16 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
ThemeClever says

Man, I was JUST about to release my first theme here too. Having read this WHOLE thread I am confused beyond belief to say the least. The coding standards part I am OK with. But let me get this right… even if I create custom post types they have to be in a plugin???? And to use an options panel such as SMOF I should turn that into a plugin too? Why, since many of the options will not be suited to any future theme?

Dear Envato – there is a very simple solution to all of this chaos and that is an example please.

15 posts
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Located in Slovakia
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
PeterOravec says
I understand that you can use TGM Plugin Activation – but if you’ve purchased an extended license, the user does not have access to the new version of the plugin file, making it extremely difficult for the user to update.

This is true, now I must solve this problem… i use TGM for Visual Composer but it wants to update. Now what… update link goes to purchase page.

117 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
nagaemas says

Man, I was JUST about to release my first theme here too. Having read this WHOLE thread I am confused beyond belief to say the least. The coding standards part I am OK with. But let me get this right… even if I create custom post types they have to be in a plugin???? And to use an options panel such as SMOF I should turn that into a plugin too? Why, since many of the options will not be suited to any future theme? Dear Envato – there is a very simple solution to all of this chaos and that is an example please.

Just wait until a revision of the requirements is posted, then we’ll know what to do next.

Actualy you’re allowed to use SMOF, see page 2 of this thread where you can see Japh’s reply about that ;)

3007 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has referred 200+ members
  • Has sold $250,000+ on Envato Market
  • Had an item featured in an Envato Bundle
+7 more
duotive says

Ok, lets say we are using a custom post type called slide with the taxonomy slideshow. How you you order the slides in a particalar slideshow aka order custom post types for a particular term in a taxonomy? And not all of them at once. Also how do you add extra fields for customisation for the slideshows, aka add custom fields for taxonomies. If you have tutorials or ideas on this i can say that CPT are for us too. Give us an idea?

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

Also a little question – update option saves values for every website in a multisite or you have to manage that too? It does, dosen’t it?

3247 posts
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
+1 more
organicbee says

Ok, lets say we are using a custom post type called slide with the taxonomy slideshow. How you you order the slides in a particalar slideshow aka order custom post types for a particular term in a taxonomy? And not all of them at once. Also how do you add extra fields for customisation for the slideshows, aka add custom fields for taxonomies. If you have tutorials or ideas on this i can say that CPT are for us too. Give us an idea?

you’d order them using WP_query same as posts ( I think this is what youre asking ).

tax custom fields http://pippinsplugins.com/adding-custom-meta-fields-to-taxonomies/

3247 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

Also a little question – update option saves values for every website in a multisite or you have to manage that too? It does, dosen’t it?

For MS see

3007 posts
+7 more
duotive says

Thanks for the metafileds for the taxonomies. I had no idea of that tutorial :) For the order i mean drag and drop order and not the query order. Also thanks for the second link. Good info if i really need to use update_option :)

3247 posts
+1 more
organicbee says

Thanks for the metafileds for the taxonomies. I had no idea of that tutorial :) For the order i mean drag and drop order and not the query order. Also thanks for the second link. Good info if i really need to use update_option :)

Its possible by adding the page attributes to the CPT “supports” plus setting the “hierarchical” to true so you can set the menu order(then youd query by menu order) but not sure if theres a tutorial on it and making it drag and drop on the admin side is a little more complex

2002 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Its possible by adding the page attributes to the CPT “supports” plus setting the “hierarchical” to true so you can set the menu order(then youd query by menu order) but not sure if theres a tutorial on it and making it drag and drop on the admin side is a little more complex

menu_order is a wp_posts field, meaning each post can only store a single value which isn’t enough in a scenario where the same post could be assinged multiple terms with a different custom order each time.

Using wp_term_relationships.term_order would be a better choice.

by
by
by
by
by
by