10 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • United States
georgestephanis says

I prefer using index.php as its plug and play there’s no need to give the buyer extra instructions on assigning the front page to use a specific template. This might work for simple blog style themes but for anything more whats the point in forcing us to use a custom page template when the theme isn’t meant for simple use.

That’s what front-page.php is for. index.php is meant to be your blog page.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Hierarchy#Home_Page_display
10 posts
  • United States
georgestephanis says

I don’t see the purpose of having only certain shortcodes being made into wp plugin. And like other people have said on this post. All it will do is allow other developers and users to mish-mosh .. mix and match your plugins and make a Mr Potato theme out of all your hard work. Whats gonna stop other authors or users from using your plugins in their own themes, and then you get no compensation ???

The fact that you license your bundled plugin with the same license as your theme? As such, they couldn’t use it any more easily than if they just copied the code out of your theme.

10 posts
  • United States
georgestephanis says

Another question : If I strip out the functionality in my theme into separate plugins, do these plugins require to be standalone ? Do I need to strip the CSS/JS along with the plugin ?

For example: If I strip my whole Shortcode Generator as a plugin, now the tabs CSS is placed in the main stylesheet, do I need to strip that out of CSS and create a separate css in plugin and enqueue it.

I don’t think so … the point of the abstraction is so that the content doesn’t entirely go away if the user changes themes. If some styling needs to be redone, no biggie,

13 posts
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
atteam says

As buyer, i disagree that the following shortcode is disallowed:
accordions and toggles
boxed contents
column
These shortcodes make things a lot easier!

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

Hi everyone!

Just a quick update to let you know that we’re working on an update to the requirements based on your feedback at the moment, and will be posting that here on the forums this week.

The update will include some concessions, some clarifications, some exemptions, and some examples.

Unless you have a new question that hasn’t been covered in the existing ~633 replies, if you wouldn’t mind holding off on posting til we post the updates, that’d save everyone some time :)

Thanks for all your feedback and your patience.

114 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
nagaemas says

Hi everyone!

Just a quick update to let you know that we’re working on an update to the requirements based on your feedback at the moment, and will be posting that here on the forums this week.

The update will include some concessions, some clarifications, some exemptions, and some examples.

Unless you have a new question that hasn’t been covered in the existing ~633 replies, if you wouldn’t mind holding off on posting til we post the updates, that’d save everyone some time :)

Thanks for all your feedback and your patience.

Thanks!

Can’t wait to see the revisions :)

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

I did not read all the pages, but what you are saying is that we have to remake the structures in old themes. Are you serious? We will end up having to recreate themes from scratch because they do not follow this guidelines, and better up just closing the account and starting another. What is this?

306 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • United States
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
brainbuzzmedia says

I did not read all the pages, but what you are saying is that we have to remake the structures in old themes. Are you serious? We will end up having to recreate themes from scratch because they do not follow this guidelines, and better up just closing the account and starting another. What is this?

This is exactly what I wanted some clarification about. My themes have things like:

- my custom made page builder on pages/posts with a ton of elements
- portfolio with filter
- custom post types
- customized premium sliders
- custom widgets

What do I do with all of this? Do I need to create a plugin for anything that wouldn’t directly translate into the default 2013 wordpress theme?

For themes that gradually get a few sales here and there how are we supposed to spend this much time completely re-doing them? Themes that aren’t on the weekly top sales list already receive virtually no benefit from being updated as even if we completely re-vamped them they would get zero exposure and no one would know about the new features except those who already purchased it.

This is forcing us to spend a fairly huge amount of time in exchange for no compensation. Why wouldn’t I just go back to a day job? It’s like you’re trying to emphasize how uncertain taking the self employed route can possibly be.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

@duotive and @brainbuzzmedia, please read my last post two posts above yours.

There’s an update coming soon, and your questions have been asked (and partially addressed) much earlier in this thread.

3007 posts
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Elite Author
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
+2 more
duotive says

In the update please make clear if we are allowed to create database tables to use with the theme and if functionality like the slideshow management should be moved to a plugin.

by
by
by
by
by
by