1466 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

You’ll get a mess, for example Bootstrap columns on Twenty Eleven won’t fit in its main container as a row on Bootstrap is 1200px, the columns will overflow/vertically stacked.
Why don’t you use row-fluid?
114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
nagaemas says

You’ll get a mess, for example Bootstrap columns on Twenty Eleven won’t fit in its main container as a row on Bootstrap is 1200px, the columns will overflow/vertically stacked.

My theme has a static width, and that’s the point, not every user knows about row-fluid so it won’t be just switching themes to make the plugins portable.

6 posts
  • Canada
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
StyledThemes says

I’m about 50% done of moving my code into separate plugins, and as far as I can tell, the plugins will keep working when switching themes, but without any extensive coding knowledge, it’s impossible for users to get a nice, beautiful looking layout. You’ll get a mess, for example Bootstrap columns on Twenty Eleven won’t fit in its main container as a row on Bootstrap is 1200px, the columns will overflow/vertically stacked.

It will work with bootstrap’s container-fluid and row-fluid, but the problem is that you still have to provide the bootstrap css in a plugin form for the layout. Ultimately moving everything into plugins is going to be a mess if one has a lot to convert. Then of course, you mentioned what I said in an earlier post that if a customer/user switches themes with a plugin for in-page elements as shortcodes, and if the style of these need editing, they will have a very hard time. One of the reasons I am going to start doing pure html/css snippets for inline page elements that they can copy and paste into their new theme without the need of plugins. If they change themes, making changes will be a lot easier, albeit some work regardless…providing good detailed “how to” instructions is provided.

When it really comes down to it, and unless a customer/user has coding experience, anyone who needs something special in their page or post should always keep it simple and more generic while using html and css inline. Using plugins and/or shortcodes has the potential of being a mess should they change themes later in time.

24 posts Hey, We are Arbees
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
artbees says

I’m about 50% done of moving my code into separate plugins, and as far as I can tell, the plugins will keep working when switching themes, but without any extensive coding knowledge, it’s impossible for users to get a nice, beautiful looking layout. You’ll get a mess, for example Bootstrap columns on Twenty Eleven won’t fit in its main container as a row on Bootstrap is 1200px, the columns will overflow/vertically stacked. So no worries about users using the plugins on other themes, as of course there will be no documentation about the plugin API and the one who knows how to use it properly is only you!

I totally agree with you! Your mentioned problem and conflicts will be just the least of them. looking into the theory of making shortcodes as plugins is practical only in a closed frameworks like wordpress.com with its strict rules. not in a marketplace with many sort of varieties.

In TF we go out of all these rules because we are not only making a blog theme. business themes serve to many more needs than just a blog.

In fact TF authors do their best to make a great solution to fulfil buyers needs so they won’t get into changing their themes every 2 months (I mean they pay 50 bucks to change it?!)

I will submit my next theme in few days and I am not going to make them as a plugin since I have a page builder and all without each other combined will sense nothing at all. I did my best to fit my standards with all listed requirements, but again I am not going to do this to myself and my buyers.

I admit there should always be improvements in minimum criteria, but the list that envato team provided is ambiguous in some points. I guess many of authors mentioned them in this very long thread. I just hope we will not be thrown into something that looks ridiculous for most of us!!

1466 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Croatia
OriginalEXE says

My theme has a static width, and that’s the point, not every user knows about row-fluid so it won’t be just switching themes to make the plugins portable.

I understand but can’t you still use row-fluid?

It’s not like .row is deciding on your container width so switching it for row-fluid should change nothing.

66 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Exclusive Author
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+3 more
smartdatasoft says

I start my career from codecanyon and build my profile on themeforest . I am strongly agree with themeforest some standard which need to maintain. We have work many client and saw that many top selling theme use lots of bad code. Even they remove the default wp jquery . When new wordpress plugin active it conflict. People report us about our plugin. Some time they do not use wp_head or wp_footer to enque script. Which made problem . And lots of inconsistent code.

But cpt and admin panel and short code switch to plugin may be good idea but it will totally difficult for those people who work with different designer to build good theme.

It need to be clear article from tf so that author can adapt this easily. Nothing to say more. I am also worried how to adapt my new theme which is done 100% :(

24 posts Hey, We are Arbees
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
artbees says

I notice that in the Theme Check plugin when running tests, it displays that it is REQUIRED for add_theme_page() to be used in place of add_menu_page().

I’m not understanding why add_menu_page() is REQUIRED instead of RECOMMENDED? Since add_menu_page() adds a top level menu item, whereas add_theme_page() only adds a submenu under the Appearance top level menu. Why does the Theme Check plugin have this as REQUIRED instead of RECOMMENDED, when WordPress Codex has that method available for wp developers to use? And the various themes sold on ThemeForest have top level menu items to group and organize their option page menus for usability to the end user.

If my admin options I’m making for a theme have many option pages, I want to group my theme pages together under my own top level menu item. It will be very impractical to use add_theme_page(), which would make all my option pages submenus under the Appearance menu. I want to group my option pages together so the end user doesn’t get confused when using my theme and navigating the backend which is a usability issue! That is why i would use add_menu_page().

Anyone else seeing this error thrown in the Theme Check plugin? And think that it should be RECOMMENDED instead of REQUIRED?

I emailed Enavto Support regarding this issue with the Theme Check plugin, and will post if I receive an answer.

thanks!

Absolutely!!

If wordpress does not let developers use top level menu then where is the scalability of wordpress we all talking about? why all of my pages should go under appearance?

Do you know why theme check gives this error? because its configured for wordpress.com where you cant do much. they have this and that rules for their own…

114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
nagaemas says

When it really comes down to it, and unless a customer/user has coding experience, anyone who needs something special in their page or post should always keep it simple and more generic while using html and css inline. Using plugins and/or shortcodes has the potential of being a mess should they change themes later in time.

Plugin assets can be easily disabled using filters on the theme that supports the plugin, and unless users know about the plugin API, they can’t just use the plugins out of the box.

Like what @artbees said, our plugins will not be used widely as the plugins in the Wordpress public repository, our plugins are created only for the themes we create so it doesn’t matter whether it works perfectly or not on other themes that doesn’t support the plugin. We create themes, we support our plugin in our themes, and that’s what counts.

The only thing Envato wants is that we provide high quality, modular code that follows Wordpress best practice behind our themes. This way we fulfill that requirement, and it would be easy to build future themes with our set of plugins in hand :)

114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
nagaemas says

I understand but can’t you still use row-fluid?

It’s not like .row is deciding on your container width so switching it for row-fluid should change nothing.

You’re right, totally forgot about it! It’s the container that determines the width ;)

IndustrialThemes
IndustrialThemes Recent Posts Threads Started
141 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • United States
+1 more
IndustrialThemes says

I have built an extensive framework that adds an interface in the theme options that allows users to create minisites. The minisites are built using custom post types. What that means is, my themes enable the user to create an unlimited number of custom post types which are named by the user. This is a huge seller and does not exist anywhere else as far as I know, and it is not based on shortcodes – it is core theme functionality. When my users switch to different themes they can easily convert the post types of all of their posts back to standard posts using the Convert Post Types plugin, and users all so far have been totally fine with this method.

I’m having trouble interpreting the new theme requirements in my scenario. Can a staff member weigh in on whether or not my framework jives with the new requirements or has become completely null and voided? Thanks!

by
by
by
by
by
by