FirestormGraphics
FirestormGraphics Recent Posts Threads Started
38 posts
  • Has collected 1+ items on Envato Market
  • Located in United Kingdom
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
FirestormGraphics says

Can anybody help to explain then, if we have to use plugins for functionality, what happens to a wordpress install when you have a large qty of plugins, i.e 20 or more ? it slows it down, right?

what about, for example a theme author is using the visual composer plugin ?

what about wordpress default visual theme customiser and theme options pages that reply on inline styles ? a styles.php would have to be used correct?

i dont think these new quidelines have been thought out carefully .

Looks to me we are all REQUIRED to go the way of the woo. :)

108 posts
  • Has referred 1+ members
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been a beta tester for an Envato feature
+4 more
designedbydash says

I know Japh said it would be a few days, but just wondering if we have a more concrete date/time for the final confirmed requirements?

It’s now starting to hold back the development of a new theme we’re working on as I don’t particularly want to do it one way, and then have to change it all to adhere to the new requirements.

366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Has sold $100+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 50+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+5 more
Japh Envato team says

I know Japh said it would be a few days, but just wondering if we have a more concrete date/time for the final confirmed requirements? It’s now starting to hold back the development of a new theme we’re working on as I don’t particularly want to do it one way, and then have to change it all to adhere to the new requirements.

Thanks for your patience, sorry it’s taking longer than expected. As Jarel, our review manager, posted a couple of days ago, we’re still pulling everything together for the update, but it really won’t be long now. I would imagine early this week.

180 posts Enjoy!
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
XanderRock says

I’ve listened the radio show a few days ago. Couldn’t listen from the beginning but there were a discussion about shortcodes. The problem was when a user switches to another theme, all of the shortcodes of the old theme will be garbage. Nonsense texts. I was keep asking the main reason of these changes. If this is the main reason of the shortcode changes. I’ve got this idea ;

How about, if we make a shortcode list. That all of the authors will be using the same shortcode with same attributes. For example a map shortcode could be something like ;

[googlamap lat="" long="" type="" zoom="" scroll="" width="" height=""]

If the reason of the changes is to keep the user based content, then user will be able to use his/her content with the new theme with different style. But ofcourse these shortcodes must be organized very well. I’m sure I’m missing a few more attributes on this example map shortcode. But with a good research we can have a shortcode list that will be useful for everyone.

1485 posts
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Made it to the Authors' Hall of Fame
+3 more
OriginalEXE says

I’ve listened the radio show a few days ago. Couldn’t listen from the beginning but there were a discussion about shortcodes. The problem was when a user switches to another theme, all of the shortcodes of the old theme will be garbage. Nonsense texts. I was keep asking the main reason of these changes. If this is the main reason of the shortcode changes. I’ve got this idea ;

How about, if we make a shortcode list. That all of the authors will be using the same shortcode with same attributes. For example a map shortcode could be something like ;

If the reason of the changes is to keep the user based content, then user will be able to use his/her content with the new theme with different style. But ofcourse these shortcodes must be organized very well. I’m sure I’m missing a few more attributes on this example map shortcode. But with a good research we can have a shortcode list that will be useful for everyone.
I’m all for standarization but stuff like this is not a good idea.

1.) You limit everyone to the same list of shortcodes 2.) You are making everyone (even those that don’t use shortocdes in their themes) to support those shortocdes 3.) You can’t affect marketplaces other than TF

180 posts Enjoy!
  • Has sold $75,000+ on Envato Market and is now an Elite Author
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
  • Won a Most Wanted contest
+6 more
XanderRock says

I’m all for standarization but stuff like this is not a good idea. 1.) You limit everyone to the same list of shortcodes 2.) You are making everyone (even those that don’t use shortocdes in their themes) to support those shortocdes 3.) You can’t affect marketplaces other than TF

1 – But we are also saving the buyers. And there is no limit, just standardized shortcodes
2 – Most of the users are already using them in their themes with different names and attributes
3 – That is the biggest impact. If a user bought a theme from TF, then they will be buying again from TF to keep their content

627 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

I’m all for standarization but stuff like this is not a good idea. 1.) You limit everyone to the same list of shortcodes 2.) You are making everyone (even those that don’t use shortocdes in their themes) to support those shortocdes 3.) You can’t affect marketplaces other than TF
1 – But we are also saving the buyers. And there is no limit, just standardized shortcodes
2 – Most of the users are already using them in their themes with different names and attributes
3 – That is the biggest impact. If a user bought a theme from TF, then they will be buying again from TF to keep their content

This is not possible with all the different attributes. I want to put in my own options and sure as hell want to put in options to compete against other authors.

This is just never ever gonna work. Not for stuff on a market place

93 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 2 years
  • Located in Europe
+3 more
aligatorstudio says
Couple of things regarding reviewers team (RT further on) – my opinion:
  1. I believe that, since lately there is substantial increase of new authors, RT are trying to find “legal” ways to filter the authors, counting that, because of some rules (some ridiculous, as it seem to me) authors will give up and reduce new submits. Problem is – they’ll lose some good authors in that process, too … In longer terms, that may be not so good policy…
  2. Theme forest (or Envato) is trying to follow Wordpress.org guidelines, and not to provoke any eventual legal problems with them, which is evident in that GPL licence dispute and introducing the full-GPL licencing possibility. These new submission requirements are step closer to WP.policies.
  3. Since lot of authors complained about constant changing of requirements for WP themes (no Timthumb, etc.) it’s good to have all those rules in one place. Hopefully the RT will display notes about new rules and updates in future.
Off course, this all may be good in the end, if RT will listen authors and adapt some rules. To me, some rules are, let’s say – “strange”:
  • Inadmissible shortcodes (especially columns – why ?? – this is formatting content which was allowed ?)
  • no inline styles – inline styles are perfectly valid
  • no theme options post numbers - (? if you have 5 different blog templates, custom post types …)

But, this announcement is, all in all a good thing – finally all the rules in one place :)

49 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
carlhancock says

This is not possible with all the different attributes. I want to put in my own options and sure as hell want to put in options to compete against other authors. This is just never ever gonna work. Not for stuff on a market place

It’s 100% possible to standardize a base set of shortcodes into a standard ThemeForest plugin with standard base styles specifically for theme authors all to use so that there aren’t 100 different implementations of the same thing.

If it also possible to then use CSS for the theme to customize the look of the shortcode output by overriding and applying additional styles to the standardized output.

Now the good part.

It’s also possible through the magic of these things called hooks and filters to make shortcodes that would support a theme adding additional options.

A WordPress developer with even knowledge about WordPress development to sell themes and plugins to the public would know this. And this is one of the major problems with ThemeForest.

Too many people hacking together themes that look beautiful and shiny on the outside but are a muddled, copy-n-pasted, and completed wrecked under the hood because they really don’t know what they are doing. Most of you are front end developers. You don’t know what’s going on under the hood and it shows. Believe me, it shows.

This is why ThemeForest is implementing these guidelines. You guys put yourself in this position.

I applaud Envato and ThemeForest for tightening the reigns. The entire WordPress development community applauds it and it’s time for the ThemeForest Theme Authors to understand why they are necessary and embrace them. If nothing else you’re going to learn a lot you didn’t already know because you are going to need to in order to meet the guidelines.

by
by
by
by
by
by