1034 posts
  • Microlancer Beta Tester
  • Exclusive Author
  • Sold between 100 and 1 000 dollars
  • Bought between 1 and 9 items
  • United Kingdom
  • Has been a member for 2-3 years
BenSheppard says

I was wondering if I could have a few opinions from people.

I’m starting to want a mac more and more and i’ve heard lots of good stuff about it, people rave on about how their workflow is better and it’s generally easy to use.

Hopefully I’d be using it on travels so I’d be opting for a Macbook instead of a imac or mac pro for the moment.

I’m leaning to the 13” 2.9GHz Macbook Pro / 15” Instead of the retina version for bigger hard drive / faster CPU, However with the retina using an SSD an external hard drive would get rid of the space issue.

Would the difference from 2.9GHz i7 to 2.5GHz i5 be that much of a difference?

What’s up with all the operating systems? Mountain lion and such, there seems to be about 4 out?

I’d love to hear your opinion on what would be the best and if it’s actually worth it’s price tag!

2429 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Bought between 10 and 49 items
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
digitalimpact says

Hey Ben,

My advice would be, if you have the money, to get a Retina MBP. They’re much faster than the regular MBPs, the display is stunning, they make less noise (I rarely hear the fans, and that’s only when I run very demanding apps), don’t heat up as much and they’re lighter.

I have a retina MBP since September and I’m very satisfied with the experience, especially since I’ve been using Windows my whole life. Got the base model with 16GB RAM. Also, if going for a retina MBP, max it out as much as you can, you won’t be able to add SSD/RAM after purchasing.

Operating systems – in terms of versioning, think of Windows XP, Vista, 7, 8. When buying a Mac, you get the latest OS with it (that would be Mountain Lion now). Also, OS upgrades are pretty cheap, I believe the last one was $19 if I’m not mistaking.

Price tag is a whole discussion on its own. I spent almost 3000 Euros on my rMBP alone when I got it, but I don’t regret a single cent. For me personally, it’s a far better experience than with other machines that I ran Windows on. What sucks is that everything made for or by Apple, is premium priced, even if you get a laptop stand…

Hope this helps :)

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

That’s good too know, do you find most websites to be blurry with a retina display though? Have you got 13” or 15”?

I think I’d only go for min SSD and get usd extended hard drives, would normal usb ones work with it?

I’ve just had a look about the OS and it’s just like a naming convention, how android is called jelly bean and such

I have noticed everything seems to carry the price tag, like a laptop bag for like £120

Thanks, has helped a lot! I plan to go to an apple store soon, see if I can play with one for a bit

319 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 3-4 years
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
familychoice says

I bought the non-retina 15” version a few months back and absolutely love it. If I could have justified the extra cost then I would have bought the retina version, but at the end of the day it’s not really an issue. The non-retina does have some advantages though, such as dual sound connections and some user-updatable components.

I hadn’t used a Mac for over ten years and have been completely PC based, but after becoming frustrated with Windows, and not liking the look of Windows 8, decided to try a Mac laptop for the office.

Conclusion: it’s been a fantastic machine to work on and I love the Mac OS. When our PC’s need replacing we’re going to swap these for iMacs and eventually become completely Mac based.

You can keep costs down by buying non-Apple branded extras, for example we use standard PC external hard drives for back ups rather than the expensive Mac Time Machine version.

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

I bought the non-retina 15” version a few months back and absolutely love it. If I could have justified the extra cost then I would have bought the retina version, but at the end of the day it’s not really an issue. The non-retina does have some advantages though, such as dual sound connections and some user-updatable components.

I hadn’t used a Mac for over ten years and have been completely PC based, but after becoming frustrated with Windows, and not liking the look of Windows 8, decided to try a Mac laptop for the office.

Conclusion: it’s been a fantastic machine to work on and I love the Mac OS. When our PC’s need replacing we’re going to swap these for iMacs and eventually become completely Mac based.

Wow that’s a pretty massive statement!

So to you the retina wasn’t worth the extra amount? I’m stuck on that line too

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

Also the max for macbook pro seems to be 8GB 1600GHz RAM?

2429 posts
  • Has been a member for 4-5 years
  • Exclusive Author
  • Europe
  • Referred between 100 and 199 users
digitalimpact says

Got the 15”, most sites look fine. Don’t believe what everyone says on the internet, go and test it yourself in a store – you’ll see most of the things you heard aren’t all true (I went through this as well). And of course, any USB device works. I personally got a Western Digital 1 TB external HDD that is USB 3, so I can use the high speed.

Anyway, it’s a good idea to test out as much as possible before purchasing. I went to the store several times to test the retina MBP and asked friends to let me fiddle with their non-retinas for as much as I could, to see how the OS workflow is like (coming from Windows, I had a 1-2 months learning curve, but it now feels natural).

RAM-wise – maybe now 16GB isn’t all that necessary as an SSD is, but it will matter over time, especially with a non-upgradeable laptop such as the Retina MBP. Again, if going for retina, max it out ;)

248 posts
  • Referred between 1 and 9 users
  • Sold between 1 and 100 dollars
  • Exclusive Author
  • Has been a member for 1-2 years
  • Romania
bodorobodo says

I have the 2012 MPB, 13’’ with 4GB of RAM and I never had any kind of problem with speed or memory. I spent around 1200 euro on it and it’s great. The greatest thing of all, putting aside the great looks, the OS, the screen, the battery’s last time (which is still more than 6 hours, maybe even 7), it’s the track-pad. It takes you a day or two to get use to it. After that, you will never want to touch any other kind of input device, besides the keyboard. The minuses are only a few; I don’t like how the OS handles the pictures in folders and I’m still very confused about how to totally erase an application.

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

I just spoke to some live help on apple store, they said the max for macbook pro would be 8GB RAM sadly, I’m thinking 128gb SSD with a 2tb wireless hard drive / 2tb USB3, 15” but haven’t decided on retina or not yet, can you notice a crisper display on movies and such?

I’ve seen certain stuff on mac that seems brilliant like the file system where you go through layers and certain apps, the app system on windows 8 seems rather clunky and for some reason on windows I can only have windows full screen but on mac it just seems to work without having it full screen all the time

1034 posts
  • Exclusive Author
  • United Kingdom
BenSheppard says

I have the 2012 MPB, 13’’ with 4GB of RAM and I never had any kind of problem with speed or memory. I spent around 1200 euro on it and it’s great. The greatest thing of all, putting aside the great looks, the OS, the screen, the battery’s last time (which is still more than 6 hours, maybe even 7), it’s the track-pad. It takes you a day or two to get use to it. After that, you will never want to touch any other kind of input device, besides the keyboard. The minuses are only a few; I don’t like how the OS handles the pictures in folders and I’m still very confused about how to totally erase an application.

I have slightly used the track pad and it seems brilliant and really smooth, would getting a magic mouse be a good idea? I use a USB mouse with my current laptop instead of the track pad as it’s a lot easier

by
by
by
by
by
by