• Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Europe
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
+1 more
Smartik says

I’ve read first 40 pages, and haven’t seen a final answer regarding, custom post types, metaboxes, page builders, sidebar generators. Are we allowed to include any of these in our theme or not? Because is not possible to turn all these in plugins and use in all themes. Every theme has it’s destination, and for example, I can’t use the same metaboxes in a video theme and a church theme or use the same page builder elements.

Also if we must create custom post types from plugins, that means that we must to duplicate the code that we use.
For example:
Portfolio will not work without metaboxes, so I need 2 plugins because I need the same code for metaboxes on blog posts and pages. Now if I want to create a post type with a slider to show images uploaded in metaboxes, I must to clone the same code if I want to use a slider in blog posts as a post format.
This is just an example, but this is not the only, so as a conclusion here, by creating a plugin for each functionallity, we result in duplicating the same code.

Next. I saw that somebody said that is much easier to mantain and update a plugin than multiple themes, but, how would you update the plugin?
Method 1: Update each theme on Themeforest, upload a new .zip with the plugin updated. OK, not so easy, but with some instructions for our customers, in the end they will update it. and this is how we did for our themes.
Method 2: Host the plugin, on Bitbucket for example, in a private repository so the user can update it automatically. Easy, not? But, now everyone that got our plugin from a pirate site, will get updates for free. We make the life easier for pirates.

For shortodes, I agree, they must go in a plugin.

In the end, over all this, what worries me too much is that now everyone will be able to use parts of our theme as plugins. And use these plugins with themes created by someone else. So why would someone purchase more themes from us, if they have all the functionallity already. They can go now and download free themes and use use our plugins to create the site they want, plus they have free updates for our plugins. Hmm, this is awesome, for somebody, but not for me as theme developer.

612 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

+1 for @Smartik

This way theme prices should be like 100 dollars if the theme’s have multiple plugins for functionality. As an author i definitly would not like to see theme related plugins used in other sites etc.

20 posts
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
teamCrisis says

I’ve read first 40 pages, and haven’t seen a final answer regarding, custom post types, metaboxes, page builders, sidebar generators. Are we allowed to include any of these in our theme or not? Because is not possible to turn all these in plugins and use in all themes. Every theme has it’s destination, and for example, I can’t use the same metaboxes in a video theme and a church theme or use the same page builder elements.

Also if we must create custom post types from plugins, that means that we must to duplicate the code that we use.
For example:
Portfolio will not work without metaboxes, so I need 2 plugins because I need the same code for metaboxes on blog posts and pages. Now if I want to create a post type with a slider to show images uploaded in metaboxes, I must to clone the same code if I want to use a slider in blog posts as a post format.
This is just an example, but this is not the only, so as a conclusion here, by creating a plugin for each functionallity, we result in duplicating the same code.

Next. I saw that somebody said that is much easier to mantain and update a plugin than multiple themes, but, how would you update the plugin?
Method 1: Update each theme on Themeforest, upload a new .zip with the plugin updated. OK, not so easy, but with some instructions for our customers, in the end they will update it. and this is how we did for our themes.
Method 2: Host the plugin, on Bitbucket for example, in a private repository so the user can update it automatically. Easy, not? But, now everyone that got our plugin from a pirate site, will get updates for free. We make the life easier for pirates.

In the end, over all this, what worries me too much is that now everyone will be able to use parts of our theme as plugins. And use these plugins with themes created by someone else. So why would someone purchase more themes from us, if they have all the functionallity already. They can go now and download free themes and use use our plugins to create the site they want, plus they have free updates for our plugins. Hmm, this is awesome, for somebody, but not for me as theme developer.

I completely agree. Envato needs to very clearly state what needs to be made a plugin and what can remain in the theme. The way the current requirements are worded makes it sound like most functionality needs to be made portable. That would just be crazy.

We shouldn’t need to make core theme functionality like sidebar generators, portfolios and metaboxes portable. These things are core features that make that theme what it is. If a user wants to change to a new theme, it should be their responsibility to port over their site to that theme. We aren’t just selling themes for their look and feel. We are selling themes for the functionality that makes it special.

I do agree, however, that shortcodes should be in a plugin – but keep the css for those shortcodes within the theme core files.

529 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Estonia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
kriskorn says

Envato will answer all the questions on Monday/Tuesday. It is weekend right now and I haven’t seen them ever working on weekends. They yet again made such a huge update at the end of the week and now we, authors, should just be a little bit patient and wait.

All the best,
Kris

162 posts
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Europe
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
anariel7 says

+1

For example:

58 posts
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
StrictThemes says

Yeah, I guess we can start selling child thems and plugins for twentyeleven

Sadly, that’s true.

420 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • United Kingdom
Jaynesh says

Guys, please stop quoting long posts and simply adding “+1” to them. Let’s not make an already long thread, unnecessarily longer.

3 posts
aesti says

Guys, please stop quoting long posts and simply adding “+1” to them. Let’s not make an already long thread, unnecessarily longer.

+1

1715 posts Don't Worry, Be Happy
  • Beta Tester
  • Grew a moustache for the Envato Movember competition
  • Elite Author
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
+2 more
FinalDestiny says

aesti, so you signed up just to approve the above post? :D

5 posts
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
jpelker says

I wish the limiting of unruly options pages were mentioned in the new theme requirements. I’d love to see developers pushed to using (and extending) the built-in WordPress Customizer.

What would be especially useful is if the options themselves were standardized so extraneous content and styles could easily be ported from one theme to another.

Maybe some day…

by
by
by
by
by
by