3567 posts Ruben Bristian
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
KrownThemes says

Well this is an interesting grey area isn’t it. You’ve forked a plugin, and can now only offer updates via theme inclusion?

Well yes.. And since i included it via TGM i have to provide the archive of the plugins and tell buyers to also update the plugins on certain theme releases.

Also on this topic.. How can you offer updates to any commercial plugin included in the theme if not via theme inclusion?

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

7. Themes are not permitted to add options that define the number of posts to show on archive or category pages.

Is there any reasons why we can’t do this? We can filtered the ‘pre_get_posts’ to change posts_per_page value for archives and category. Problem will raise with the theme that have many post types, or theme that provide option to choose columns layout per category.

Anyway this is a great news, thanks!

WordPress itself already provides a feature for this.

Also, themes that do add this option can break plugins. For example, some plugins might break because the theme is setting a global posts_per_page parameter and so a “number” parameter in the plugin becomes useless.

138 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+2 more
M-Theme says

Also, themes that do add this option can break plugins. For example, some plugins might break because the theme is setting a global posts_per_page parameter and so a “number” parameter in the plugin becomes useless.

Hi, Japh: I do not agree with this view. If you set the post counts options for category, not mean it will change the global posts_per_page parameter.

Also If the theme has portfolio and blog, then the layouts of portfolio and blog are different, the users need to set each post count for the portfolio and blog.

280 posts
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
+1 more
PrimaThemes says

Also on this topic.. How can you offer updates to any commercial plugin included in the theme if not via theme inclusion?

Then we have to start building our custom update system and use buyer purchase code to validate it… *my crazy idea :D

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Hi, Japh: I do not agree with this view. If you set the post counts options for category, not mean it will change the global posts_per_page parameter. Also If the theme has portfolio and blog, then the layouts of portfolio and blog are different, the users need to set each post count for the portfolio and blog.

Good point, thank you. Will take this into consideration.

138 posts
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
+2 more
M-Theme says

Hi, Japh: I do not agree with this view. If you set the post counts options for category, not mean it will change the global posts_per_page parameter. Also If the theme has portfolio and blog, then the layouts of portfolio and blog are different, the users need to set each post count for the portfolio and blog.
Good point, thank you. Will take this into consideration.

Thanks Japh. You are the good guys for authors. HAHA…

10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
deeppurple says
RECOMMENDED: No reference to add_theme_support( 'custom-background', $args ) was found in the theme.

Does it mean, from now all themes MUST support background? What if a theme does not want to add background because it is not meant to be used in the layout? Doesn’t it simply mean that you are making your design ugly by forcefully adding the background support?

448 posts Don't be a HATER!
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
webinpixels says

Hi, Japh: I do not agree with this view. If you set the post counts options for category, not mean it will change the global posts_per_page parameter.

Also If the theme has portfolio and blog, then the layouts of portfolio and blog are different, the users need to set each post count for the portfolio and blog.

+1

WordPress only provides a ‘posts_per_page’ feature for post, and we on more complex situation when we had more than just post (portfolio, gallery, member, etc).

543 posts
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Located in Slovakia
+3 more
LubosVolovar says

Most of the requirements are totally ok. But shortcodes policy will be probably a big isssue for many authors (including me). Especially the grid shortcode. How to deal with this: I am using a customized bootstrap grid for hardcoded part of the theme and also in form of shortcodes. If I move grid shortcode to the plugin, how about my hardcoded classes? I am ok if the user wants to use different grid in his content, but if he installs some bootstrap grid plugin, with custom settings, it will be colliding with my core bootstap styles used in templates. Or should I create my own plugin with my own bootstrap grid ? If somebody have a hint, I will be very grateful.

96 posts
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Won a competition
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+6 more
DOTonPAPER says

Hello,

Theme-Check shows a lot of RECOMMENDED notices in TGM PLugin activation. What you suggest we do in this case?

Thank you

by
by
by
by
by
by