10 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 5 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
georgestephanis says

Now, i agree that this sort of thing should be in a plugin.

But just to let you know, that there could be plenty of reasons to put things in separate tables. Specially if you want ‘good practice’.

So … yup. Do it as a plugin, then bundle the plugin with the theme and require the user to activate it with TGM Plugin Activation so the reviews don’t completely disappear if the customer changes themes on their site.

There’s no restriction on bundled plugins using custom tables, to the best of my knowledge (not that it’s necessarily beneficial, merely permissible)—just that your theme probably shouldn’t, as that’s data that any future theme the user switches to wouldn’t be able to use.

148 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $40,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
+4 more
BonfireThemes says

I hope you’re not starting a trend too ;)

I’ve read every single post in this thread, so it’s safe to assume I’ve seen your question. If it’s not answered in the update when posted, you’re welcome to ask me again then.

Fingers crossed then :) Cheers.

180 posts Enjoy!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
XanderRock says

Since Japh is here, I can ask this.

Why are we moving features into plugins? All of the good sides and bad sides has been discussed already but I’m asking the main reason of this change. I know Wordpress also moved post-types feature to external plugin (Wordpress 3.6 Beta). The changes here also related to that?

Is there something that we are missing? Is there a plan from WP.org that will make some big changes to Wordpress?

I’ve got one question and one request ;

Question :
Are we moving features into the plugins to add a activate/deactivate option? If so, we can all add a button for our features to deactivate them. Because if we keep features in theme folder we can still update everything with theme update. No extra plugin update needed

Request :
Can we have a yearly Envato Roadmap page. That way everyone can see what is coming before they start coding. And we would be ready for the changes and changes can be adjusted according to demand.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Question :
Are we moving features into the plugins to add a activate/deactivate option? If so, we can all add a button for our features to deactivate them. Because if we keep features in theme folder we can still update everything with theme update. No extra plugin update needed

As it’s already been asked numerous times throughout the thread, this will be answered in the update.

Request :
Can we have a yearly Envato Roadmap page. That way everyone can see what is coming before they start coding. And we would be ready for the changes and changes can be adjusted according to demand.

At the moment, as far as I know, this is what we have so far in this regard: http://notes.envato.com/news/an-update-from-your-envato-marketplaces-team/

180 posts Enjoy!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+6 more
XanderRock says

Question :

As it’s already been asked numerous times throughout the thread, this will be answered in the update.

Request :
At the moment, as far as I know, this is what we have so far in this regard: http://notes.envato.com/news/an-update-from-your-envato-marketplaces-team/

Thanks Japh. But I didn’t mention blog posts. I mentioned a page that will show all the changes plan yearly. Just like Adobe did here

http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html

The time amount for the Adobe is longer ofcourse. But a yearly roadmap for envato would do just fine I think

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Thanks Japh. But I didn’t mention blog posts. I mentioned a page that will show all the changes plan yearly. Just like Adobe did here http://www.adobe.com/devnet/flashplatform/whitepapers/roadmap.html The time amount for the Adobe is longer ofcourse. But a yearly roadmap for envato would do just fine I think

Yeah, I know what you were referring to, and it’s a good idea :)

The video is what we have for the moment until we have something such as Adobe have there.

15 posts
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Slovakia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
PeterOravec says

Now I’m, days / weeks before I submit my first WP theme to themeforest after one year of developement and now im really scary if I can fit to all requirements. :| Standards are good step but “dont be evil Envato” !

366 posts WordPress Guy
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

Now I’m, days / weeks before I submit my first WP theme to themeforest after one year of developement and now im really scary if I can fit to all requirements. :| Standards are good step but “dont be evil Envato” !

Congratulations on your work, Peter! Go ahead and submit it :)

There’s nothing evil in these new requirements, particularly once we post an update shortly.

200 posts
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Attended one of our Meetups around the world
+4 more
themeva says

You are not allowed to include absolutely any plugins in the theme. But you can create your own version and give that to buyers.. And you can include all shortcodes with that..
Actually, we haven’t said you can’t include any plugins with your theme.

I really need some clarification on this, I bundle the Visual Composer plugin with my Themes too and have modified it in areas.

I understand that you can use TGM Plugin Activation – but if you’ve purchased an extended license, the user does not have access to the new version of the plugin file, making it extremely difficult for the user to update.

Since this change is about improving the user experience, how does that even workout, given that they now have to update the theme and plugins individually and there is no easy method for doing so?

954 posts
  • Has sold $1,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+3 more
aleluja says

Envatos plugin repository would’ve been a solution for that.

by
by
by
by
by
by