614 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

Are the shortcodes given in the Inadmissible list not allowed in themes anymore??

But what about a pagebuilder who uses shortcodes to create a layout or something?

Or is it only allowed when the shortcodes are inside a plugin??
Yes, inadmissible shortcodes aren’t allowed anymore in the theme, they should reside in a plugin ;)

Ok! and you can just put the plugin inside the package like a asked above? Cuz i’ve been working on a KILLER page composer, would be a shame if those moths of work will be for nothing :)

114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
nagaemas says

Are the shortcodes given in the Inadmissible list not allowed in themes anymore??

But what about a pagebuilder who uses shortcodes to create a layout or something?

Or is it only allowed when the shortcodes are inside a plugin??
Yes, inadmissible shortcodes aren’t allowed anymore in the theme, they should reside in a plugin ;)
Ok! and you can just put the plugin inside the package like a asked above? Cuz i’ve been working on a KILLER page composer, would be a shame if those moths of work will be for nothing :)

Yes, I’ve already started converting the framework I’ve been working on for the last two months to separate modular plugins, and that’s what I’m going to do as well :)

90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

Siddarth & Japh thanks for the feedback, all seems clearer in the morning.

After reading through the TGM plugin activation class, it seems that all that’s needed can be done.

I’m on board with the changes.

Last question:

Can I include all my functionality in one plugin or will it need to be different ones?:

one restaurant pack plugin

vs

1 plugin for food menus —1 plugin for reservations - 1 plugin for specials & promotions

If i can get my head around this one i’m ready to roll.

AJ

114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
nagaemas says

Siddarth & Japh thanks for the feedback, all seems clearer in the morning.

After reading through the TGM plugin activation class, it seems that all that’s needed can be done.

I’m on board with the changes.

Last question:

Can I include all my functionality in one plugin or will it need to be different ones?:

vs

1 plugin for food menus —1 plugin for reservations - 1 plugin for specials & promotions

If i can get my head around this one i’m ready to roll.

AJ

Want to know about this also, is it allowed to make plugin packages for the themes, thus like converting the framework into a plugin, or should the plugins be really modular so it can be used on all themes?

101 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
Speed730 says

Security Requirements section is the best part thanks :)

614 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
ChapterThemes says

@nagaemas thx, and good luck with the work! :)

@Net-Labs good point – i’m guessing they need to be separate plugins. Since this whole thing is about ‘good practice’. But it should depend on the functionality – if the separate functions rely on eachother i think they could be in 1 plugin.

But lets wait and see what they have to say about this :)

32 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
dyspersion says

can we also add a SSL check for all external scripts/styles loaded, Ive had some cases where assets fail because of SSL.
function prefix_styles(){
//Check if is ssl
$schema = is_ssl() ? 'https://' : 'http://'; 
wp_register_style( 'cw-font', $schema . 'fonts.googleapis.com/css?family=Noto+Sans:400,700,400italic' , array(), 1.0 , false  );    
}

Perhaps it would make more sense for these assets to be loaded without the protocol so they adopt whatever the current protocol is? Thoughts?
I believe scripts should ideally be loaded with no protocol specified ex:
//domain.tld/filename.ext
, but keep in mind that that doesn’t work on local (MAMP-based) servers where the protocol is
file://dir/dir2/filename.ext
If something is being generated by WordPress and served by Apache (the A in MAMP) it’s being generated and served over HTTP or HTTPS protocols. file: just views static html files.

You’re right! I now can’t remember why it doesn’t work on my MAMP setup, but I remember there was an issue there. Too tired; time for bed. Thx for clarifying!

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

Another questions: Is it OK to pack your own set of plugins inside the theme folder for buyers to upload and activate? Like said in the TGM instructions:
'source'                => get_stylesheet_directory() . '/lib/plugins/tgm-example-plugin.zip', // The plugin source
Does this mean every theme folder will be packed with plugin files? If so… is that a good thing since a plugin should be in de plugins folder ?

Yes, this is ok, and no that’s not how TGMPA works. The plugin is installed from the packaged location into the plugins directory by TGMPA.

148 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
loveetc says

@Japh

Just a quick question. Can we use social links (twitter/facebook etc) in the theme to share the posts? These links use iframe to display their buttons and you get the “INFO” message that the iFrame has been used.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

vs

Assuming the functionality makes sense together, this is exactly what I would expect. A restaurant plugin that gives all restaurant functionality to a theme that supports it.

by
by
by
by
by
by