97 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Has sold $750,000+ on Envato Market
+5 more
2winFactor says

It would be hard to standardize CPT, however, you’re never stuck with them. Maybe a little off-topic, but there’s a great plugin out there that lets you transfer post types if you ever happen to switch themes. Great for individual posts or bulk.

http://wordpress.org/plugins/post-type-switcher/

This is by no means an ideal solution but a great short term one that’s worked for me in the past.

Cheers,

Andre

434 posts
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
+6 more
Jaynesh says

Naming your functions ( in a proper way ofcourse ) and post types should always be left free for everyone. CPT naming has nothing to do with good theme compatibility for plugin based options and features. If i call a CPT ‘portfolio’ or ‘mygreatpcptxue’, the plugin still has to work perfectly on different themes.

You’ve missed the point entirely. If one theme has a CPT called ‘portfolio’ and another theme has a CPT called ‘awesome_portfolio’, you won’t be able to access the previous themes CPT data. If the theme has a custom loop that pulls data from ‘portfolio’ how will it access the data from ‘awesome_portfolio’? You can’t magically make a CPT compatible with another theme. Yes, you will be able to read the data in the dashboard but what else can you do with it? You would now have to use the new CPT plugin which has come with your newly installed theme.

If all themes CPT name is ‘portfolio’ the data will be accessible from any theme, providing it has a portfolio feature.

Why should an author have to make his CPT plugin compatible with every other theme?
If every theme needs to have its own CPT plugins and then also needs to be compatible with every other theme, why not just have one universal CPT plugin which every author can just attach to their theme? The answer is, you can’t because each one will be different.

624 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

Naming your functions ( in a proper way ofcourse ) and post types should always be left free for everyone. CPT naming has nothing to do with good theme compatibility for plugin based options and features. If i call a CPT ‘portfolio’ or ‘mygreatpcptxue’, the plugin still has to work perfectly on different themes.

You’ve missed the point entirely. If one theme has a CPT called ‘portfolio’ and another theme has a CPT called ‘awesome_portfolio’, you won’t be able to access the previous themes CPT data. If the theme has a custom loop that pulls data from ‘portfolio’ how will it access the data from ‘awesome_portfolio’? You can’t magically make a CPT compatible with another theme. Yes, you will be able to read the data in the dashboard but what else can you do with it? You would now have to use the new CPT plugin which has come with your newly installed theme.

If all themes CPT name is ‘portfolio’ the data will be accessible from any theme, providing it has a portfolio feature.

Why should an author have to make his CPT plugin compatible with every other theme?
If every theme needs to have its own CPT plugins and then also needs to be compatible with every other theme, why not just have one universal CPT plugin which every author can just attach to their theme? The answer is, you can’t because each one will be different.

No, you missed the point.

If this portfolio function is a plugin, i can make it compatible with ANY theme, even if i call my CPT ‘lsdkjfslkdfjsdlkfjsdlfkjsd’. A plugin can provide functions like shortcodes to proper display the portfolio in any theme!

Don’t want to use shortcodes? First: why not? But second : you can also create and dynamically include templates which can come with the plugin. Hell you can even define functions for people to use directly inside templates.

Either way, you can make it work no matter what the CPT names are. In fact, creating a solution to use some global namings for certain CPT might be the poorest solution to the compatibility problem. What about different portfolios with different options?

Now one of THE biggest points of these new requirements IS putting features like the above in a plugin, so you don’t have the problem as you describe it.

Edit extra:

Also, plugins created to come with themes here on themeforest shouldn’t be portable for every theme. Authors have a business to run, otherwise you’re throwing rocks through your own windows.

558 posts
  • Had an item featured in a magazine
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+17 more
theMOLITOR says

New PleaseAdvise show today with Japh at 3pm PST. Topic will be “What the hell, Japh?!” http://pleaseadvise.fm

Skype us DURING THE SHOW by calling “pleaseadvise.fm”

1477 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

New PleaseAdvise show today with Japh at 3pm PST. Topic will be “What the hell, Japh?!” http://pleaseadvise.fm Skype us DURING THE SHOW by calling “pleaseadvise.fm”
Finally! Thanks!
5 posts
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Located in United Kingdom
+1 more
Barn2Media says

Edit extra: Also, plugins created to come with themes here on themeforest shouldn’t be portable for every theme. Authors have a business to run, otherwise you’re throwing rocks through your own windows.

Agreed.

To be more precise, your theme-bundled plugins cannot and should not be used with other themes on Themeforest (apart from other themes by the same author of course) as it would break the terms of the license. The ‘Item’ as descibed in the license covers the theme AND its plugins together, and not one single component can be re-used on its own (see clause 9 in the regular license). I think the license issues are being forgotten here in these discussions.

116 posts
  • Has referred 50+ members
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+5 more
nagaemas says

Edit extra: Also, plugins created to come with themes here on themeforest shouldn’t be portable for every theme. Authors have a business to run, otherwise you’re throwing rocks through your own windows.

Agreed.

To be more precise, your theme-bundled plugins cannot and should not be used with other themes on Themeforest (apart from other themes by the same author of course) as it would break the terms of the license. The ‘Item’ as descibed in the license covers the theme AND its plugins together, and not one single component can be re-used on its own (see clause 9 in the regular license). I think the license issues are being forgotten here in these discussions.

+1

49 posts creative.performance
+5 more
mediacreed says

I have followed this post, and honestly i find the theme + plugin method very risky. A question for staff:

What will stop a buyer to reuse the plugin’s we create for a certain theme into another?

Does anyone think that buyers will consider that clause 9 in regular license forbids that? I think that is rubbish as you can’t verify a buyer to see if that clause is respected.

Even now, there are users that buy a theme and use it 3 or 4 times without buying additional regular license.

My two cents, consider very carefully the steps you take with the changes you want, cause my guess is you will see the effect on the market sales. ( hopefully this will not affect us too much and not on long term, but i am sure it will do damages )

Cheers,
Mediacreed

2002 posts
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
+9 more
bitfade says

Ok so, according to clause 9 of the regular license, if theme+plugin = single TF item, once buyers switch theme, they will be required to uninstall the plugin as well ?

The above would also apply to different themes from the same author (because different items)

97 posts
  • Located in United States
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
+5 more
2winFactor says

I have followed this post, and honestly i find the theme + plugin method very risky. A question for staff:
What will stop a buyer to reuse the plugin’s we create for a certain theme into another?

If the plugin is the only thing that differentiates your theme, then maybe you should just make a plugin instead of a theme.

Having a plugin (for shortcodes for instance) is best for the customer. It also adds tremendous value to your product. Personally, I would love if they kept using the shortcodes plugin even after they switched themes. It really adds value to any themes I sell. The customer has peace of mind knowing that if they ever (inevitably) wanted to switch themes, they wouldn’t have to strip out a bunch of non-working shortcodes or start from scratch.

Andre

by
by
by
by
by
by