part of the theme’s options in our opinion.

I praise Envato/ThemeForest for creating a better set of guidelines as the barrier to entry for WordPress themes was way too easy.

731 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
mordauk says

I keep seeing this (summarized):

” So I have to create a separate plugin for all of my short codes? Now we’ll have hundreds of different short code plugins from all the different theme authors.”

The point that everyone who has said this is missing that NO, you should not be creating your own custom plugins for all of your short codes, you should be relying on freely available plugins that are already released.

For example, if you want to support columns in your theme, simply use the Grid Columns plugin from Justin Tadlock: http://justintadlock.com/archives/2012/10/03/grid-columns-wordpress-plugin

If you want to include support for a contact form, style Ninja Forms, Contact Form 7, or Gravity Forms.

The point is not to overly confuse things by requiring that you separate your own functionality into plugins, but that you allow for functionality via existing plugins.

There is zero reason (absolutely zero) for any theme to ever build in their own contact form, or their own column short codes.

I’ve mentioned this to Japh, but one of the best things Envato could do along with these new regulations is to provide a list of “standard plugins” that all themes should consider supporting.

Many of the “standard” plugins, such as Contact Form 7, are so ubiquitously used by users that it’s in the best interest for theme authors to support them anyway.

by
by
by
by
by
by