129 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
Cubell says

@CarlHancock I don’t think anyone here is arguing against the changes of code practices or any of the other changes, which of course should definitely be a requirement to ensure no problems with external plugins :)

I think the only sticking point seems to be against the change of having to move functionality (Envato need to define what they mean by this with an extensive list of things) from within the theme to a separate plugin that needs to be be made available to download somewhere (possibly on Wordpress’ plugins repository for free distribution) and that needs to be installed and enabled to function. This is worse for User Experience and I think would devalue themes immensely in the eyes of buyers.

87 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Indonesia
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 000 and 5 000 dollars
hainug says

Hello, I am a prestashop expert and just finish out wordrpess theme to submit on themeforest. All the work is done 100%

But i am totally confused what to do. Here is what i did 1. I modified SMO for theme option fremwork. 2. Use short code generator via tinymce editor which use in our theme function. 3. use column short code for column as we use bootstrap framework.

So what i have to do or modified to meat the standard. :( i am totally confused about the new standard. As i all time maintain the coding standard like wordpress. But wordpress have simple blog and all the author themes is not only blog there are lots of new features on themes. Will envato clear more about this.

If want to know, please submit your theme, and reviewer will told you if there is something wrong :D. Please let me know the result.

Good Luck, hainug
1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
bitfade says

I’ve just re-read the guidelines and the “Functionality will need to be added via bespoke plugins instead of via shortcodes as much as possible.” has just slightly sunk in, at first I thought they were only referring to all shortcodes to be moved to plugins. But it says “functionality”, where is the line drawn on that?

Custom meta boxes? Custom post types? Theme Options Panel? Theme Options Panel with built-in homepage builder? Theme-specific widgets? Review systems (that use meta boxes)? etc?

Once some shortcodes will be forced into custom plugins, custom post types in theme shouldn’t be allowed as well.

49 posts
  • Has been a member for 6-7 years
carlhancock says

And why are some shortcodes allowed/disallowed, don’t all have to be plugins anyway? So you could create your own plugin for an accordion for example and require it. No? Does all of that stuff need to be transferred to a plugin to?

Why are some shortcodes allowed and others not? Because so are unintentionally destructive and others are not.

If a shortcode does anything to manipulate wptexturize or wpautop then it’s destructive and changes core WordPress behavior.

Here’s a great post that discusses why shortcodes such as column shortcodes, etc. are destructive and why they are not allowed under the new guidelines:

http://pippinsplugins.com/never-remove-the-default-the_content-filters-in-themes/

These shortcodes, such as the column shortcode, aren’t allowed be it in a theme or a plugin. Precisely because of the issues they cause as explained in the post I linked to above. It goes back to changing core WordPress behavior as it relates to content output and the wptexturize and wpautop behavior.

49 posts
carlhancock says

That’s not true, all that column shortcode does is restricts container width, which should be handled by other plugins by using fluid daylotu (we are in responsive era after all). Same goes for dealing with autop, it can be set to be used only on custom defined shortcodes and not globally.

Here’s a great article that explains precisely why how the column shortcode as well as the raw/noformat shortcode for getting around autop are destructive and change core WordPress behavior in a majorly negative way that causes p,using conflicts:

http://pippinsplugins.com/never-remove-the-default-the_content-filters-in-themes/
1999 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Won a Competition
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
+4 more
bitfade says

According to Japh, the list of inadmissible shortcodes refers to theme itself and not plugins.

49 posts
carlhancock says

If you can share some links to articles explaining other common problems theme authors are causing, as well as resources where we can learn how to develop clean plugins and themes, I am sure everyone here will appreciate it a lot :)

Here’s a great post that discusses why code that manipulates the content output to implement functionality such as the columns shortcode should not be done:

It discusses why changing core WordPress behavior involving the wptexturize and wpautop functionality should be avoided. It’s why shortcodes such as the columns shortcode, raw/noformat shortcode and others are not allowed under the new guidelines,

49 posts
carlhancock says

According to Japh, the list of inadmissible shortcodes refers to theme itself and not plugins.

I’ll have to ask Japh. Because a couple guidelines, such as not modifying wptexturize and wpautop behavior doesn’t matter if its in a theme or a plugin, it’s destructive either way. And some shortcodes such as the column and raw shortcodes do just that. So it doesn’t matter if its in a theme or a plugin, it’s destructive behavior.

20 posts
teamCrisis says

And why are some shortcodes allowed/disallowed, don’t all have to be plugins anyway? So you could create your own plugin for an accordion for example and require it. No? Does all of that stuff need to be transferred to a plugin to?

Why are some shortcodes allowed and others not? Because so are unintentionally destructive and others are not.

If a shortcode does anything to manipulate wptexturize or wpautop then it’s destructive and changes core WordPress behavior.

Here’s a great post that discusses why shortcodes such as column shortcodes, etc. are destructive and why they are not allowed under the new guidelines:

http://pippinsplugins.com/never-remove-the-default-the_content-filters-in-themes/ These shortcodes, such as the column shortcode, aren’t allowed be it in a theme or a plugin. Precisely because of the issues they cause as explained in the post I linked to above. It goes back to changing core WordPress behavior as it relates to content output and the wptexturize and wpautop behavior.

@carlhancock – maybe I don’t understand, but if you don’t recommend manipulating wpautop then how do you prevent stair stepping such as this: http://mysitemyway.com/support/topic/multiple-buttons-aligned-left-create-a-stair-step-layout

129 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
Cubell says

I’m really confused. Changing default Wordpress behaviour, such as manipulating the wpautop is obviously a massive no-no, as a theme developer I know that and I assumed it was already a requirement to not change them when submitting to themeforest.. But what has that got to do with shortcodes such as columns? Columns shortcodes should be nothing more than an easy way to wrap certain blocks of text (or other shortcodes) within HTML elements with a specific CSS class that make them be a certain width, I don’t see why anyone would change Wordpress behaviour inside the code to create a column shortcode. Am I missing something really obvious?

by
by
by
by
by
by