• Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
Japh Staff says

WordPress Core API
1. base64_encode() : This is not allowed in a theme, but is it allowed in plugins ? It is being used by popular plugins to import/export settings.

Actually we’re saying this is ok. Normally Theme-Check will throw an error, but we’re allowing it for certain conditions, such as theme frameworks that need it, etc.

WordPress Features
1. Admissible shortcodes list is contentious.
a. Lists is already in WP Editor Tiny MCE, but it is in admissible shortcode whereas Accordion/Toggles are not.
b. What about other common shortcodes like Tabs, Icons etc.

Can you please explain how lists in TinyMCE is a shortcode?

2. Columns shortcodes (in one form or other) are being used by Themes with inbuilt PageBuilder. So, do they have to move out their inbuilt PageBuilder as a separate plugin?

I would imagine that’s one way to resolve the issue, yes.

HTML/CSS
1. W3C Validated, Is it necessary ? Twenty twelve has 12 errors.
2. No Inlines styles? But Inline styles are added by the WP Tiny MCE editor when you try to give text a color or center align the text etc..

As WordPress is doing it there, there isn’t much that can be done, but it’s undesirable behaviour.

Another important question is :
Themeforest API updates the Theme what about the plugins included in the theme using TGI Activation ?

Plugins will need to have their own individual update mechanism. This is one of the issues we’re trying to resolve with this.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

Really?! I’ve included the Visual Composer in my latest theme and i was bashed by the reviewers one whole week because i’ve included the Visual Composer in my theme, which was actually possible since the author of the plugin already gave the tools for doing this. Finally the reviewers told that they will not accept the theme unless i put the plugin inside the TGM activation class, which was stupid, because the plugin is completely modified by me, so now buyers have a really hard time to update and maintain it. Yes, it’s harder to maintain a plugin installed via TGM then a plugin embedded in the theme. You may say otherwise, but you’re not the one who is answering my support tickets :)

Not allowing one plugin doesn’t mean not allowing all plugins.

Also, maintenance should be easier with TGMPA. If it’s not working better for you, I’d be interested to know why. Keeping the plugin separate for updates means the plugin can be updated independently of the theme, which is great.

2 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
freembas says

Can you please explain how lists in TinyMCE is a shortcode? All I am saying here is, Lists is a standard feature in Tiny MCE editor, why should there be a shortcode for this in the first place? and How can this be admissible ?
It is like creating a shortcode for Headings (H1,H2…) and it is in the admissible list. I am merely pointing the inconsistency that I feel here.

3430 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

The question was about the same plugin.

Also, maintenance should be easier with TGMPA. If it’s not working better for you, I’d be interested to know why. Keeping the plugin separate for updates means the plugin can be updated independently of the theme, which is great.

It’s a commercial plugin. Buyers cannot auto update it. More, when i first released the theme buyers went and bought the plugin even if it was included, because thought that they should do so in order to update. But this is wrong, since i’ve modified the plugin a lot. So now, i have my own version of the plugin which i only update on theme updates and the buyers have to update both the theme and the plugins. Otherwise they could simply update the theme and the plugin should be update.

Again, this is the case for highly modified plugins, such as i’m using. But it doesn’t matter, since the case is closed. I just wanted to point out some bad logic around this area. How do buyers update commercial plugins? You provide a verison of the plugin? But isn’t this breaking the licenses a bit? You’re basically giving the buyer the plugin for free, which he can use anywhere. If the plugin would be embedded in the theme it would be only used in the theme. Anyway, i’m totally offtopic now..

Sorry :)

269 posts New Elite in Town!
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Romania
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+1 more
icypixels says

Congratulations Japh and the whole team at Envato which participated in this! Now it’s time for cleaner, better and standards compliant themes. No more bashing on ThemeForest from others. This was long overdue :)

Congrats again!

3430 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
+5 more
KrownThemes says

I’m all for the new standards (don’t get me wrong) and i like most of them, but this with plugins is a bit hard to swallow since it has a lot of sides to consider..

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

Can you please explain how lists in TinyMCE is a shortcode? All I am saying here is, Lists is a standard feature in Tiny MCE editor, why should there be a shortcode for this in the first place? and How can this be admissible ?
It is like creating a shortcode for Headings (H1,H2…) and it is in the admissible list. I am merely pointing the inconsistency that I feel here.

Thanks for clarifying! I’ll discuss this further with the review team.

The question was about the same plugin.

Perhaps I misunderstood your first post? I thought you were saying “You aren’t allow to include plugins in your theme at all”, but perhaps you actually meant “Not all plugins will be allowed to be included”?

It’s a commercial plugin. Buyers cannot auto update it. More, when i first released the theme buyers went and bought the plugin even if it was included, because thought that they should do so in order to update. But this is wrong, since i’ve modified the plugin a lot. So now, i have my own version of the plugin which i only update on theme updates and the buyers have to update both the theme and the plugins. Otherwise they could simply update the theme and the plugin should be update.

Well this is an interesting grey area isn’t it. You’ve forked a plugin, and can now only offer updates via theme inclusion?

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Exclusive Author
Japh Staff says

Congratulations Japh and the whole team at Envato which participated in this! Now it’s time for cleaner, better and standards compliant themes. No more bashing on ThemeForest from others. This was long overdue :) Congrats again!

Thanks, Icypixels! :D

438 posts Don't be a HATER!
  • Exclusive Author
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Won a Competition
webinpixels says
7. Themes are not permitted to add options that define the number of posts to show on archive or category pages.

Is there any reasons why we can’t do this? We can filtered the ‘pre_get_posts’ to change posts_per_page value for archives and category. Problem will raise with the theme that have many post types, or theme that provide option to choose columns layout per category.

Anyway this is a great news, thanks!

100 posts Norris & Tanita
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
ThemeVillage says

HTML/CSS
1. W3C Validated, Is it necessary ? How many errors are acceptable ? Bootstrap, Twnty twelve all show errors with W3C.
2. No Inlines styles? But Inline styles are added by the WP Tiny MCE editor when you try to give text a color or center align the text etc..

+1 from here. Having the exact thoughts about this.

Norris.

by
by
by
by
by
by