366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

So what’s the point in having a plethora of custom plugins that will become useless once the theme is switched ? How is this supposed to makes things better for buyers and authors ?

That is certainly not the solution we envisage. It seems to be a fairly narrow interpretation of what the requirements suggest, actually.

4 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ThemeMoz says

People were expecting some submission guidelines to stick with and avoid rejections, but this requirement of moving features to plugins is a different story, unless you are not planning to rename the marketplace to SkinForest ;)

I’m wondering, why you are not opening a customer survey and asking their opinions?

263 posts Mad Dog
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+6 more
mad_dog says

I would suggest to have a new category named “Wordpress Skins” instead of changing the current Themes. This marketplace releases the high-tech themes with amazing functionality. And those are unique functions. Not general. Wordpress Skins category can be just like HTML or PSD templates. Someone wants a regular wordpress theme without any functionality? He/she can buy the only skin. No plugins, no features, no shortcodes included. Purchase, download install and start to use just like you do with Wordpress’s default themes. You want a pricing table? Go buy a Pricing Table plugin. And that’s it. Lower price and only skin.

+1 Good idea

234 posts Premium Website Design
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $2M+ on Envato Market
  • Interviewed on an Envato blog
+3 more
ThemeFusion says

What would be the best way to provide upgrades for a premium plugin using TGM?

- Muhammad

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

I’ve read over 25 pages of this thread. There is no specific answer for the Page Builders and some other core features.

That’s correct, we don’t have a specific answer on page builders yet. We’re working on it, taking all this feedback into account.

I would suggest to have a new category named “Wordpress Skins” instead of changing the current Themes. This marketplace releases the high-tech themes with amazing functionality. And those are unique functions. Not general. Wordpress Skins category can be just like HTML or PSD templates. Someone wants a regular wordpress theme without any functionality? He/she can buy the only skin. No plugins, no features, no shortcodes included. Purchase, download install and start to use just like you do with Wordpress’s default themes. You want a pricing table? Go buy a Pricing Table plugin. And that’s it. Lower price and only skin.

What you are calling a “WordPress Skin”, is a WordPress theme. Something with a lot more functionality integrate in, may not be simply a “theme” any longer, rather a turnkey solution of some kind.

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

What would be the best way to provide upgrades for a premium plugin using TGM?

TGMPA would simply initially install the plugin. After that, the plugin would manage its own updates, as all plugins do.

94 posts
  • Has referred 100+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
+4 more
pixedelic says

What you are calling a “WordPress Skin”, is a WordPress theme. Something with a lot more functionality integrate in, may not be simply a “theme” any longer, rather a turnkey solution of some kind.

Ok, in this case create a new section called “Super themes” for this kind of themes :-)

31 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Located in Europe
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+3 more
lollum says

So what’s the point in having a plethora of custom plugins that will become useless once the theme is switched ? How is this supposed to makes things better for buyers and authors ?
That is certainly not the solution we envisage. It seems to be a fairly narrow interpretation of what the requirements suggest, actually.

So this plugins have to be compatible with all themes?

That’s correct, we don’t have a specific answer on page builders yet. We’re working on it, taking all this feedback into account.

Ok. Yesterday I finished my theme. What I have to do?

174 posts Enjoy!
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+6 more
XanderRock says

I have read some great authors who developed Page Builders for 2 years are in conflict now. I’ve been developing a Page Builder with my team for 5 months and I’ve stopped everything after I saw this thread.

I know. But that is where we are know. Themeforest became a market where you can find a complete system. Not a skin. I’m naming them as skin and theme because as today themes of the themeforest are complete systems. And I see you want to bring regular skins.

But since the Themeforest’s theme culture is wellknown (thousands of buyers every single week. You do the math) changing it would be a bad impact. Instead you can name that new category as “skin”.

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

So this plugins have to be compatible with all themes?

A plugin shouldn’t break anything even if the theme doesn’t support it. Sure, it might not look so hot on a theme that doesn’t support it, but that is the case with most plugins. I’m not sure what you’re asking here?

Ok. Yesterday I finished my theme. What I have to do?

Submit it! :D

Nothing has changed yet, besides us making public what our requirements list is to be implemented in eight weeks time. Based on all the feedback here, there’ll be some revisions before then too.

by
by
by
by
by
by