576 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

Another questions: Is it OK to pack your own set of plugins inside the theme folder for buyers to upload and activate? Like said in the TGM instructions:
'source'                => get_stylesheet_directory() . '/lib/plugins/tgm-example-plugin.zip', // The plugin source
Does this mean every theme folder will be packed with plugin files? If so… is that a good thing since a plugin should be in de plugins folder ?
Yes, this is ok, and no that’s not how TGMPA works. The plugin is installed from the packaged location into the plugins directory by TGMPA.

Thanks!

At first i was against such steps, but it somehow feels good to have a little push to do things the right and clean way

49 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
carlhancock says

@Net-Labs good point – i’m guessing they need to be separate plugins. Since this whole thing is about ‘good practice’. But it should depend on the functionality – if the separate functions rely on eachother i think they could be in 1 plugin. But lets wait and see what they have to say about this :)

It’s is also for @Net-Labs, if your building a theme for restaurants and want functionality for restaurants such as menu management, specials, etc. then that could reside in a single plugin designed to provide restaurant web site functionality. You wouldn’t create a plugin for menus, a plugin for specials, a plugin for reservations.

If the functionality is all related, the it makes sense for it to be in a single plugin.

Gravity Forms doesn’t have a plugin for its form editor, a plugin for viewing form entries, a plugin for the shortcode functionality, etc. it’s a single plugin.

So you’d be building a plugin that provide resultant specific functionality that could include menu management, reservations, specials, etc.

If you’re real smart then you’d build it in such a way that it was usable in its own WITHOUT your theme. Then you could sell it by itself on CodeCanyon, or bundle it with a theme in ThemeForest. Then you could create additional restaurant themes that also use that plugin.

Now if you have a restaurant functionality plugin and then want fu ctionality for doing generic shortcodes (columns, tabs, etc.) then that’s when they don’t relate and should be separate.

As I mentioned, TF developers or Envato itself should solve the shortcode (tabs, columns, etc.) issue by coming together and creating a single standardized plugin that provides this fu ctionality. Then the theme developers just need to override its default styles to style things to match their theme. No point in every theme dev creating their own shortcode plugin.

A lot of the questions really show how much about WordPress development best practices some of you guys really need to learn. Especially since you are selling a product to users who expect you to be experts because you arr selling WordPress products. With all the confusion over what should be best practices when it comes to WordPress, it shows that some of you guys still have a lot to learn about WordPress.

Envato is doing what is best for the users and the community as a whole. Not because they want to hurt their business or yours. Things were out of control with very poor practices and rampant a copy-n-pasting of poor code popping up in theme after theme. At least now when there is rampant cop-n-pasting of functionality they’ll be more likely to be implementing code built following best practices.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

Just a quick question. Can we use social links (twitter/facebook etc) in the theme to share the posts? These links use iframe to display their buttons and you get the “INFO” message that the iFrame has been used.

Considering the number of plugins available that do this, I’d be interested to know why you’d want to?

94 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
pixedelic says

Another question: will be approved the theme only or also the plugins that come with the theme? Because in the first case it would be easy to respect the standards for the theme, but the plugins could be full of s**t without any control by the Themeforest staff.

32 posts
  • United States
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
dyspersion says

As a WordPress expert and one f the co-founders of one of th most successful commercial WordPress plugins in existence I would say your quote above scares the shit out of me.
Hahahahaha! Please understand that while I am a very experienced developer, a lot of the users I come across are not. They have no idea what WordPress is, much less a theme or a plugin. I’m merely putting forth a use case representing much of what I come across.

I don’t want to get too far off topic, but IMHO, WordPress is great for developers but is very confusing for the typical internet user. ThemeForest (right or wrong) currently bridges much of that gap. The more complexity that gets dumped in the user’s lap, the more users that are going to be turned off and will go somewhere else for a solution to their problem. That’s all I’m saying.

I’d be happy to answer your other questions privately so as not to clog this forum. ;)

Scott
94 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
pixedelic says

Just a quick question. Can we use social links (twitter/facebook etc) in the theme to share the posts? These links use iframe to display their buttons and you get the “INFO” message that the iFrame has been used.
Considering the number of plugins available that do this, I’d be interested to know why you’d want to?

Maybe because the author of a theme don’t have any control on the plugins, maybe because the plugins often load a lot of unnecessary things, maybe because the author of a free plugin could suddenly decide to not support it anymore…

606 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Blog Editor
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Forum Moderator
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
+9 more
Siddharth Staff says

Can I include all my functionality in one plugin or will it need to be different ones?:

one restaurant pack plugin

vs

1 plugin for food menus —1 plugin for reservations - 1 plugin for specials & promotions
This is up to your discretion. A full restaurant plugin sounds just as awesome as three modular plugins working in tandem. You’re completely free to make a decision that suits your purposes here. I’m not that bad of a control freak. :)

Siddarth & Japh thanks for the feedback, all seems clearer in the morning. I’m on board with the changes.
Yay!
1989 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
+4 more
bitfade says

As the co-founder of the company behind one of the most successful commercial WordPress plugins on the marketplace I can say that these guidelines will go a long way to solve a major issue for us as a company… conflicts caused by poorly developed ThemeForest themes. I can tell you that 99% of all support issues caused by theme conflicts, not a problem with our product itself, were ThemeForest themes.
if that shitty code is moved from the theme to a plugin shipped within the theme which is auto installed, your support issues will still be there after the change.

You won’t see any features reduction in TF themes because TF buyers don’t care what you, other plugin dev or wp core dev thinks a theme should be. They want turnkey products or they are agencies providing cheap complete websites to their clients.

You wanna change that ? feel free to join TF and educate the buyers yourself using your own products. Our main income comes from selling themes here and to tell buyers “you’re doing it wrong” isn’t what pays our bills end of the month.

What will happen is, each theme will ship its own set of custom plugins, mandatory to replicate all demo features which will only work when used within the original theme and not supported as standalone product (as in free item support).

But who cares right ? this move isn’t about buyers or authors after all. Let’s move all the custom code into a plugin which would be useless once the theme is replaced just so envato can say “look, our themes are not feature bloated anymore, code is inside a plugin!”
606 posts
  • Envato Staff
  • Blog Editor
  • Senior Reviewer
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Forum Moderator
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
+9 more
Siddharth Staff says

Maybe because the author of a theme don’t have any control on the plugins, maybe because the plugins often load a lot of unnecessary things, maybe because the author of a free plugin could suddenly decide to not support it anymore…
You’re free to use your own plugin or just fork the original plugin and put it on Bitbucket or Github.

Another question: will be approved the theme only or also the plugins that come with the theme? Because in the first case it would be easy to respect the standards for the theme, but the plugins could be full of s**t without any control by the Themeforest staff.
Plugins that the theme makes use of will be vetted. If it’s a well known plugin, say GravityForms, we can assume there’s no funny business going on and give it a pass. If it’s author written, they’ll be quickly checked to make sure nothing malicious is inside.

Basically, a theme’s dependencies will be checked, whether packaged with the theme or references elsewhere.

2 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
brainthemes says

I think it’s better if themeforest create special theme checker plugin that auto check all or most themeforest submission requirements so theme developer will try to check the theme using that plugin before submitted. Theme developer will create theme more quickly and decrease the team reviewers job list.

by
by
by
by
by
by