145 posts
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
Cubell says

Apart from the new system being a bad idea from a customer standpoint and that it will transform into a support nightmare for authors the next thing is, why even bother uploading a new theme for the foreseeable future?

If the grace period for the old themes is a lot longer every new theme will offer a tremendously reduced user experience and value compared to the old themes. It will be very hard for new themes to even slightly compete with old bestsellers, especially as in the beginning i can see a lot of angry reviews and bad ratings for the new themes since customers wont get what they are used to.

Uploading a new theme during the next weeks is like sending a diver with a knife to fight nuclear submarines.

Excellent point. And highlights my “domino effect” argument perfectly. Authors might stop making themes until all old popular themes are updated, or new buyers will not like the new cheaper feel of the themes that rely on free plugins and leave bad ratings + reviews + complaints, that the author will not be happy with which will lead to further problems… etc… etc..

33 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
lollum says

As was mentioned by someone earlier, what about “add_theme_support()” style functionality? The plugin handles various features, not all themes utilise them? Is this an option, or simple impractical?

Ok, we can activate only certains elements in a theme. But how can we style this elements? Inside the theme I presume, because the look of a certain element can be totally different in another theme.

Well. Whats happens if I switch this theme with Twenty Twelve for example? I lose all my styles.

Also, my framework is based on bootstrap. So i lose the whole grid system.

The question is: does the “page-builder-plugin” have to be compatible with all themes?

256 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
+5 more
der says

Imagine one plugin per theme. Multiply that with multiple themes. A customer may have unused plugins hanging around if she has multiple themes installed and/or uninstalled. This creates extra issues for support, as some users are not used to the theme-with-plugin paradigm.

Additional issues arise when you update the shortcodes in the plugin. “Dear user, just update the plugin and not the theme”. Awesome.

As per the new requirements overall, I think this is a both a good thing and a bad thing, which on the long run may transform ThemeForest into a different marketplace than the one we have been used to.

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

This is an interesting mentality… the problem is, buyers also want to be able to use the plethora of plugins and resources available for WordPress outside of ThemeForest. In that case do you believe buyers should choose one or the other? Either you have a WordPress theme from ThemeForest and accept that your site will probably break using outside plugins, or does ThemeForest make some changes to try and make their themes play nicely within the rest of the WordPress ecosystem?

How is this related to forcing authors to move code from a theme framework within a plugin ? Bad code will always break other 3rd party components, now matter where it’s located.

No author would complain If you’d only tried to address compatibility issues by enforcing more strict coding rules like “if mess with autop, you’re going to have a bad time”. Same goes for jslint checks, mandatory hooks, proper prefix, wp_nav_menu and so on because those are standards every theme author should already be following and enforcing them will only increase overall quality.

The problem is related to quality of the code rather than its quantity: even the most simple blog skin theme could kill almost any plugin in few lines, whereas the “one theme to rule them all” could be the 3rd party components best buddy when properly coded.

Never forget what ours buyers are looking for, the truth can be found in your popular WP section: TF themes are not and will never be anything like blog skins.

Authors have worked years on their frameworks to offer complex features like page builders and now you ask them to move into a plugin as if those complex components were simple self contained button shortcodes. They have requirements as in page structure, js and css code and won’t work in anything different than the themes they were built to be bundled with.

So what’s the point in having a plethora of custom plugins that will become useless once the theme is switched ? How is this supposed to makes things better for buyers and authors ?

426 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
SimpleSites4U says

As per the new requirements overall, I think this is a good thing and a bad thing, which on the long run may transform ThemeForest into a different marketplace than the one we have been used to.

There are loads of similar marketplaces all over the place, a concern is that TF will loose what makes it unique. Tricky

313 posts Mad Dog
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+6 more
mad_dog says

Maybe the main goal of all these changes is to make the authors to create awesome and free plugins for wordpress org community, they will be happy? Why should I create a plugin that will be used by someone for free? I do not want to spend my time by searching and doing the system to protect all the plugins. I’m a member of this marketplace because I do and want to create themes, not the skins and plugins.

28 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
Tiguan says
So what’s the point in having a plethora of custom plugins that will become useless once the theme is switched ? How is this supposed to makes things better for buyers and authors ?
+1 Good saying! I’d also like an answer to this question.
104 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
+4 more
pixedelic says

+1

180 posts Enjoy!
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
XanderRock says

Maybe the main goal of all these changes is to make the authors to create awesome and free plugins for wordpress org community, they will be happy? Why should I create a plugin that will be used by someone for free? I do not want to spend my time by searching and do the system to protect all the plugins. I’m a member of this marketplace because I do and want to create themes, not the skins and plugins.

I’ve read over 25 pages of this thread. There is no specific answer for the Page Builders and some other core features.

I would suggest to have a new category named “Wordpress Skins” instead of changing the current Themes. This marketplace releases the high-tech themes with amazing functionality. And those are unique functions. Not general.

Wordpress Skins category can be just like HTML or PSD templates. Someone wants a regular wordpress theme without any functionality? He/she can buy the only skin. No plugins, no features, no shortcodes included. Purchase, download install and start to use just like you do with Wordpress’s default themes. You want a pricing table? Go buy a Pricing Table plugin. And that’s it. Lower price and only skin.

104 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has referred 100+ members
+4 more
pixedelic says

I would suggest to have a new category named “Wordpress Skins” instead of changing the current Themes. This marketplace releases the high-tech themes with amazing functionality. And those are unique functions. Not general. Wordpress Skins category can be just like HTML or PSD templates. Someone wants a regular wordpress theme without any functionality? He/she can buy the only skin. No plugins, no features, no shortcodes included. Purchase, download install and start to use just like you do with Wordpress’s default themes. You want a pricing table? Go buy a Pricing Table plugin. And that’s it. Lower price and only skin.

+1

by
by
by
by
by
by