1766 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

2. About the wpautop – I know we cannot screw with the wp core but can we still filter for example our shortcodes to avoid p and br tags injection all over the theme?
No, you cannot do that. Those filters cause major compatibility problems with hundreds of plugins. I’ve personally lost 100s of support hours due to those filters. Utilize this instead: justintadlock.com/archives/2012/10/03/grid-columns-wordpress-plugin
No, they don’t if done right: https://gist.github.com/bitfade/4555047

Yes, they can be done right. Unfortunately the vast majority of themes that have implemented those have not done it right. It became so much of a problem that it’s been put on the “black list” because it’s so easy to get wrong.

Rely on a plugin like Justin Tadlocks (a truly top notch developer that is respected and revered throughout the entire WP dev community) and you don’t even need to worry about this.

Why should I be limited by someone else’s grid system when I maybe want to use my own? Or Bootstrap? There’s something called ‘creativity’, ever heard of it? We’re theme providers, not damn twentyten child theme creators and mixers of plugins.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

@FinalDestiny I don’t have an answer for you on portfolios. That is a tricky one, but I don’t think Envato is disallowing portfolio post types, so you are still free to do those as you wish.

The mentality that “Standards” mean you can’t be creative is so horribly wrong. By embracing standards, theme and plugin developers can build things that work in tandem instead of constantly fighting conflicts.

1766 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+8 more
FinalDestiny says

Creating custom post types ruins the whole idea of this thread, since those can’t be moved anywhere else on another theme. It’s as simple as that. If there’s no solution for those, why would there be for shortcodes? They’re both functionalities.

And who will provide support in the end for the users using our functionalities in other themes?

1593 posts Chris Robinson
  • Located in United States
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

Not allowing one plugin doesn’t mean not allowing all plugins.

The question was about the same plugin.

Also, maintenance should be easier with TGMPA. If it’s not working better for you, I’d be interested to know why. Keeping the plugin separate for updates means the plugin can be updated independently of the theme, which is great.

It’s a commercial plugin. Buyers cannot auto update it. More, when i first released the theme buyers went and bought the plugin even if it was included, because thought that they should do so in order to update. But this is wrong, since i’ve modified the plugin a lot. So now, i have my own version of the plugin which i only update on theme updates and the buyers have to update both the theme and the plugins. Otherwise they could simply update the theme and the plugin should be update.

Again, this is the case for highly modified plugins, such as i’m using. But it doesn’t matter, since the case is closed. I just wanted to point out some bad logic around this area. How do buyers update commercial plugins? You provide a verison of the plugin? But isn’t this breaking the licenses a bit? You’re basically giving the buyer the plugin for free, which he can use anywhere. If the plugin would be embedded in the theme it would be only used in the theme. Anyway, i’m totally offtopic now..

Sorry :)

Even though you modified the plugin you can still use your version > zip it up and utilize the TGM class. I have plugins I’ve written and I still use the activation class instead of including them directly in the theme files.

731 posts
+7 more
mordauk says

Creating custom post types ruins the whole idea of this thread, since those can’t be moved anywhere else on another theme. It’s as simple as that. If there’s no solution for those, why would there be for shortcodes? They’re both functionalities. And who will provide support in the end for the users using our functionalities in other themes?

No not really. There are always exceptions to the rules, but not having rules just creates a free for all that hurts everyone in the end.

3227 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

note TGM Plugin Activation class. throws a bunch of warnings not listed in the acceptable cases(theme check plugin)

415 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
UXbarn says

The mentality that “Standards” mean you can’t be creative is so horribly wrong. By embracing standards, theme and plugin developers can build things that work in tandem instead of constantly fighting conflicts.

But if all theme’s functionality need to rely on the plugins out there, I’m wondering how can theme authors push their ideas and creativity to the edge?

731 posts
+7 more
mordauk says

But if all theme’s functionality need to rely on the plugins, I’m wondering how can theme authors push their ideas and creativity to the edge?

Just because major functionality needs to be in a plugin doesn’t mean you can’t create your own plugins.

For example, if your theme is based around major portfolio features (filtering, categorization, grids, galleries, etc), build a portfolio plugin that is built specifically with the features you want, then style / implement the features provided by the plugin in your theme.

Just because the code exists in a plugin doesn’t mean you can’t be creative. The code is the same no matter where it exists.

Also by placing your major features in a plugin, you can really easily include those features in all of the themes you build. Update the plugin once and all of your themes have the update. So much easier to maintain.

65 posts WordPress Themes Like Never Before
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
Astoundify says

For those asking about a portfolio custom post type plugin, a well respected WordPress plugin/theme author created one, Justin Tadlock – http://themehybrid.com/plugins/custom-content-portfolio

731 posts
+7 more
mordauk says

@FinalDestiny If you need 50 plugins to replicate your layouts, you’re doing something seriously wrong.

Quick (by no means conclusive) count:

1. A plugin for a contact form 2. A plugin for a page builder (assuming Envato decides to not allow these) 3. A plugin for ecommerce, if your theme supports it 4. A plugin (maybe) for pricing tables. These are still allowed, so entirely optional 5. A plugin for columns

So I count 5, and 3 of those are optional for the vast majority of themes.
This is coming from somebody that doesn’t even have any items in ThemeForest. It’s easy for you to support these requirements when you obviously don’t have to update all your ThemeForest items.

No, I don’t have themes in Theme Forest (I’m a plugin developer), but I can tell you how many thousands of hours I have lost due to supporting broken themes that these new requirements are meant to alleviate.

Try and tell me that building and maintaining your own contact form (just as an example) that is implemented separately in every theme you build is easier to update than supporting a plugin via just a few lines of CSS.

by
by
by
by
by
by