• Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
+1 more
kayapati says

Are the themes which are released today passed this requirements?

Because nearly 10 themes are released today & those may not be passed all these guide lines, right?

49 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
carlhancock says

I would suggest to have a new category named “Wordpress Skins” instead of changing the current Themes. This marketplace releases the high-tech themes with amazing functionality. And those are unique functions. Not general. Wordpress Skins category can be just like HTML or PSD templates. Someone wants a regular wordpress theme without any functionality? He/she can buy the only skin. No plugins, no features, no shortcodes included. Purchase, download install and start to use just like you do with Wordpress’s default themes. You want a pricing table? Go buy a Pricing Table plugin. And that’s it. Lower price and only skin.
+1 Good idea

You guys do understand that a theme is precisely a skin, right?

It’s been bastardized into what’s it’s become by theme authors that want to cram every feature under the sun into the theme. That was not the original nor the current intention of a WordPress theme.

The theme is supposed to be the design layer of the site. The skin. They could have just as easily called them skins but they went with the term theme. Why do you think plugins exist?

279 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
PrimaThemes says

Are the themes which are released today passed this requirements? Because nearly 10 themes are released today & those may not be passed all these guide lines, right?

The new guidelines will be started on the next eight weeks…

1712 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

It can have as much functionality as I want, this is why it’s called a CMS and not a blogging system. And if you think it’s us that should be grateful to Envato only, you should know that it goes the other way around as well, Envato would have been nothing without the elite authors.

And, “Do you guys even realize what theme authors with this attitude have done to Envato’s reputation in the overall WordPress community? ” .. Are you serious?

Then why not releasing only GPL themes so everybody else can use our work without even asking…I mean, we need reputation, reputation gives us food, a place to live in and everything else, right?

Suddenly after 5 years they care about reputation? Last time I checked, this was a business and WordPress a CMS, since when do the plugin developers make rules for us, the theme developers?

When the buyers will understand the standards and not buy / expect themes with lot of functionality inside, we’ll apply them too, but till then, it affects both our support work and the sales, so why would we support a measure that probably doubles the time invested in support and decrease our sales?

94 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Italy
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
pixedelic says

It can have as much functionality as I want, this is why it’s called a CMS and not a blogging system. And if you think it’s us that should be grateful to Envato only, you should know that it goes the other way around as well, Envato would have been nothing without the elite authors.

And, “Do you guys even realize what theme authors with this attitude have done to Envato’s reputation in the overall WordPress community? ” .. Are you serious?

Then why not releasing only GPL themes so everybody else can use our work without even asking…I mean, we need reputation, reputation gives us food, a place to live in and everything else, right?

Suddenly after 5 years they care about reputation? Last time I checked, this was a business and WordPress a CMS, since when do the plugin developers make rules for us, the theme developers?

When the buyers will understand the standards and not buy / expect themes with lot of functionality inside, we’ll apply them too, but till then, it affects both our support work and the sales, so why would we support a measure that probably doubles the time invested in support and decrease our sales?

+1 (you’re my new hero)

174 posts Enjoy!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
XanderRock says

I would suggest to have a new category named “Wordpress Skins” instead of changing the current Themes. This marketplace releases the high-tech themes with amazing functionality. And those are unique functions. Not general. Wordpress Skins category can be just like HTML or PSD templates. Someone wants a regular wordpress theme without any functionality? He/she can buy the only skin. No plugins, no features, no shortcodes included. Purchase, download install and start to use just like you do with Wordpress’s default themes. You want a pricing table? Go buy a Pricing Table plugin. And that’s it. Lower price and only skin.
+1 Good idea

It’s been bastardized into what’s it’s become by theme authors that want to cram every feature under the sun into the theme. That was not the original nor the current intention of a WordPress theme.

The theme is supposed to be the design layer of the site. The skin. They could have just as easily called them skins but they went with the term theme. Why do you think plugins exist?

Answer to that can be found at the same page of that reply. I’m not here to arguee with you. Because we are here to be heard from Envato not you.

1712 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

+1 Good idea

Yes, but ThemeForest is not wp.org where you sell simple skins with no functionality and where basically you can choose any theme you want since it doesn’t really make a difference…On ThemeForest we sell complete solutions without having to find all kind of plugins in order to achieve what you see on the demo.

Of course you don’t care about this, since you’re a plugin developer and you don’t really care if the user uses a free theme or a premium one, both are your clients. But we, in order to sell, need to come up with some cool and new features comparing to the mediocre wp.org skins

731 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
mordauk says

“since when do the plugin developers make rules for us, the theme developers?”.

Time to get off your high horse and gain a little humility. Plugin developers don’t make rules for theme developers and theme developers don’t make rules for plugin developers. The community builds rules and guidelines for everyone.

174 posts Enjoy!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+1 more
XanderRock says

+1 May the codes be with you :)

731 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
+2 more
mordauk says
by