• Tunisia
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
vamospace says

Yes, the shortcode should be a part of the theme, not as a plugin.

+1

326 posts
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Portugal
vtimbuc says

All shortcodes should be banned from themes. If you want to include them, provide them as a separate plugin. Useless customization options should not be available too, example: “+1000 fonts to select from”. What I hate on themeforest themes is all the useless crap that authors include on it.

24 posts Hey, We are Arbees
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
artbees says

All shortcodes should be banned from themes. If you want to include them, provide them as a separate plugin. Useless customization options should not be available too, example: “+1000 fonts to select from”. What I hate on themeforest themes is all the useless crap that authors include on it.

I totally I agree with you regarding some features that just bring loads and makes themes super sized. Unfortunately this become a culture in themeforest and if you want to compete you should include them. for example in our coming theme I did all my best to remove those things like many fontfaces, just very few remain that fits to design. I did all my best to keep theme below 6mb. there are some themes over 15mb and most of the hosts upload limit is below 10mb. so imagine the load of support and unhappy customers.

Regarding to the shortcodes, making them plugin without any proper guide will not solve the madness rather will bring many hassles. I think there should also be a guideline on how to downgrade if the user switches the theme.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

I know Japh said it would be a few days, but just wondering if we have a more concrete date/time for the final confirmed requirements? It’s now starting to hold back the development of a new theme we’re working on as I don’t particularly want to do it one way, and then have to change it all to adhere to the new requirements.
Thanks for your patience, sorry it’s taking longer than expected. As Jarel, our review manager, posted a couple of days ago, we’re still pulling everything together for the update, but it really won’t be long now. I would imagine early this week.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for being patient while we work to clarify the requirements. We’re aiming for an update post by later today, but I’m also working to clarify a few other things with the review team which might delay the post until tomorrow. We’ll have more information soon! :-)

707 posts
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Exclusive Author
ChillThemes says

Here’s a question WP developer’s should ask themselves; Would it be easier and faster to update a single plugin or go through each theme and update them one-by-one?

1 post
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
WowFactorThemes says

This thread seems like a fitting one for me to make my first post as a (soon to be) new author.

I must admit to being a little concerned after reading the new submission requirements for the first time, however after going over them (and this monstrous thread) more deeply I can confidently say that I am happy with them. There are grey areas to be sure, but I am sure they will be clarified in the coming days.

I’ve spent the last couple of days extracting the custom functionality from my theme into a plugin and the result is something I am both pleased with and excited by. I’ve been toying with the idea of separating non-essential functionality into a plugin for some time and this was just the encouragement I needed. I have great respect for those authors like Mike McAlister, WPExplorer etc. who have, for a long time, adopted this approach with their themes.

I will say, however, that I feel for some of the elite authors here who have their work cut out for them. As a new author it’s not difficult for me to fully comply with these new rules (I was 99% there anyway) and support is obviously not yet a consideration.

I’ve noticed the TGM plugin activation plugin throws a lot of ‘errors’ in Theme Check – that’s probably my biggest concern in all of this. As I’ve developed a page builder and have made use of a number of shortcodes, I am also looking forward to what is said about these two things. Any licensing/legal/practical implications of the move to plugins should also be interesting. I would have preferred to have kept the page builder integrated with the theme, but now that I’ve gone through the exercise of ‘pluginizing’ it I guess it doesn’t really matter too much either way.

Anyway, thanks and good luck to all!

70 posts
  • Exclusive Author
MJTheme says

you say :

Themes are required to eliminate REQUIRED, INFO and RECOMMENDED notices from the ‘Theme-Check’ plugin except the following: ? Warning: Found base64_encode() Warning: Found base64_decode()? Warning: Found fwrite()? Warning: Found fopen() ? Warning: Found fclose()? Info: Found include_once()
how about warning in theme-check plugins
22 posts General Manager Marketplaces
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Interviewed on the Envato Notes blog
HelenSouness says

Hi Everyone

We’ve been reading all your feedback over recent days. We’re really sorry that we didn’t do wider consulting before posting the new requirements. It’s one of our priorities to improve our comms and feedback with the community, and it’s clear in retrospect we could have done better here!

The guys are busy reviewing the requirements based on your feedback, as well as clarifying requirements where you’ve had questions. We are also looking at timelines to make sure any changes the requirements impose on your new items are very reasonable. You should hear from us within days on this.

It’s really important to us that we do not negatively impact your existing theme sales. We will not be reviewing existing items for at least six months, and when we do there will be plenty of warning, a lengthy transition period, minimal downtime and lots of support from the Review team.

Our goal as always is to serve you in the best way we can. We reckon clarifying WP theme requirements will ultimately do that, with your input, as well as ensuring ThemeForest stays the best in the business :-)

Thanks for your patience, and watch this space for amended requirements and reasonable timelines for new item requirements soon…

Helen

19 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
AvaxTheme says

hello guys
i read new guildline for create wordpress theme
i fixed all problem and many many resubmit but is rejected after 5rd submit.
after submit reviewer send me mail rejected and not comment why & whats part problem.
are you can help me why?
demo: http://demo.avaxtheme.com/blomix
theme based on new guidline. only shortcode in theme and not plugin. maybe is problem for reject?

692 posts Theme20.com
  • Won a Competition
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
+3 more
T20 says

hello guys
i read new guildline for create wordpress theme
i fixed all problem and many many resubmit but is rejected after 5rd submit.
after submit reviewer send me mail rejected and not comment why & whats part problem.
are you can help me why?
demo: http://demo.avaxtheme.com/blomix
theme based on new guidline. only shortcode in theme and not plugin. maybe is problem for reject?

Maybe is not a standard design

by
by
by
by
by
by