2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

I’ll have to ask Japh. Because a couple guidelines, such as not modifying wptexturize and wpautop behavior doesn’t matter if its in a theme or a plugin, it’s destructive either way. And some shortcodes such as the column and raw shortcodes do just that. So it doesn’t matter if its in a theme or a plugin, it’s destructive behavior.
The list of inadmissible shortcodes is not related the issue you mention because theme using noraw and/or messing with autop are not approved anymore (at least from 6 months now).

I don’t really see a rationale in that list. It should be all or nothing. Wanna enforce wp.org rules ? Fine, then no shortcode and no custom post type allowed in themes anymore.

90 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+5 more
Net-Labs says

Hell, I’m trying to keep updated on real info and i just read 20 pages of people peeing on each others shoes.

Is there a way that we can move the real news updates on the development of this to any thing else but this thread.

I’m trying to follow on updates but all the cleverness will have me chewing off my own arm in no time.

20 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 1 year
teamCrisis says

I’m really confused. Changing default Wordpress behaviour, such as manipulating the wpautop is obviously a massive no-no, as a theme developer I know that and I assumed it was already a requirement to not change them when submitting to themeforest.. But what has that got to do with shortcodes such as columns? Columns shortcodes should be nothing more than an easy way to wrap certain blocks of text (or other shortcodes) within HTML elements with a specific CSS class that make them be a certain width, I don’t see why anyone would change Wordpress behaviour inside the code to create a column shortcode. Am I missing something really obvious?

How do you suggest resolving this problem without ability to remove p or br? http://mysitemyway.com/support/topic/multiple-buttons-aligned-left-create-a-stair-step-layout

1476 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

Same goes for dealing with autop, it can be set to be used only on custom defined shortcodes and not globally.

I have yet to see a RAW or NOFORMAT shortcode to disable autop that didn’t have a global impact.

YES you can create a shortcode that content contained within it does not have autop applied to it.

But because of how you must implement the code necessary to do this, it changes the order in which functionality in WordPress is executed and while content within the shortcode does not have autop applied to it, it will now apply autop to ALL shortcode output.

By default WordPress dot not apply autop to shortcode output. S when this change is made it can cause proble s for plugins that don’t expect their shortcode output to have autop applied to it,

This is why the new guidelines specifically mention you can’t make modifications to WordPress core functionality related to wptexturize and wpautop. Precisely because of the issue I describe above.
No need for shortcode, take a look at this: https://gist.github.com/bitfade/4555047 by @bitfade

Regarding column shortocde, I really don’t understand why it needs to mess with filters for it’s functionality?

9 posts
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Dominican Republic
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
+1 more
oidoperfecto says

What happen if I working with preprocessors:

CSS: SASS, LESS, Stylus HTML: Jade, Haml, Slim, Markdown JavaScript: CoffeeScript

:S ?

49 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
carlhancock says

@carlhancock – maybe I don’t understand, but if you don’t recommend manipulating wpautop then how do you prevent stair stepping such as this: http://mysitemyway.com/support/topic/multiple-buttons-aligned-left-create-a-stair-step-layout

It’s not that I don’t recommend manipulating wpautop, it’s that you shouldn’t do it and it’s against ThemeForest guidelines to do so. It changes core WordPress behavior and can (and will) negatively impact plugins, etc.

It isn’t something a theme should do unless you have 100% control of the web site and fully understand the impact in implementing such a change will have. Something that you don’t have when you are selling a theme.

I wish I had a solution to how to do what you describe without manipulating wpautop, but off the top of my head I do not. But i’m sure there is a way around it without changing core WordPress behavior. Read Pippins article for a better explanation as to why you shouldn’t manipulate wpautop.

49 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
carlhancock says

I’m really confused. Changing default Wordpress behaviour, such as manipulating the wpautop is obviously a massive no-no, as a theme developer I know that and I assumed it was already a requirement to not change them when submitting to themeforest.. But what has that got to do with shortcodes such as columns? Columns shortcodes should be nothing more than an easy way to wrap certain blocks of text (or other shortcodes) within HTML elements with a specific CSS class that make them be a certain width, I don’t see why anyone would change Wordpress behaviour inside the code to create a column shortcode. Am I missing something really obvious?

It depends on how the column shortcode is implemented. There is a variety of ways. Another issue isn’t the column shortcode directly, it’s how the theme developer advises users to use it.

Because anything appearing within the column shortcodes is going to be auto-formatted, theme developers often pair it with the raw/noformat shortcode that manipulates wpautop so that auto-formatting is not applied.

This way they can implement columns and not run into issues with the auto-formatting causing issues with the column formatting due to the content the user places within the columns themselves.

Then there are others that implement the wpautop manipulation directly on the column shortcode so that auto-format is not applied to anything within the column shortcode.

Because WordPress auto-formatting that occurs when wpautop is applied can cause issues with columns, work arounds that involve manipulating wpautop are commonly used to combat it. And it does work. But unfortunately it has negative side effects that impact other things on the site such as plugins and shortcode output.

Read Pippin’s article on it for more info… and i’ll get him to chime in here with more details.

116 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
nagaemas says

@carlhancock – maybe I don’t understand, but if you don’t recommend manipulating wpautop then how do you prevent stair stepping such as this: http://mysitemyway.com/support/topic/multiple-buttons-aligned-left-create-a-stair-step-layout

It’s not that I don’t recommend manipulating wpautop, it’s that you shouldn’t do it and it’s against ThemeForest guidelines to do so. It changes core WordPress behavior and can (and will) negatively impact plugins, etc.

It isn’t something a theme should do unless you have 100% control of the web site and fully understand the impact in implementing such a change will have. Something that you don’t have when you are selling a theme.

I wish I had a solution to how to do what you describe without manipulating wpautop, but off the top of my head I do not. But i’m sure there is a way around it without changing core WordPress behavior. Read Pippins article for a better explanation as to why you shouldn’t manipulate wpautop.

@carlhancock Let’s not talk about the restrictions of shortcodes on ThemeForest, but is there anyway to fix the broken shortcodes caused by wpautop that you can think of without modifying wpautop and without using filters? Because the native shortcode_unautop is not very useful before they patch it :(

1476 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

@nagaemas did you check this: https://gist.github.com/bitfade/4555047

116 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+5 more
nagaemas says

@nagaemas did you check this: https://gist.github.com/bitfade/4555047

Yes I know about this, but I thought this is no longer allowed after this change? Correct me if I’m wrong ;)

by
by
by
by
by
by