731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

I always built auto-updaters into my plugins that I sold on Code Canyon and was never told I can’t. If TF does not allow it, then that should definitely change. You are also more than welcome to place your plugins in WordPress.org, which will automatically have an update system.

...so then everyone else in the world is free to use our plugins in their own themes (or whatever they like as it’s GPL) and profit off my hard work?

Good one.
Just saying it’s an option. If you do not want to share your plugin (which is fine), then include your own custom updater like @Astoundify mentioned. As far as I know TF does not prevent this, but if they do, it SHOULD be allowed.
I would say it’s likely allowed, the point I’m trying to make is that it shouldn’t be on authors’ shoulders to facilitate this kind of functionality.

Hey, I’m all for TF providing an easier updater solution.

5 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
nhangen says

I always built auto-updaters into my plugins that I sold on Code Canyon and was never told I can’t. If TF does not allow it, then that should definitely change. You are also more than welcome to place your plugins in WordPress.org, which will automatically have an update system.

...so then everyone else in the world is free to use our plugins in their own themes (or whatever they like as it’s GPL) and profit off my hard work?

Good one.
Just saying it’s an option. If you do not want to share your plugin (which is fine), then include your own custom updater like @Astoundify mentioned. As far as I know TF does not prevent this, but if they do, it SHOULD be allowed.
I would say it’s likely allowed, the point I’m trying to make is that it shouldn’t be on authors’ shoulders to facilitate this kind of functionality.
Hey, I’m all for TF providing an easier updater solution.

In implementing these standards, they probably need to place a little bit of the burden on themselves and do exactly that.

90 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
Net-Labs says

@nhangen

Great to see you. Did not know that important people also frequent the forums.

Not even place a burden, just allow me to put my functionality in a seperate folder and prove to them that the theme works 100% without my code or allow my “plugin” to be activated as a function and not the usual plugin way.

no need to reinvent the wheel.

2010 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
+9 more
bitfade says

But you still have to update each theme independently when you make changes to the framework.
this is leading nowhere. Plugin or whole theme, end users would still need to update and, so far, only themes can be updated via envato api.
631 posts
  • Has referred more than 5000 members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
+9 more
Kriesi says
Most of the discussion here is simply the result of bad communication by Envato if you ask me. The draft for those rules was available months ago and was sent to some authors for feedback. This is part of what I provided as feedback:

Rule: Plugins should be included via the TGM Plugin Activation class

Something which needs clarification I think. I will bundle the layerslider plugin with my next theme. I consider it much better user experience if it is included in a way that the user doesnt need to do anything to have the functionality available. So what I would suggest:
  • if a plugin can not be included directly into the theme (eg WooCommerce, too complex to call directly) the TGM Plugin Class needs to be used
  • if a plugin can be included directly because it was designed that way, the TGM Plugin class should not be required. BUT: the theme author needs to make sure that if the user has the plugin already installed or installs it later on, that the theme-included plugin no longer is used.
I have used this method for all of my previous themes and customers liked that behavior a lot, since it allows them to update plugins on their own without any problems, yet the still get what the buy, from the moment they activate the theme.

Rule: Inadmissible shortcodes:

If I am allowed to add this functionality with a plugin that is included the way I described it above? then I am ok with that.

I still think this makes sense and I think if it would have been added to the requirements this thread would probably have 15 pages less :P
731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

That works really well, @Kriesi

90 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
+5 more
Net-Labs says

@kriesi

that’s all that I ask. if that can happen i’ll be a happy camper.

Thanks for your support on this.

30 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Located in Europe
+1 more
nilz_w says

Holy S*, I stopped reading at around page 18… I think Envato has to consider a lot of the authors criticism and than make a clear statement of where they are heading with the new upload requirements. A lot of people, me included, seem to be confused.

38 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
lollum says

Ok, I can include my page builder functionality with a plugin. But if I want to use a page element in a theme and this element will not be used in another theme? How can I do this? A different “page-builder-plugin” for every theme?

9 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Serbia
WPCanyon says

Ok, I can include my page builder functionality with a plugin. But if I want to use a page element in a theme and this element will not be used in another theme? How can I do this? A different “page-builder-plugin” for every theme?

No, just make the plugin a bit flexible. Take add_theme_support() for example, you can activate certain features in the theme but not required to, just do the same thing for the page builder plugin.

by
by
by
by
by
by