19 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
AvaxTheme says

hello guys
i read new guildline for create wordpress theme
i fixed all problem and many many resubmit but is rejected after 5rd submit.
after submit reviewer send me mail rejected and not comment why & whats part problem.
are you can help me why?
demo: http://demo.avaxtheme.com/blomix
theme based on new guidline. only shortcode in theme and not plugin. maybe is problem for reject?
Maybe is not a standard design
whats your mean not standard design? coding? or something else?
366 posts WordPress Guy
  • Envato Staff
  • Australia
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Reviewer
+1 more
Japh Staff says

whats your mean not standard design? coding? or something else?

Design refers to the visual component of your theme, not the code. Most likely, this was the basis for rejection.

Please do try to keep discussion on topic though, this thread is getting pretty long as it is! ;)

90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

I worked through WordPress Javascript files in wp-includes to see how they work with getting some of the jshint notices not showing and realized that WordPress Javascript does not even begin to pass jshint not even a little, not even the feintest not even…....................

So 5 hours in I’m still sitting with warnings particularly with regards to things like nonces declared at enqueueing time in the functions and not in the javascript functions that i’m writing, and all of the “experts” files I try to comb for answers leave me more and more sure that i will never submit a theme again because of jshint and no one really cares about jshint because no-ones files are passing jshint and now i’m back to the drawing board with hinting and returning to this forum

1. So please Japh, give us a hint man, what are the exact requirements with regards to hinting. 2. I herewith declare that i cheated and did have a few hinting warnings left in the last theme that I’m trying to submit.

AJ

49 posts creative.performance
  • Elite Author
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 000 and 250 000 dollars
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
mediacreed says

Hi Everyone

We’ve been reading all your feedback over recent days. We’re really sorry that we didn’t do wider consulting before posting the new requirements. It’s one of our priorities to improve our comms and feedback with the community, and it’s clear in retrospect we could have done better here!

The guys are busy reviewing the requirements based on your feedback, as well as clarifying requirements where you’ve had questions. We are also looking at timelines to make sure any changes the requirements impose on your new items are very reasonable. You should hear from us within days on this.

It’s really important to us that we do not negatively impact your existing theme sales. We will not be reviewing existing items for at least six months, and when we do there will be plenty of warning, a lengthy transition period, minimal downtime and lots of support from the Review team.

Our goal as always is to serve you in the best way we can. We reckon clarifying WP theme requirements will ultimately do that, with your input, as well as ensuring ThemeForest stays the best in the business :-)

Thanks for your patience, and watch this space for amended requirements and reasonable timelines for new item requirements soon…

Helen

So existing themes will have a 6 months grace period. Wouldn’t that be an advantage?

So themes already released with tons of shortcodes and other features will clearly have a longer period to gain sales, over the new ones who will just have to see the impact of the new standard.

Why not use a 6 month grace period for all themes( released or future releases). Details:

Let’s say you get a start date like 1st of August 2013 and until 1st of February 2014 you will approve and also send notices to users to update to the future standard. So if an author releases a theme and it is approved but doesn’t meets the future standard you will send them notices to do that until 1st of February 2014.

Therefore you are creating equal chances for everyone.

888 posts
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Bought between 50 and 99 items
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
Smartik says

I worked through WordPress Javascript files in wp-includes to see how they work with getting some of the jshint notices not showing and realized that WordPress Javascript does not even begin to pass jshint not even a little, not even the feintest not even…....................

So 5 hours in I’m still sitting with warnings particularly with regards to things like nonces declared at enqueueing time in the functions and not in the javascript functions that i’m writing, and all of the “experts” files I try to comb for answers leave me more and more sure that i will never submit a theme again because of jshint and no one really cares about jshint because no-ones files are passing jshint and now i’m back to the drawing board with hinting and returning to this forum

1. So please Japh, give us a hint man, what are the exact requirements with regards to hinting. 2. I herewith declare that i cheated and did have a few hinting warnings left in the last theme that I’m trying to submit.

AJ
Some of the errors reported by JSHint are ridiculous. Example:
'obj' is defined but never used.
and in my code I have this:
var obj   = jQuery(this);
obj.prev('.selector1');
obj.next('.selector2');

JSHint should be excluded from requirements list…

Edit: Strange, if I test only this code, it doesn’t generate an error. WTH

613 posts
  • Power Elite Author
  • Referred more than 2000 users
  • Power Elite Author: Sold between 2 000 000 - 4 999 999 dollars
  • Austria
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
+4 more
Kriesi says

Agreed. My suggestion would be to require all themes to run in strict mode. Never encountered a script that passes jshint. Not even wordpress core or jQuery itself :P

108 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • United Kingdom
  • Most Wanted Bounty Winner
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
designedbydash says

Agreed. My suggestion would be to require all themes to run in strict mode. Never encountered a script that passes jshint. Not even wordpress core or jQuery itself :P

+1, JSHint is way over the top and unless there’s a serious JS error in there it doesn’t matter too much.

