55 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
bignet says

First of all, 3 weeks is a joke and even further grace period is a joke for existing themes. We simply needs MONTHS to apply these changes gradually.. like a few per update. “Inadmissible shortcodes” will not be allowed in “shortcode” plugins If that’s true do you know how buyers will react?

A+

55 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
bignet says

“Inadmissible shortcodes” will not be allowed in “shortcode” plugins If that’s true do you know how buyers will react?

That’s not what we said, so let’s assume it’s not what we meant ;)

These will be inadmissible in the theme. Shortcodes should be in plugins, not the theme itself, as much as possible.

Means theme will can’t allowed any shortcodes? Theme author will create a plugin with his shortcode?

Thanks.
I’m curious. If the user used my shortcode plugin with others theme, and it has issue, who will give the support?

1+

75 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 7-8 years
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
SimpleRain says

Love the standards, have a few questions:

1. I am designing a theme that utilizes some core code from the Roots theme, which utilizes a theme wrapper. Is that an issue? https://github.com/retlehs/roots/blob/master/doc/wrapper.md
  2. Along those lines, my theme even goes more into depth to utilize modules which override hooks in the roots wrapper. So are you telling me I have to rip all that out and make static template files instead?
  3. By limiting shortcodes so much you basically put companies like Kriesi and ThemeFusion in a world of hurt because their premium offering IS shortcodes. Come on…
  4. It seems like the shortcode option not only is to force developers to be more modular, but submit more to GraphicRiver
  5. With our shortcodes being a plugin, now more people can copy them as they’ll be in the WP directory? Is that the point?
  6. TimThumb is out, but what about something better like https://github.com/MatthewRuddy/Wordpress-Timthumb-alternative – Main features are Retina ready image preparation. Is that now off limits? (bad bad bad)
  7. What about features like multiple plugins on the widget page? Enfold has a great box class that does that. Is that now something he must release to all for the same functionality?

That’s all. The rest is good. Clean out the bad!

P.S. The limit, is that for themes being submitted, or themes already in? I’d love to release my theme this next week but if not… it’s going to be quite a bit longer to finish this. :(

438 posts WordPress Gurus!
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • United States
ThemeBeans says

I thought my themes were A-OK. Now Im just confused and concerned…

75 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Exclusive Author
  • United States
SimpleRain says

Oh, what if we kept those things not permisible in a plugin, but then craft our extra things or alterations within our theme? Basically we override the hooks and add the features we want, while having the core shortcode framework in a repo. Is that permissible?

548 posts Themes and Graphics
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Elite Author
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
+4 more
Bebel says

PHP
4. Tabs must be used for indentation—not spaces.
Where is this coming from – is it a WordPress standard? Because this goes against what the larger PHP community recommends as best practice, especially with the PSR standards ( https://github.com/php-fig/fig-standards/blob/master/accepted/PSR-2-coding-style-guide.md ). The problem with tabs is that different software programs and environments interpret them differently (as either 3 or 4 spaces), so it makes things harder if you are a version control for your code. Spaces are easier to work with as most code editors have an option to automatically turn tabs to spaces for you.

I completely agree. This is unnecessary. Big players in the php world like Zend and Symfony and many more use spaces.

As far as I can remember, only WordPress as a big contributor uses tabs.

I have learnt that optimal php code should not be longer than 80 characters per line. With tabs, this is very hard to achieve. I use 2 spaces per indent.

The other thing I am afraid of is having to rewrite all our past themes. This will lead to a massive clean up of the theme directory here on themeforest. It is just not justifiable to redo 2 year old themes that sell 2 – 5 times a month. They are all compatible to free wordpress plugins and the current version of wp – I think that should be enough.

Furthermore… Themes like our Event Guest List theme have a very specific set of functionality that can never be found in other themes. Almost all the functionality in this theme is theme-unique and is not used in other themes – it is a theme, customized for the best user experience in this very specific use case. I just can’t find any reason whatsoever why I should “pluginize” this one.
By the way, we already have a framework that is based on bundles (modules) that share code over most of our themes. While it would technically not be very hard to update the themes to share the same plugins, it is, as Kriesi mentioned, a huge step backwards in user experience. All our themes have different use cases and come with a different set of options. That is why you could build a plugin for every functionality you provide – but it is near to impossible to have only ONE repository to manage. This is not a trivial thing to do, and, in my opinion, will be the end for many amateur programers here on themeforest who are responsible for the wide range of creativity around. Experienced programers, especially elite authors with bigger teams will get another boost.

Really would love to read some feedback from the guys in charge here on monday.

114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
nagaemas says

Hi,

I just discovered about mu-plugins (must use plugins) for WP. This can be used if we need to integrate core functionality in our themes as the plugin will be automatically activated.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Must_Use_Plugins

I think this would be very beneficial for all authors after this change ;)

The question is, is this allowed for use here?

553 posts Fuel Your Web
  • Elite Author
  • Won a Competition
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Europe
Pirenko says

Hi,

I just discovered about mu-plugins (must use plugins) for WP. This can be used if we need to integrate core functionality in our themes as the plugin will be automatically activated.

They are suggesting http://tgmpluginactivation.com/ and it already has that option (I don’t know if it’s working perfectly). Anyway I think it’s better to display a notice so that users know they will be installing the plugin otherwise they might erase it in the future, because they don’t know where it came from.

114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
nagaemas says

Hi,

They are suggesting http://tgmpluginactivation.com/ and it already has that option (I don’t know if it’s working perfectly). Anyway I think it’s better to display a notice so that users know they will be installing the plugin otherwise they might erase it in the future, because they don’t know where it came from.

The thing is, mu-plugins can not be disabled, can not be deleted except from deleting it in the mu-plugins folder directly. Users can still change themes and maintain the functionality so it is basically the same as how we are now creating themes, but as a plugin that is automatically activated.

I’m not suggesting to put all features in the plugin, but just use the must use plugin to put the core functionality that is required for all ones themes, in other words the base framework :)

141 posts Designer & Developer
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
Webbu says

First of all, 3 weeks is a joke and even further grace period is a joke for existing themes. We simply needs MONTHS to apply these changes gradually.. like a few per update. “Inadmissible shortcodes” will not be allowed in “shortcode” plugins If that’s true do you know how buyers will react?
A+
+1
by
by
by
by
by
by