• Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

@carlhancock. That’s great then.

believe it or not, but all of TF is not about the accordion shortcode.

There’s guys like us who have a passion for specific industries, and spend our waking moments building solutions for that industries. and one of the solutions is to make our solutions not look like sh*t in themes.

I would like to see the rest of the theme shops get in line with this big community cleansing. Because the things that you are screaming against are not compliant in their themes as well.

I want to bet that if we get together in 6 months time and revisit this discussion we will realize that all the rhetoric was another blow in the themeforest witch hunt, and other theme shops will still have all this “non” compliant code in their themes, and nobody will notice, because the next wave of screams will come running towards us.

355 posts
  • Slovakia
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
LubosVolovar says
@bitfade +100

moving the functionality to plugin is not a problem, but making the plugin to be widely compatible with other themes that’s another level of work which opens so many questions… But without this compatibility there is no point doing it.

148 posts
  • Has been a member for 0-1 years
loveetc says

Just a quick question. Can we use social links (twitter/facebook etc) in the theme to share the posts? These links use iframe to display their buttons and you get the “INFO” message that the iFrame has been used.
Considering the number of plugins available that do this, I’d be interested to know why you’d want to?
Maybe because the author of a theme don’t have any control on the plugins, maybe because the plugins often load a lot of unnecessary things, maybe because the author of a free plugin could suddenly decide to not support it anymore…

There can be really many reasons, as pixedelic mentioned. I asked because I want the user to select if s/he wants to display it in each of the post, so that user can display in specific posts only.

For that purpose, it would make much more sense to me to add a post meta field to store the user preference for each post.

23 posts
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
neutrico says

So, there is no limitation to public available plugins? Can we bundle custom plugins dedicated to theme? Can we bundle plugins that will be on sale via CC separately?

In fact theme will become just a set of css styles. Everyting else should be separated to plugins.

Do you have some forecast what impact on theme sales this move could have?

426 posts Code is Poetry
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
egemenerd says

wp_enqueue_script() must be used to add any JavaScript code to a page.

I have a question about that. I’m using backstretch and I should add this code for every page to find the featured image of the page…

<script type="text/javascript"> jQuery("body").backstretch("<?php echo $post_thumbnail_url ?>"); </script>

I’m also using different javascript files for different pages. (homepage.js for homepage, innerpage.js for some inner pages) So I can’t add them to the pages like the following, right?

<script type="text/javascript" src="<?php echo get_template_directory_uri(); ?>/js/homepage.js"></script>

So… what should I do now? :)

57 posts
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
  • Indonesia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
DavidGuns says

thank you Japh and ArcherWebDesigns. I can learn more about this requirements

:)

381 posts Keep Walking
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
UXbarn says

@nagaemas, @carlhancock – Thanks for clarification!

82 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
Coffee-Themes says

So let’s assume that You created theme with all new requirements. You have “base” theme with own css file and some javascript files. On top of that with use TGM You pack 5-10 plugins so few more css files and even more javascript files. Yey, we have theme that is with “standards” that load 10 css files and 20 javascript files. This is so nice solution! We are making things better! And question: After that all we have 100% that functionality from one theme will work with other? No.

And why TGM? Envato need own solution for this, solution that we can base on. If whole marketplace need split themes functionality to plugins and pack them with themes You can’t relay on some else to do this.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

So let’s assume that You created theme with all new requirements. You have “base” theme with own css file and some javascript files. On top of that with use TGM You pack 5-10 plugins so few more css files and even more javascript files. Yey, we have theme that is with “standards” that load 10 css files and 20 javascript files. This is so nice solution! We are making things better! And question: After that all we have 100% that functionality from one theme will work with other? No.

If the implication here is that a problem has been created regarding the number of CSS and JS files, that is very easily rectified, by any customer who cares to do so, with a caching plugin. Again, this is why standards are important, as loading CSS or JS files in a non-standard way would mean this solution wouldn’t work.

And why TGM? Envato need own solution for this, solution that we can base on. If whole marketplace need split themes functionality to plugins and pack them with themes You can’t relay on some else to do this.

Because TGMPA already exists. Why duplicate effort? Why not contribute to something that already exists so everyone can use it? If it so happens that Thomas decides not to continue maintaining it, it’s open source and we can continue to maintain it ourselves.

Are you not relying on WordPress itself in much the same way already?

94 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
pixedelic says

And what about the prices of the themes…? Since they won’t offer anymore a pletora of features, I guess they will be significantly cheaper

by
by
by
by
by
by