90 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
Net-Labs says

@mordauk.

Mr restaurant owner is the guy who buys my themes for his restaurant. There’s no rule for buyers that you must be a developer to buy a theme, and 70% of my customers is restaurant owners, musicians, and churches.

IE my target market, that’s where i sell my themes.

the point that you are missing (and i really tried to explain very clearly) is not creating the plugin, its deploying. .................... not difficult to understand.

If Themeforest wants me to add this functionality to a plugin, there should be a way for me to also be able to update my plugin. simple as that. Its the distrubution that’s the problem.

108 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
designedbydash says

If you have a truly unique short code, fine, put it in the theme, but don’t convolute things by re-including all of the basics time and time again.

Unless I’m mistaken, the standard basic shortcodes are not disallowed… they just have to be placed in a plugin. So instead of them being included via the theme, they’ll just be included via plugin(s).

It all seems really silly either way, essentially just re-working all themes to just include a bunch of plugins instead.

The worst part is the updating, if we bundle ZIPs via the TGM plugin and a user updates the theme… they would never re-install the plugin, so trying to explain that to the not-so-advanced users will just waste so much time.

3231 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+1 more
organicbee says

If you have a truly unique short code, fine, put it in the theme, but don’t convolute things by re-including all of the basics time and time again.

Unless I’m mistaken, the standard basic shortcodes are not disallowed… they just have to be placed in a plugin. So instead of them being included via the theme, they’ll just be included via plugin(s).

It all seems really silly either way, essentially just re-working all themes to just include a bunch of plugins instead.

The worst part is the updating, if we bundle ZIPs via the TGM plugin and a user updates the theme… they would never re-install the plugin, so trying to explain that to the not-so-advanced users will just waste so much time.

update the plugins from an external server its not that difficult, if they know how to use WordPress they know how to update themes/plugins

108 posts
+4 more
designedbydash says

update the plugins from an external server its not that difficult, if they know how to use WordPress they know how to update themes/plugins

I’ll send all of our support queries in your direction then when I inevitably get a ton of them when we release an update stating whatever we changed/fixed didn’t work, whereas in actual fact they didn’t update it properly.

3231 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

I’ll send all of our support queries in your direction then when I inevitably get a ton of them when we release an update stating whatever we changed/fixed didn’t work, whereas in actual fact they didn’t update it properly.

I guess you dont understand how WordPress update system works or how to preform the proper checks to make sure things dont break, give your users some credit

66 posts WordPress Themes Like Never Before
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+8 more
Astoundify says

We use plugins in all of our themes and have less issues now than when we used to throw the whole pie in the theme. :) Come over from the dark-side and do the right thing. We created a way so that all of our plugins get updated via the WP dashboard from private GitHub repos and WordPress.org, easy peasy lemon squeezy!

90 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Net-Labs says

updating the plugin via external server should not be an option that’s the point. It’s not supported in my contract with TF. They want me to update the files to their server and i agree with that and support it

again, the problem is not the plugin creation but the plugin distribution.

6 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
+3 more
scottsweb says

I am not sure if you are aware but the TGM plugin activation class currently throws around 100 issues in theme check (most relating to text domains) which is going to make it difficult for both the theme authors and the review team to keep on top of.

108 posts
+4 more
designedbydash says

I guess you dont understand how WordPress update system works or how to preform the proper checks to make sure things dont break, give your users some credit

I understand it perfectly fine, thanks. My point is that it’s a nightmare. Considering the 25 pages of pretty much pure backlash, pretty sure I’m not the only one.

Plus I shouldn’t have to deal with updating via an external server. I should only have to worry about uploading stuff to ThemeForest for my theme to work to its full potential; not be forced to update our plugins via an external source.

3231 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

I am not sure if you are aware but the TGM plugin activation class currently throws around 100 issues in theme check (most relating to text domains) which is going to make it difficult for both the theme authors and the review team on top of.

hes already said hes updating due to the announcement https://twitter.com/jthomasgriffin/status/352861959546351616

by
by
by
by
by
by