366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Buttons, dropcaps, lists shortcodes should be inadmissible shortcodes to follow this suggestion http://justintadlock.com/archives/2011/05/02/dealing-with-shortcode-madness from JustinTadlock.

I’ll discuss this further with the review team. Thanks for the link!

280 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
PrimaThemes says

Could you please re-check again about admissible and inadmissible shortcodes?

I see buttons, dropcaps, and lists are admissible shortcodes, but columns, maps, and contact forms are inadmissible shortcodes….

Switched? Are you sure?
Sorry, I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking..

Japh, please read this article from JustinTadlock http://justintadlock.com/archives/2011/05/02/dealing-with-shortcode-madness I think it is better if you put buttons, dropcaps, and lists shortcodes to inadmissible lists…

117 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
nagaemas says

Hi,

Thanks for the update, I’ve been working on my first WP theme and framework for the past two months. I was worried after seeing many talks about how WP themes should only handle presentation, not functionality. This post makes me sure that I’ve to move all the functionality of my themes into a plugin and activate it with TGM Activation.

This all means that when we create themes, we don’t include our WP framework into the theme, but instead ship a set of our custom plugins that handles the functionality, while passing the rendering of HTML and CSS to the theme right?

The question is, is it allowed to make my own core functionality plugin (like this one here: http://www.billerickson.net/core-functionality-plugin/), that accepts my other set of plugins as its components. The components then, will not work without firstly installing the core plugin as they depends on hooks of the core plugin.

Thanks!

117 posts
+5 more
nagaemas says

One more question, so theme options framework like NHP or SMOF is no longer allowed as they are not plugins but more of a framework we need to include?

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

The question is, is it allowed to make my own core functionality plugin (like this one here: http://www.billerickson.net/core-functionality-plugin/), that accepts my other set of plugins as its components. The components then, will not work without firstly installing the core plugin as they depends on hooks of the core plugin.

There’s no problem using a core plugin that can be extended by other plugins. Many other plugins do this.

One more question, so theme options framework like NHP or SMOF is no longer allowed as they are not plugins but more of a framework we need to include?

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use a theme options framework, providing your theme still passes the requirements :)

10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
deeppurple says

Hi,

I’m using reCAPTCHA library in a theme which uses base64_encode, fwrite, fsockopen and fclose. Is it allowed to use it reCAPTCHA library?

In my opinion, it is not possible and it should not be required to eliminate the info messages.

You will get INFO messages for the following cases:

1. If you place link to your website in theme options or anywhere in the backend so that user knows where to get support.

2. If you use ANY iframe. ALL social buttons, videos and other embedded media uses the iFrames.

Even the wordpress.org official theme directory does not require to eliminate the INFO messages.

117 posts
+5 more
nagaemas says

There’s no problem using a core plugin that can be extended by other plugins. Many other plugins do this.

I don’t see any reason why you couldn’t use a theme options framework, providing your theme still passes the requirements :)

Thanks for the answer :)

One more thing, WP Core API #12:

The text domain parameter must be a string and not a variable or constant.

Is this for the text string or the text domain parameter? As theme-check doesn’t throw any errors if only the text_domain that is using a constant/variable.

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

I’m using reCAPTCHA library in a theme which uses base64_encode, fwrite, fsockopen and fclose. Is it allowed to use it reCAPTCHA library?

In my opinion, it is not possible and it should not be required to eliminate the info messages.

You will get INFO messages for the following cases:

1. If you place link to your website in theme options or anywhere in the backend so that user knows where to get support.

2. If you use ANY iframe. ALL social buttons, videos and other embedded media uses the iFrames.

Even the wordpress.org official theme directory does not require to eliminate the INFO messages.

We want you to eliminate them as much as possible, and anything remaining, will be left to the reviewer’s discretion. But you’ll know that if they are left over, there’s a chance it’ll be a problem for approval.

One more thing, WP Core API #12:

The text domain parameter must be a string and not a variable or constant.

Is this for the text string or the text domain parameter? As theme-check doesn’t throw any errors if only the text_domain that is using a constant/variable.

This is for specifying the text domain parameter.

1791 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

So from now on all the multipurposes will be kind-of-dead? Or they’ll bundle 50 plugins that will anyway NOT LOOK & WORK properly when you switch themes because each theme has individual styling.

From my point of view, we should be selling a complete website solution, not just a part of it. We’re not selling themes to people that change themes like their socks, like they do on wordpress.com or the ones that expect the same look and functionality when they change a premium ThemeForest theme with one from WordPress.org.

3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

What about Option Tree? It throws errors in the theme check..

by
by
by
by
by
by