32 posts
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Sweden
Deveraux says

Agreed. My suggestion would be to require all themes to run in strict mode. Never encountered a script that passes jshint. Not even wordpress core or jQuery itself :P

All my scripts passes jshint. I’m not active here yet thou… :)

17 posts
  • Author had a File in a Mini Bundle
  • Europe
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
  • Referred between 10 and 49 users
prestahome says
HTML/CSS 3. No inline styles are allowed any where.

That means a themeforest without sliders, without CSS3 animations, CSS3 transitions. Every single slider uses “position:absolute; top: Xpx; left: Ypx;” for all text/video/image elements inside a slide. In general its a great idea to avoid inline stylesheets, but in some cases its just not possible. I hope themeforest doesn’t want to forbid sliders.

No, no – they say about inline styles in static content, not sliders, dynamic backgrounds etc.

32 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Sweden
Deveraux says

No, no – they say about inline styles in static content, not sliders, dynamic backgrounds etc.

That’s great in that case. Then there are only three major things that remains in my opinion.

274 posts mekshq.com
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Sold between 50 000 and 100 000 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • Referred between 50 and 99 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
meks says

Hi folks,

We would like to share some opinions and ask a few questions as well.

Strict rules

First of all, we think that there shouldn’t be a lot of “strict general rules” for all themes because each theme is unique in its own way. Of course, we should all stick to the WordPress best practices whenever possible but only if it doesn’t affect the author’s creativity as a key feature of some specific theme.

This can also limit the clients to setup the themes as they like. Don’t we all here agree that we make these themes for people who will use it and hopefully be happy using it? So, why limit the users?

Just a simple example:

7. Themes are not permitted to add options that define the number of posts to show on archive or category pages.
Why is that? What if I am a user and I would like to create two blog pages with different layout for two different categories, one to show 8 posts per page, other one to show 10 posts per page? And what if they ask, hey I would like to have different number of post for different category. Should we all say, hey sorry, it is against ThemeForest policy, so we can’t do that? Do you think that buyers really care about development policies? They want things to WORK… Please think about it.

Plugins vs Non-Plugins

We also think that it should be decided by theme authors, from theme to theme, as it is now. The key question is already asked, what about support? I don’t want to say to a client, ok, contact the plugin author. Because, client bought MY theme. Clients don’t care about what caused the problems, they want it to work properly, always. Some themes will work better with plugins included, some won’t so we really think that there shouldn’t be strict rules on this.

Changeover

We also think that policy changes for existing themes must not affect the buyers who already bought it. You can’t just say to all the buyers of your themes, hey you have learnt to do it one way, now we are going to change it because now it is against the ThemeForest policy. Clients don’t care about that.

We vote that all the existing themes don’t need to be strictly changed to a new policy. Perhaps only if they do an update.

Conclusion

Please understand that here in Meks we are always for improving, and we have seen a lot of outdated and bad themes. So new rules are always good, just don’t push it too hard. Use the better part of “two-bladed sword”.

Because if we all do this wrong, probably the only ones who will prosper are selfhosted theme marketplaces. Why? Because they have no limits for their users, happy users.

Cheers, Meks team

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Sold between 250 000 and 1 000 000 dollars
  • Elite Author
  • Has been a member for 5-6 years
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

I’m kinda wondering how the review process will go for all existing themes, if they don’t pass one of the req’s is that theme then soft-disabled until its fixed or are we notified with a grace period of lets say 5 days to remedy the problem and re-upload so we’re not losing out on sales. Especially for those of us like my self that have a massive portfolio of items and rely on TF as my sole full time income.

Wouldn’t want to wake up one day and find 75% of my portfolio soft-disable over a column shortcode being included directly into the theme.

2016 posts Review Manager
  • Envato Staff
  • Attended a Community Meetup
  • Australia
  • Beta Tester
  • Contributed a Blog Post
  • Contributed a Tutorial to a Tuts+ Site
  • Repeatedly Helped protect Envato Marketplaces against copyright violations
  • Sold between 5 000 and 10 000 dollars
+7 more
jremick Staff says

I’m kinda wondering how the review process will go for all existing themes, if they don’t pass one of the req’s is that theme then soft-disabled until its fixed or are we notified with a grace period of lets say 5 days to remedy the problem and re-upload so we’re not losing out on sales. Especially for those of us like my self that have a massive portfolio of items and rely on TF as my sole full time income. Wouldn’t want to wake up one day and find 75% of my portfolio soft-disable over a column shortcode being included directly into the theme.

We definitely want to work with authors in advance to minimize any potential portfolio downtime (to none if at all possible). The specifics of how this particular project will need to run have yet to be determined but we’ll give everyone advanced notice before anything happens.

1579 posts Chris Robinson
  • United States
  • Elite Author
  • Author had a File in an Envato Bundle
  • Referred between 500 and 999 users
  • Author had a Free File of the Month
+5 more
contempoinc says

I’m kinda wondering how the review process will go for all existing themes, if they don’t pass one of the req’s is that theme then soft-disabled until its fixed or are we notified with a grace period of lets say 5 days to remedy the problem and re-upload so we’re not losing out on sales. Especially for those of us like my self that have a massive portfolio of items and rely on TF as my sole full time income. Wouldn’t want to wake up one day and find 75% of my portfolio soft-disable over a column shortcode being included directly into the theme.
We definitely want to work with authors in advance to minimize any potential portfolio downtime (to none if at all possible). The specifics of how this particular project will need to run have yet to be determined but we’ll give everyone advanced notice before anything happens.

Good to know, thanks for the reply.

90 posts
  • Elite Author
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • South Africa
Net-Labs says

Agreed. My suggestion would be to require all themes to run in strict mode. Never encountered a script that passes jshint. Not even wordpress core or jQuery itself :P
All my scripts passes jshint. I’m not active here yet thou… :)

Great stuff, when your theme passes jshint with nonces, localization strings for the JavaScript functions, and is still properly enqueued let me know, I’ll buy for sure.

614 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Sold between 10 000 and 50 000 dollars
ChapterThemes says

I will surely need a lot more than 5 days just for a single theme. Not everyone can work full time on such things.

Another concern i have is maybe a lot of items will disappear. For example if it will take me really too much time to get a big theme to the new requirements, while the theme isn’t selling that well anymore – but is has to be adjusted or it’s disabled – i’ll start thinking of just removing the whole theme. Even though it would be a shame, but if it’s just too much work for an older theme…

988 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Elite Author
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 100 and 499 items
  • Referred between 200 and 499 users
  • Envato Studio (Microlancer) Beta Tester
+2 more
purethemes says

First, I’m all for changes, and I believe it will lead ThemeForest to be even more popular. But please explain me one thing – the shortcodes issue. What’s the point of moving it to plugin, if for each theme it is different case. We’ve got themes build for different grid systems, sometimes it’s skeleton, sometimes bootstrap, sometimes some custom solution, so even basic columns shortcode each time needs to return different html structure. So are we supposed to put ‘columns’ to a plugin, which will still be useless if user will switches theme to different one?

by
by
by
by
by
by