248 posts
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
meks says

I’ve listened the radio show a few days ago. Couldn’t listen from the beginning but there were a discussion about shortcodes. The problem was when a user switches to another theme, all of the shortcodes of the old theme will be garbage. Nonsense texts. I was keep asking the main reason of these changes. If this is the main reason of the shortcode changes. I’ve got this idea ;

How about, if we make a shortcode list. That all of the authors will be using the same shortcode with same attributes. For example a map shortcode could be something like ;

[googlamap lat="" long="" type="" zoom="" scroll="" width="" height=""]
If the reason of the changes is to keep the user based content, then user will be able to use his/her content with the new theme with different style. But ofcourse these shortcodes must be organized very well. I’m sure I’m missing a few more attributes on this example map shortcode. But with a good research we can have a shortcode list that will be useful for everyone.

Or you can use our FREE plugin called Remove Orphan Shortcodes to hide any unused shortcode tags when you are switching to another theme :)

http://wordpress.org/plugins/remove-orphan-shortcodes/

Hope it helps! Cheers!

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

So existing themes will have a 6 months grace period. Wouldn’t that be an advantage?

So themes already released with tons of shortcodes and other features will clearly have a longer period to gain sales, over the new ones who will just have to see the impact of the new standard.

Why not use a 6 month grace period for all themes( released or future releases). Details:

Let’s say you get a start date like 1st of August 2013 and until 1st of February 2014 you will approve and also send notices to users to update to the future standard. So if an author releases a theme and it is approved but doesn’t meets the future standard you will send them notices to do that until 1st of February 2014.

Therefore you are creating equal chances for everyone.

We’ll be posting more details for the revised timelines / plan (and are open to feedback) today via the Notes blog, so stay tuned for that.

Basically, we’ll be aiming for roughly November to start requiring some of the bigger changes to the submission requirements for new items submitted. This should allow everyone enough time to make adjustments to their theme development workflow without significantly disrupting anything.

Applying these requirements to existing themes is a big project by itself, so we won’t be able to do both of these at the same time (which would also be higher risk and impact to authors with large existing portfolios). We want to make sure we approach library re-reviews carefully and work closely with authors to ensure its a smooth transition.

32 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Sweden
Deveraux says

The path to hell is paved with good intentions. -Saint Bernard of Clairvaux, c. 1150 BC

Some further changes are without a doubt needed to continue making themeforest a viable marketplace. I’m glad that some are listening to some of the comments and that we are allowded to integrate with facebook, twitter, flickr, dribble, instagram once again. But there are four really major things that will impact themeforest harder then what I think those that drafted it seem to realize.

WordPress Core API

9. Modification of the wpautop filter is not allowed.

To forbid removal of wpautop under all circumstances is very bad. Someone that has created a pagebuilder knows how to enable wpautop on normal posts (where wpautop is needed) but for pagebuilding posts wpautop must be off, because you get correct

directly from the customly created editors. Wpautop only serves to do one thing on page builder posts/pages and that is to break formating, shortcodes, it’s just adds a lot of extra space between paragraphs and make things look really bad. Point nine should be

9. Modification of wpautop on normal posts/pages are not allowed.

WordPress Features

9. Plugins should be included via the TGM Plugin Activation class.

Do you realize that authors will spend hundres of hours on support tickts because of that? It’s not productive. Just allow for installing plugins without any consent and the functionality will be ported. I can create a class for bypassing the regular install if I have time.

11. Inadmissible shortcodes: maps accordions and toggles boxed contents column contact forms charts.

I think you intend these things to be portable, but you don’t need shortcodes to any of the above. Do you want to forbid that as well? As long as you don’t forbid wp_nonce to be a shortcode the rest can be worked around.

HTML/CSS 3. No inline styles are allowed any where.

That means a themeforest without sliders, without CSS3 animations, CSS3 transitions. Every single slider uses “position:absolute; top: Xpx; left: Ypx;” for all text/video/image elements inside a slide. In general its a great idea to avoid inline stylesheets, but in some cases its just not possible. I hope themeforest doesn’t want to forbid sliders.

by
by
by
by
by
by