6 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
scottsweb says

I am not sure if you are aware but the TGM plugin activation class currently throws around 100 issues in theme check (most relating to text domains) which is going to make it difficult for both the theme authors and the review team on top of.
hes already said hes updating due to the announcement https://twitter.com/jthomasgriffin/status/352861959546351616

Good news! :)

87 posts Be different!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
UnitedThemes says

updating the plugin via external server should not be an option that’s the point. It’s not supported in my contract with TF. They want me to update the files to their server and i agree with that and support it again, the problem is not the plugin creation but the plugin distribution.

Also the distribution is no problem, see my post on page 23 of this thread.

90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

Astoundify

I’m a developer i create the functionality.

No dark side, but real code.

Tf does not support my doing part of my theme via github because its part of what I sell and my contract is to give them the distribution rights, ie. they hold the keys to the code.

730 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
+2 more
mordauk says

I always built auto-updaters into my plugins that I sold on Code Canyon and was never told I can’t. If TF does not allow it, then that should definitely change.

You are also more than welcome to place your plugins in WordPress.org, which will automatically have an update system.

1989 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

One major advantage is that you, the theme developer, can now use the same, shared functionality in multiple themes.
Common framework included in theme repo as git submodule does it already and without requiring me to rape existing codebase for the sake of it.
108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
designedbydash says

I always built auto-updaters into my plugins that I sold on Code Canyon and was never told I can’t. If TF does not allow it, then that should definitely change. You are also more than welcome to place your plugins in WordPress.org, which will automatically have an update system.

...so then everyone else in the world is free to use our plugins in their own themes (or whatever they like as it’s GPL) and profit off my hard work?

Good one.

730 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
mordauk says

One major advantage is that you, the theme developer, can now use the same, shared functionality in multiple themes.
Common framework included in theme repo as git submodule does it already and without requiring me to rape existing codebase for the sake of it.

But you still have to update each theme independently when you make changes to the framework.

730 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
mordauk says

I always built auto-updaters into my plugins that I sold on Code Canyon and was never told I can’t. If TF does not allow it, then that should definitely change. You are also more than welcome to place your plugins in WordPress.org, which will automatically have an update system.

...so then everyone else in the world is free to use our plugins in their own themes (or whatever they like as it’s GPL) and profit off my hard work?

Good one.
Just saying it’s an option. If you do not want to share your plugin (which is fine), then include your own custom updater like @Astoundify mentioned. As far as I know TF does not prevent this, but if they do, it SHOULD be allowed.
90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

Is there a possibility that we can get a TF personnel member to answer on this?

108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
designedbydash says

Good one.
Just saying it’s an option. If you do not want to share your plugin (which is fine), then include your own custom updater like @Astoundify mentioned. As far as I know TF does not prevent this, but if they do, it SHOULD be allowed.

I would say it’s likely allowed, the point I’m trying to make is that it shouldn’t be on authors’ shoulders to facilitate this kind of functionality.

by
by
by
by
by
by