639 posts
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 3 years
  • Has sold $10,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 10+ items on Envato Market
  • Sells items exclusively on Envato Market
ChapterThemes says

I worked through WordPress Javascript files in wp-includes to see how they work with getting some of the jshint notices not showing and realized that WordPress Javascript does not even begin to pass jshint not even a little, not even the feintest not even…....................

So 5 hours in I’m still sitting with warnings particularly with regards to things like nonces declared at enqueueing time in the functions and not in the javascript functions that i’m writing, and all of the “experts” files I try to comb for answers leave me more and more sure that i will never submit a theme again because of jshint and no one really cares about jshint because no-ones files are passing jshint and now i’m back to the drawing board with hinting and returning to this forum

1. So please Japh, give us a hint man, what are the exact requirements with regards to hinting. 2. I herewith declare that i cheated and did have a few hinting warnings left in the last theme that I’m trying to submit.

AJ
Some of the errors reported by JSHint are ridiculous. Example:
'obj' is defined but never used.
and in my code I have this:
var obj   = jQuery(this);
obj.prev('.selector1');
obj.next('.selector2');

JSHint should be excluded from requirements list…

Edit: Strange, if I test only this code, it doesn’t generate an error. WTH

JSHint is impossible, it might be the worst tool ever if you ask me. Completely perfect code it always has something to whine about. JSHint is bad.

29 posts
  • Elite Author: Sold more than $75,000 on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 4 years
  • Had an item featured on Envato Market
+5 more
Softwebmedia says

First, I’m all for changes, and I believe it will lead ThemeForest to be even more popular. But please explain me one thing – the shortcodes issue. What’s the point of moving it to plugin, if for each theme it is different case. We’ve got themes build for different grid systems, sometimes it’s skeleton, sometimes bootstrap, sometimes some custom solution, so even basic columns shortcode each time needs to return different html structure. So are we supposed to put ‘columns’ to a plugin, which will still be useless if user will switches theme to different one?

+1

639 posts
ChapterThemes says

So are we supposed to put ‘columns’ to a plugin, which will still be useless if user will switches theme to different one?

If you create a descent column grid with CSS it will work in any theme. Use percentages instead of fixed pixels.

639 posts
ChapterThemes says

“Good job! JSHint hasn’t found any problems with your code.”

Well, with a couple of adjustments in one of my latest javascript files i managed to get a JSHint approval.

But still, you’ll need to make good JShint settings first, like setting jQuery etc.

Still think it should not be required though.

1032 posts It's in the pipeline!
  • Has sold $500,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has been part of the Envato Community for over 6 years
+7 more
purethemes says

So are we supposed to put ‘columns’ to a plugin, which will still be useless if user will switches theme to different one?
If you create a descent column grid with CSS it will work in any theme. Use percentages instead of fixed pixels.
That’s not always possible and doesn’t make sense to duplicate CSS – skeleton grid is fixed, bootstrap can be fixed or fluid, there are different sizes and different approaches to grids in CSS, you won’t make everyone happy. It would be better to make standardized names for those shortcodes, so every author will use the same ‘names’, switching theme will still give you the same column. And what about other things? We are far away from “just blog” themes, we need to put so many different elements like “feature boxes”, “team boxes”, slideshows etc etc, and we have to do it using shortcodes, no one will put “html snippets” to recreate those elements. That still will be useless after changing theme. I’m all for other changes but the shortcodes is slippery slope
639 posts
ChapterThemes says

That’s not always possible and doesn’t make sense to duplicate CSS – skeleton grid is fixed, bootstrap can be fixed or fluid, there are different sizes and different approaches to grids in CSS, you won’t make everyone happy. It would be better to make standardized names for those shortcodes, so every author will use the same ‘names’, switching theme will still give you the same column. And what about other things? We are far away from “just blog” themes, we need to put so many different elements like “feature boxes”, “team boxes”, slideshows etc etc, and we have to do it using shortcodes, no one will put “html snippets” to recreate those elements. That still will be useless after changing theme. I’m all for other changes but the shortcodes is slippery slope

Pfff oh my goodness here we go with ‘the same names’ again.

That’s such a bad bad bad idea, with no use at all.

I have a grid CSS ‘framework’, with just a couple of lines, which works in ANY theme. Just make an setting for people to set the gutter or something. Just don’t use those way too blownup grid drama from those superstar frameworks.

And you can still always use shortcodes for that. It just has to be in a plugin.

433 posts Keep Walking
  • Has sold $125,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
+2 more
UXbarn says

What if I use Visual Composer plugin for shortcodes (elements) and want to override some default shortcodes with mine? Do I need to create an additional plugin just for that overriding stuff?

2023 posts Review Manager
  • Has referred 10+ members
  • Has sold $5,000+ on Envato Market
  • Has collected 100+ items on Envato Market
  • Member of the Envato Team
+12 more
jremick Envato team says

Hi everyone!

We’ve just posted the updated submission requirements and made the announcement here: http://notes.envato.com/news/update-wordpress-theme-submission-requirements/

We’ve opened a new forum thread for further feedback and discussion here: http://themeforest.net/forums/thread/update-wordpress-theme-submission-requirements/103347

Thanks so much, everyone! :-)

by
by
by
by
by
by