33 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
JonnyShogun says

I have to tell that I’m strict agains this rulle “No inline styles are allowed any where.”.

I think they mean you can’t have any inline styles on the source code before it runs in the browser. Javascript/jQuery and DOM scripting will manipulate the DOM and add inline styles when performing various tasks to do whatever your changing. For example.. for showing and hiding elements, inline styles of display:block and display:none will be applied on the style attribute of the tag your showing and hiding.

So I believe that they don’t what inline styles all over your source code, which is understandable so your source code keeps with standards and readability.

148 posts
  • Located in Czech Republic
Itachicz says

I have to tell that I’m strict agains this rulle “No inline styles are allowed any where.”.

I think they mean you can’t have any inline styles on the source code before it runs in the browser. Javascript/jQuery and DOM scripting will manipulate the DOM and add inline styles when performing various tasks to do whatever your changing. For example.. for showing and hiding elements, inline styles of display:block and display:none will be applied on the style attribute of the tag your showing and hiding.

So I believe that they don’t what inline styles all over your source code, which is understandable so your source code keeps with standards and readability.

Thank you that you, that you assured me in this :) In this case it wouldn’t be problem :) As you said jquery manipulate with inline styles too so it would be ridiculous to forbid all inline styles :)

Thank you for your oppinion

2 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in Spain
rodz says

ZOMG, huge step for ThemeForest!

Proper enqueue of jQuery is a must. I can’t count the number of times where I wanted to physically attack* theme authors for the bugs they caused.
(*please, NSA, I don’t have the means nor the will to do this, it’s a joke, ok?)

Haven’t read all this thread, but I’d like to suggest a “Certified” stamp of some sort for the themes which passed the requirements.

Long life to all TF creative bunch :)

108 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
designedbydash says

ZOMG, huge step for ThemeForest! Haven’t read all this thread, but I’d like to suggest a “Certified” stamp of some sort for the themes which passed the requirements.

All new themes (and eventually all TF WP themes) must adhere to the rules, so the stamp would be fairly pointless :)

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

Reading through the guidelines they don’t seem all that bad, most developers including myself have been following 95% of them for sometime. However the one point I’m not a fan of is having to use index.php for just a standard blog template or the same as archive.php and having to create a custom page template for my homepage.

I prefer using index.php as its plug and play there’s no need to give the buyer extra instructions on assigning the front page to use a specific template. This might work for simple blog style themes but for anything more whats the point in forcing us to use a custom page template when the theme isn’t meant for simple use.

1599 posts Chris Robinson
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+10 more
contempoinc says

[continued]

Its not that big of a deal its just more duplicated code and instructions and most likely more emails and tickets on my support site “My homepage is broken…”

1 post
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
luxubux says

I am completely against not having theme developers use short codes. If you need to install plugins for all these short codes. ( like the beautiful vertical tabs in the Enfold theme), your site is getting extremely slow, not to mention that it will be a lot of work to style everything nicely. And conflicts. lots of them.

731 posts
  • Has referred 500+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
+7 more
mordauk says

I am completely against not having theme developers use short codes. If you need to install plugins for all these short codes. ( like the beautiful vertical tabs in the Enfold theme), your site is getting extremely slow, not to mention that it will be a lot of work to style everything nicely. And conflicts. lots of them.

Plugins in no way affect the speed of your site. You can literally have 200 plugins and your site will run at the exact same speed.

It is only the quality of code and what the code is doing inside of the plugins that affects site speed.

Whether features exist in a plugin or in a theme, the performance impact is identical.

33 posts
JonnyShogun says

I don’t see the purpose of having only certain shortcodes being made into wp plugin. And like other people have said on this post. All it will do is allow other developers and users to mish-mosh .. mix and match your plugins and make a Mr Potato theme out of all your hard work.

Whats gonna stop other authors or users from using your plugins in their own themes, and then you get no compensation ???

79 posts Vibe
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
+2 more
VibeThemes says

It is only the quality of code and what the code is doing inside of the plugins that affects site speed. Whether features exist in a plugin or in a theme, the performance impact is identical.

+1

Another question : If I strip out the functionality in my theme into separate plugins, do these plugins require to be standalone ? Do I need to strip the CSS/JS along with the plugin ?

For example: If I strip my whole Shortcode Generator as a plugin, now the tabs CSS is placed in the main stylesheet, do I need to strip that out of CSS and create a separate css in plugin and enqueue it.

by
by
by
by
by
by